Rams/Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 15, 2013.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The Rams D-line is great and Robert Quinn is the best pure pass rusher in football right now.

I'm just disappointed in Sean Payton's game plan and how did not protect Charles Brown with sufficient chipping. After experiencing the exact same thing happening in 2011 against a much better Saints offense, it baffles me that Sean would not learn his lesson. But that's the bragaddocio of Sean Payton. And ultimately his downfall in these situations.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Exactly. As brilliant a play caller as he is, that is sometimes tempered by his arrogance and him trying to get too cute. Like that reverse late in the game. WTF was that? I know people are down and Charles Brown and he does deserve partial blame, but the same thing happened to Jermon Bushrod against Dallas in '09, when Demarcus Ware abused him and harrassed Drew all night. And most would agree that Bushrod is head and shoulders better LT then Brown. Get the man some help, run screens and draws to that side, keep an extra TE in to help, anything would have been better then just letting Quinn roam free.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I will have to go back and change my opinion on Payton regarding this circumstance.

On NFC Playbook this week, Sean O'Hara showed what went wrong on the plays involving Brown. He actually had help on the very first play from the fullback to chip (on his outside shoulder). Knowing that, Brown has to keep leverage to the inside not allowing Quinn to break through. Well Brown let him get inside of him and he hits Drew just as he is releasing the ball and it gets intercepted. Showed another sack and he again had chipping help and he once again let Quinn get inside of him. That's the play were Drew fumbled the ball and we lost possession.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yep, I saw that too. That's why Brown is sitting this week in place of rookie Terron Armstead. From what's being said, this kid is a beast, has been tearing it up in practice and has the talent and work ethic to be a great one, but he's never played a single down in the NFL. Therein lies the question - if he's been so impressive, then why hasn't he gotten any playing time before now, even if it was just to 'spell' Brown on a play or 2?