Raise for Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Lasportstonight, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Lasportstonight

Lasportstonight Freshman

Just like I did pre-season, I am now proposing that Nick Saban receive a significant raise and some sort of parachute or windfall that would give him great incentive to stay at LSU long-term. I proposed that Nick receive $5 Million bonus for staying another five years and $10 Million if he stayed ten years. Some of you thought this suggestion was outrageous.

Maybe I was even a little low with some of the rumors that I have been hearing about a ten year $30-35 million deal. As I said BEFORE the season, Nick is worth every penny!

2. jpatin

jpatin Freshman

Not a good idea. I'm sure Nick Saban is the most motivated coach there is, but large up front bonuses make people soft and complacent. I much prefer the pay as you go based on results approach.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I don't think Nick Saban knows what soft and complacent means.....

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Currently in his contract he does get bonuses. Having a 10-win season is one of the milestones as is winning and SEC Title, Bowl Game and a National Title. I like the idea of a somewhat performance based salary for people in the sports business.

This would be great for the NFL. Have a base salary for a position and number of years in the league. Bonuses are given for certain statistical milestones.

5. trixi

trixi Founding Member

According to Saban's current contract, if he wins the sugar bowl, he will get paid $1 more than the highest paid college coach.
    The irony: that coach is Bob Stoops, who currently earns $2.5 million a year.

6. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I know alot of fans and alum that will make sure Saban makes way more than $1 more.

They will have a fund raiser and Saban will get a huge bonus.

7. VanGeaux

VanGeaux Founding Member

How much is Saban at? Isnt it around $1.6?

8. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I think that's right...and Phat Fulmer is at $1.65...it's embarrassing that he makes more than Saban. Saban deserves a raise for what he's done in just four years at LSU. When LSU beats OU, he'll be well over $2 million...and the rest of the Saban family will find Baton Rouge to be even more of a wonderful place to live!