Racist question

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

And I'll say the same thing about them should they choose so. They'd be cowards.

No, that's not what a filibuster is. Besides, if they could have gotten a filibuster through, they would have. My guess is either they tried and it was blocked (2/3 majority), or they just never tried. If what they did was a filibuster, then I'd have had no problem with it because that is a normal procedure.

Actually, what they did was more like quorum-busting. This practice has been frowned upon for the last 100+ years or so, but for some reason the Democrats still do it when faced with certain defeat in legislative proceedings (Ex. Texas 2003, WI 2011, etc). I guess I shouldn't act so shocked, Democrats have a history of pulling stunts like that, even as far back as 1890...

"..Reed even ordered the doors of the chamber locked when Democrats tried to exit; instead, Democrats began hiding under their desks, which left Reed undeterred in counting them."

Cowards then, cowards now.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A filibuster is within the rules. Elected adults playing hide and seek is not.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home waaawaaawaaaa

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Hey you guys see it one way, I see it another. If Republicans were to all walk out and go to another state over something like the healthcare bill you guys would have championed them also, so lets not kid ourselves. What they did was pretty damn brilliant. Sit back and watch all these Republicans in Wisconsin get recalled.

5. Swerved

No, I just said in my previous post, I'd have called them cowards just like I'm calling those 14 Dems from WI. Stop projecting. Honestly, were it up to me they would be dismissed. You don't walk off the job, AND keep the job in the real world. This is yet another example of how out of touch Democrats (and politicians) are with reality.

As for your speculative notion, they didn't do that on healthcare; that's exactly my point. Even though the majority of the people in this country were (and still are) against that abomination of a bill, they stayed and voted. Even after watching months of strong-arming, backroom deals, kickbacks (bribery IMO), just to get support for the bill that nobody even knew the contents of, they stayed and voted like they were expected to by their constituents. Had they pulled some stunt like that, they likely would have been voted out of office because their constituents didn't put them there to play games, they put them there to represent them. That doesn't entail running away when things aren't going well.

1 person likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

Well then you my friend are a rare breed. I bet if you polled the right, about 90% of them would have said that they would have supported a Republican walk out on a healthcare vote.

The thing is, it's not like they were leaving because they thought it would change anything. They were going to have to eventually come back, and the vote would have been the same. What they were doing was getting the state of Wisonsin and part of the nation for that matter behind them, you and others see them as cowards, myself and others see it as a brilliant strategy.

7. Swerved

Yeah I know, but you guys are wrong... that's what I've been trying to tell you this whole time! :wave: :yelwink2:

8. LaSalleAve

wouldn't be the first time man. I'm kind of used to it at this point in my life. :D

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

for some of us it isnt about being a partisan hack

10. LaSalleAve

all apologies then sir.