Rabalais Spring Game Take

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

"If you watched LSU’s spring game and expected a revolution on offense, you probably came away disappointed. Not to say the passing game didn’t show promise. It did. But the Tigers will remain rooted in their power-running tendencies."

That doesn't sound like something you hang your hat on or hold your breath for.

On the defensive side of the ball, you actually have a legit coach and here are the comments:

"The defense is what continues to draw raves. With three to four starters sidelined, the unit got a lot of pressure on the quarterbacks (the offensive line was also without three starters) and makes you think that Aranda will work some considerable magic with the talent at his disposal."

Get rid of Les Miles and you just might have a complete team.

lsu-i-like, Don Castavez and Richdog like this.
  3. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

The only bright spot was Etling. He looks like he belongs out there. Obviously he hasn't been in the system long enough for Clown Cameron to screw him up. Defense looks like it will be ok. It's still under construction. Aranda may be next head coach at LSU. Lord knows they need one.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think they must have had some sort of contract with the SEC network to fit it into 2 hours or something. The bottom line is that spring games are for the coaches, not the fans. It was set up mainly like a scrimmage, and many of the starters weren't even playing at all because of recovering from injuries, etc.

The offensive line was especially a patch-work crew, and with no contact on the QB's, it was hard to tell much with them. Etling threw a few nice balls, but he also was reckless with the ball, so you may know what that means for him if he won't protect the ball. Fournette had a few flashes, but it's really difficult to tell how your team's going to be when you see them against each other.

I feel like we have really upgraded at defensive coordinator, and that will be huge because we need our defense to dominate, and our QB play to be "good enough." It fell short of that last year, though I thought Harris performed well enough until his injury at Alabama. After that, it went downhill.

It was pretty low-scoring, but seeing Tennessee's score was 70-63 would scare me worse than the score we had. I didn't watch it live because I was watching ballet at the Plano Dance Festival, but saw the Tennessee score when I turned on my DVR.

P&G_wheelz007 likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

All spring games are like that for the most part. But the fans in some places turn out.....seriously turn out. UGa set an SEC record I think with 93,000 and Ahia St had over 100k? That is nutso. LA sucks and people are generally lazy so I'm guessing USC had around 5-6k.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Our idea of mixing it up on offense is whether we run left then right on first and second down as opposed to left twice.

Richdog, lsu-i-like and islstl like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If you expected a revolution on offense you have bigger problems than LSU football. Generally speaking not you personally.

Richdog, TwistedTiger and islstl like this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

There are far better things to do in LA. My parents were in Santa Monica on the beach this weekend, when my mom facetimed me it was packed. I asked my sister if she was going to swim out past the breaker and watch the world die, and she didn't get it. :(

tzanghi and StaceyO like this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

A little Artie Alexakis for ya right there. Great tune

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The weather this weekend was amazing.....but still. Tickets have been on sale for awhile and nobody knew then what the weather would be. The truth is, LA fans are wishy-washy snobs. Win and they show up.....lose and you have a table for one.

Sadly, I think the drama surrounding our program for the last 5-7 years has hurt the brand. I'm tired of it. This is the first year in a long time that I've skipped the spring game. I'm content to wait for the season to see what Helton is capable of.