Racism: Just in Case

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Apr 8, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

ok, my mistake

Honestly, I used to be a cowboy, with a bit of a temper, I never backed down from a fight. I would walk on the same side just to prove a point in my younger days (Im not that old), but now that I have gotten married, my wife has calmed me down alot and I have an understanding of just letting somethings go.

Also, I am very suspicious of people in places, restaurants, bars, corner stores, I always say under my breath as a joke "please rob the place after I leave" lol Thugs are thugs, no matter what color I am suspicious and I maybe even stereotype people on the way they dress. I cant stand to see the pants hanging down with a t-shirt thats 4X to big.

2. LSUgirlinTx

LSUgirlinTx Is it game time yet?

I am guilty as hell on that one.
    I am also suspicious really scruffy/dirty looking people. I guess I'm an appearanceist.

I've been very humbled on at least two occasions where I thought that a thug looking kid was going to be a jerk and a scruffy looking guy in an old beat up car was going to say something disgusting to me- both helped me out and were total gentleman.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

myself.

There is a small part of town I drive through everyday on my way home. It is filled with thug types that appear to be proud of their loser appearance, and tough "street cred". They have no regard for the 4 lane Hwy passing through the neighnorhood, and walk right out into traffic, and sometimes even congregate in one lane for a few minutes.

Who knows, these guys may all be bright, friendly individuals who would never harm a fly. But you bet your arse I lock my doors and don't slow down when I drive thtrough.

4. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

My job has me out very early in the morning .I try to always size up a convenience store before i go in to get my cup of coffee.Any suspicious characters ,i might wait till the next store.

Also ,prior to katrina ,I had a nieghbor living directly across the street .He is heavily tattoeed ,shaved head ,long goatee beard.He looks like he could be a member of the "Hell's Angels"I had not spoken to him in the 2 years we lived here prior to Katrina.As katrina approached ,everyone of my neighbors was outside talking.I met this guy for the first time.He is an anesthesiologist,and one of the nicest people i have ever met, but he sure does look menacing.In the weeks after Katrina , we had to cook outside on a coleman stove. We both have water wells for water.My generator was hooked up to the refrigerator and we cooked here,his was hooked up to his water well ...we showered there. I think about how stupid i was prior to Katrina for never talking to this guy...

5. LSUMASTERMIND

thats pretty freaking cool, situations like that bring people together in strange ways.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Nothing would make me go into a convenience store at 2 in the morning. Risk vs. reward.

1 person likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Have to tell you about one experience I had when I was in New Orleans. It was for a work conference and the same week as a HS football playoff thing so the city was filled with people from all over the South. I got into a taxi van along with a white family from Kentucky if I remember correctly. Our driver was black. For the short ride to the family's destination, all I heard them say were things I would consider racist and frankly would probably get their azzez kicked for in Cali. They got out of the taxi and I started a conversation with the driver asking him for recommendations for food, etc. He talked to me for a bit and then abruptly told me we had to stop because we were getting close to a "black" area and it wouldn't look good if he were seen talking to whites. :eek:

Perhaps it was an unusual experience or isolated, I don't know but it's always stuck with me.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

lol, he probably was under orders from the slickest of the slickters Al Sharpton, not to be caught talking to white folks.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I have to admit that I bring my own ignorance to the table too at times. I nearly had a stroke the first time I saw the word coonass here. Had never heard it before and it struck a nerve until it was explained to me.

When I was in Australia I saw a TV commercial for a brand of Cheese called Coon. The tag line was, "put some Coon in your refigerator". Tough explaining to the locals why that was different for me. Aussies have a strange sense of humor anyway.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hell I stopped to get gas at 1am this past weekend when some dude came and asked for directions said he'd been walking too far. Claimed to be in town visiting his daughter and went for your usual stroll, out of state, at 1am in the morning. likely story.

Saw him after I filled up about 1/2 mile down the road and picked him up.

drove him to his destination a few miles away. he didnt shoot me or nothing.

so now i have a black friend when i ever go to detroit.

we is tha realist killas. thug life, my fn lil homies.

1 person likes this.