Ramen Noodles Can Kill You

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Aug 14, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member Staff Member

We have some in the pantry because we have a teenager. He thinks that is "cooking" and we are confident in him doing so without burning the house down. In reflection I think I'm going to let him try a flambe` real soon, anyway, I will eat one once in a while. Gotta have the cheese in it though.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not like a can of Campbells soup was expensive.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's what I always wondered whenever I would hear about some poor person eating dog food. Even if you can't afford Campbell's there are store brands that are cheaper. Pork and beans are cheap too. A pound of red beans and a little bit of rice will feed a person for a few days even if they can't afford to put meat in it.

4. red55

I lived on $350 a month in college. Ate a lot of Campbells soup and 19-cent generic Mac-and-cheese dinners.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In those days that would still leave you with money for beer and those $10 full ounce bags of weed.
    My first apartment was a house on Oleander Street that had been divided into two apartments. Rent was $60 a month but it was unfurnished except for a stove and a fridge. I moved in about the time the spring semester was ending so a few trips to the Tigerland dumpsters and I had a bed, a couch, some chairs and even a TV that worked. Its amazing what college kids will throw away.

TigersTailgating and StaceyO like this.
  6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Mac and cheese was also really cheap.

Back in my mid-20's, I ate on $20 a week. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that anymore.

7. red55

120 bucks a pound . . . and we thought it was expensive.

Mine was a duplex on Leaway. $86 a month, the extra buck was for the Orkin man.

I ate a lot of 49-cent hand-made chalupas at Pedro's way before Taco Bell came along and put them out of business. The red beans at Magoos were cheap. And it was all-you-can eat for $1.49 at Pancho's. We found ways to stretch a buck. Students today have to do the same thing only with x10 expenses. They say the best deal in town for the frugal is two tacos for 99 cents at Jack-in-the-box.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I went to Magoo's one time and they had free jambalaya. It was pretty good and I ate three plates of it. It turned out that Phil had cooked it with those mushrooms they used to find growing out of cow turds in the levee.

EDIT: The Magoo burgers were very good. If they were still around they would be worthy of a mention in the Best Burger Thread

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Those Jack-in-the-Box tacos can barely qualify as food. Talk about nasty!

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  10. red55

Like . . . how do you screw up a taco?