Ralph Nader

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tiger fan 2001, Feb 22, 2004.

1. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Now that RN has announced his run for Pres. Does anyone think he will pull enough votes from the democratic party to insure a Republican victory? Or will his candidacy be a non event.

2. phatcat

phatcat Founding Member

Nader is Bush's most valuable hole card.

"If Ralph Nader runs, President Bush is going to be re-elected," Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie said on CBS"s "Face the Nation."

Nader's run for the presidency could very well prove to tip the balance for the republicans in a closely contested 2004 election, just as it did in 2000 in the states of Florida and New Hampshire.

As the Green Party's nominee in 2000, Nader appeared on the ballot in 43 states and Washington, D.C., garnering only 2.7 percent of the vote. But in Florida and New Hampshire, Bush won such narrow victories that had Gore received the bulk of Nader's votes in those states, he would have won the general election.

In my opinion, Nader should be ashamed of himself for his compelling need for personal attention and self agrandisement to the detriment of his nation.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He's running as an independent this year, not with the Green Party. He doesn't have the money or staff to get on the ballot in very many states. He lost a very large amount of credibility with swing voters and Democrats in 2000 when his candidacy cost Gore the election.

I don't think he will swing many voters this time. He's just taking yet another opportunity to get his opinions some publicity.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think Nader a consumer advocate = awesome. As a president i think he = suck. I do think he cares more about Americans than any other candidate,

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

One of Ralph Nadar's eye's is gettin a lot bigger than the other.....kinda scary

6. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Does anyone know what caused the split between Nader and the Green Party?

7. Erin Krohl

Erin Krohl Founding Member

I hope Dems and independents are paying attention and THINK!!!! I realize this is too much to ask...Last week a 20-something single mom told me that she's voting for Bush because of the earned kid credit thing - oh please - THINK , READ get informed on what this administration is doing and what the candidates are saying now (of course they're lying because they're moving their lips). This is why I'm a registered independent and there is no way in hell I'd give Nader the satisfacion of screwing things up twice

8. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

From what I can tell from the news coverage, they think he is a sell out and only out for himself. They said he no longer shows up in Washington and did not come out against a few "roll back " polocies of the Bush administration. That kind of rough but its what I heard.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

No one owns votes and people will only vote for him if they want him to be president. This myth that he steals votes or swings is ludicrous. We decide who is on the ballot and have free will to vote on who we wish. Who is to say if the people who vote for him would not have voted at all if he had not ran? Either way it doesn't make a lot of sense.

10. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

I doubt if Nader will get the same votes as in 2000. One thing that has been clearly pointed out to everyone is that there is a great deal of difference between the two parties.

Many Nader voters claimed there was no difference.

The anger against Bush is fierce and widespread. If Bush has done one good thing it might be to awaken mainstream America to the threat the right wing poses.