Racism: Just in Case

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Apr 8, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

[​IMG]

Well, it should be interesting to see how this goes over.

1 person likes this.
  2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Whitey is packin heat but he left the rounds in the car. PLUS he intends on crossing a double yellow outside the presence of a pedestrian crosswalk. That is bad.

3. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

you cross the street ,you are a rascist...you don't cross the street because you don't want anybody to think you are a rascist...you are a rascist...

and last if you continue walking on the same side of the street and it doesnt even cross your mind ,this situation might be dangerous...you are an idiot

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Reminds of a scene from the movie "Crash." One of the best movies I've seen. I think it even went on to win best movie at the Academy Awards.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

It really takes me back the kind of sutle racism on this forum. The situation might be dangerous because a black person is walking on the same side of the street. Wow!

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I've always thought that many people in the South didn't really "cross the street" to avoid black people because we live around black people and see them everywhere.

Once, my high school boyfriend's cousins from Iowa came to visit, and we went to New Orleans for the day. They were cowering down in the back seat at the gas station "because there are black people here," and they didn't feel comfortable walking the streets of the French Quarter "because there are black people here." The Audubon Zoo made them nervous "because there are black people here."

My boyfriend and I thought they were nuts, and yes, just a wee bit racist.

I don't think it's the color of people's skin that should make someone nervous, but rather, the way they present themselves to the world. Does a person look like a thug, or not? Now, I've been teaching for 16 years, so I'm accustomed to seeing white, black, Hispanic, and Asian thugs in the halls--and also perfectly wonderful kids of all colors in the halls. It's in the way a person presents him or herself.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

lol,
    you are right, it is the way a person presents themselves and people should always be aware of their surrondings.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Two comments:

1. The cartoon is a comic reference to current events, not an indicator of racism on Tigerforums. Barrack Obama made the comment that his white mother would cross the street if black men were approaching.

2. Crossing the street may have been something that seemed effective to her in Ohio. In Louisiana, there are black men on both sides of the street. If you want to avoid black people in the deep south, you have to stay at home. And nobody does. White southerners are not generally uncomfortable around black people, we've lived among them all our lives.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

my comment have nothing to do with yours, I wasnt referring to either comments that you have posted, just the one, that I highlighted. IMO, there is some on this forum, whether you acknowledge it or not.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've seen this too. I think it is because in Iowa is mostly rural and lily white. The farmers are all white, the small towns are all white. Where Iowans see blacks is most often in their high-crime urban areas. It gives them misperceptions.

I've had yankee visitors who were surprised and amazed to discover that there are large numbers of rural blacks in Louisiana, farming, riding horses, wearing cowboy hats and driving pickup trucks. We have small-town blacks and middle-class neighborhood blacks. In many towns "up nawth", there is a white side of town and a black side of town "across the tracks", while most southern cities are a patchwork of white and black neighborhoods.