Randall had touch

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Jan 1, 2003.

1. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Until he hurt his ankle/calf. His performance before he got hurt was fantastic. After he got hurt, it was clear his injury was affecting each throw he made.

Texas played an opportunistic game, but Randall getting hurt was the turning point of the game. That he was able to stay in the game, and take all the hits he did, was phenominal. The QB job is Randall's to lose next year IMO.

Hats off to Texas' and LSU's star WR's - Williams and Clayton. They were the two best football players on the field, and no one else was even close (other than Redding of Texas).

LSU's achilles heal since the day Saban arrived has been the play of the secondary. Once again it cost LSU a win. Saban doesn't have to promise DB recruits early playing time if they sign with the Tigers. If they watched the game today, and LSU's loss to Arkansas before it, they can see the opportunity for themselves to play early at LSU. I can see two freshman starting for LSU in the secondary next year.

The Tigers' effort made me proud today. I can't wait until the recruiting bashes, and next year's first game at Arizona.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Ellsu, for once I must disagree. Randall had touch ?? I guess I missed the boat, because from my seat Randall was the whole reason we lost the game. If he could have hit a basic slant pattern LSU could have been down 1 TD with 4 minutes left. I know I am hard on the guy, but he missed open reciever after open reciever, he could not even hit RB's dump plays.

If he was hurt (Which I missed) then I guess I will eat some crow. But man, from where I was sitting this was as bad a performace as Auburn, except his passes were so off even UT could not catch them.

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

He was hurt, and both the announcers (Tim Green and Ron Pitts, who were ex-football players themselves) mentioned repeatedly that Randall wasn't the same after getting hurt. They said it many times throughout the telecast

Randall got hurt running out of bounds in the 2Q. He landed bad on his ankle trying to slow up, and you could see immediately something was wrong. He was hopping badly. My immediate though within a second or two was he's coming out of the game, and then I said to myself oh shi_, we're done. But not only did he suck it up, he then almost ran for that long touchdown a couple of plays later, but his passing was never the same after the injury, and his running digressed to the point where he became a complete non-threat. It was night and day. He was playing as good as he's ever played before getting hurt, and then played erratically afterwards.

If anyone present couldn't notice that Randall got hurt, which I can understand, it's because of how he tried to refuse to let the injury get the best of him. But he was hurt, and many lesser QB's would have took a seat on the bench.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

TexasTiger, I agree 100% with you. I appreciate EELSU1's point of view. With Randall at QB next year we can expect more of the same. I will pray that Matt is healthy and back. First I don't agree it's Randall's job to lose. He didn't win the job, he tried to fill it because Matt was injured. It should be Matt's to lose. I don't think he was injured to the point it was made out to be. If you are hurting that bad, you don't come right back and run 75 yards as he did. He got caught not because of injury, but the UT player had the position on him. Remember, he has constantly put LSU in position to lose. He did nothing to aid the team against Bama. In fact, after BJ ran a fake punt for a first down and deep in Bama turf, who put the ball on the ground? Randall did. I didn't see anything different in Randall's overthrown passes today than any other time. He played with heart and he is buff but he don't have the stuff. Booze is great...sex is free..we want mauck in 2003.

5. TexasTigers

Next year, I think Saban may feel for the first time the wrath of LSU fans if Randall is the starting QB.

Look at his record over the last 6 games. I am not questioning the kid or his heart. My point is, he just has no talent. Sure he can run, but he could not complete a simply 10 yard slant pass.

Anyway, the LSU faithfull will demand Marcus be replaced. We may have nothing better, but we have to at least try to find something better.

6. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<<< Look at his record over the last 6 games. I am not questioning the kid or his heart. My point is, he just has no talent. Sure he can run, but he could not complete a simply 10 yard slant pass.

Anyway, the LSU faithfull will demand Marcus be replaced. We may have nothing better, but we have to at least try to find something better. >>>

He does have talent. He lead LSU for 59:00 to a road victory over Arkansas before LSU turned to a prevent defense that prevented victory. When LSU needed someone to step up after during the Ole Miss game & even after it, Randall did it. When Randall didn't get to start the Ole Miss game, he could have sulked and went into the tank. Instead, he took his demotion like a man, put the team first, and came back strong. Under the circumstances LSU had to face going to the Arkansas game, easily one of the biggest 3 games LSU played in the last 10 years, Randall excelled. He was the leader LSU needed in that game. He was the reason LSU should have won the game.

Before Randall got hurt yesterday in the 2Q, he was playing well. He was 11-17 in the 1st half, and 8-28 in the second half. At halftime the team doctor had to administer IV fluids to Randall because of severe cramping. Yet Randall kept on battling.

Thankfully the announcers pointed out at least 10 times that Randall wasn't the same after getting hurt yesterday.

But that doesn't matter. These games aren't won and lost by one person. It's a team effort. The team didn't stop Roy Williams from singlehandedly aaccounting for 21 of Texas' 35 points. The coaches were the ones who left Rodney Reed in a one-on-one situation with Cory Redding, a matchup Reed had no chance of winning, and it was Redding who caused the fumble that lead to Texas' first score by beating Reed. There is no reason Redding should have not been double teamed every passing play, when it's clear the guy's playing at a different speed than everyone else. Also, LSU allowed 28 points on defense. I didn't see Randall playing corner or safety yesterday.

Tiger fans should be happy with the effort the Tigers gave yesterday. Texas was a team that was picked to win the national championship this year, and came into the game much higher ranked than LSU. Yet it was LSU that was the more physical team. LSU just didn't have an answer for 1 player, Roy Williams, a player Bradie James said is the best player he's ever played against. But effort-wise, LSU competed the way they needed to compete, but came up short. On to 2003.

Randall will go into 2003 as the Tigers' starting QB. It is his job to lose. If Mauch is able to beat him out, great. If a true freshman can beat him out, great. Fortunately we have Randall on scholarship, because as Marcus has proven, he will support the team, and the coach, whatever happens. He is team first, and exactly the kind of player this program needs.

As for Saban, this job is his as long as he wants it. He won't catch any "wrath" next year for starting Randall. Tiger fans will ride out the ups and downs with Saban for many years, hopefully, with a coach 90% of the other schools in this country, not to mention many NFL teams, which they had.

7. TexasTigers

I am very happy with the Tiger Performance, I think you and I differ, We lost to a very poor Arkansas team. Arkansas got slammed by U of Minn.. I guess we will agree to disagree. I really believe had Mauck been our QB, and Mauck is No Joe Montana, we would have won a split in the Auburn/Bama games hammered Ole Miss, and Arkansas would not have been that close. In Arkansas alone Marcus missed several WR's that would have iced that game. LSU's Defense what was kept LSU in Arkansas and Ole Miss. Randall Lost the Auburn game all by his lonesome, and Alabama, well the whole team played poorly.

I guess your points are valid, and I guess we all have an opinion. I just have never seen Randall actually win a game for us, however I have seen him lose 3 so far. I will say it again, in the 4th Quarter, had we had even remotely a QB that could complete a basic pass, LSU would have tied that game. Meyers was open time and time again and Randall would just miss him, and miss him so poorly even UT could not get to the ball. He has heart, I will never question his loyalty, or quality as a football player no question he is just not a good QB in my opinion. he is not a D1 Q.B. at least not an SEC QB. He did play well at first, that is when LSU was taking it to UT, but then the same ole Randall showed up, fumbled twice, tossed 1 interception, almost another, and could not hit a side of a barn the rest of the game. In big time College football which is where we all want LSU to be, you need a QB who can complete basic slant patterns, complete basic tosses to RB's flaring out of the back field, he failed

But who am I I guess.

8. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<<< Next year, I think Saban may feel for the first time the wrath of LSU fans if Randall is the starting QB. >>>

Saban caught many Tiger fan's wrath last year, some of whom wanted him fired. It was ugly early in the season, it even got nasty after the Ole Miss game, and I read many boards where Saban was under attack constantly when the secondary was playing horribly.

I remember Tiger fans last year whose posts I've read for years, who don't just post a couple of times and disappear after venting their anger, posting that Saban "is a bad coach, and that "he is clearly not the answer."

Of course LSU went on to win the SEC Championship and a BCS Bowl, something most coaches will never do in the same season, and the last of Saban's critics were force-fed oatmeal from a baby spoon.

Next year, no matter who starts at QB, Saban will be supported. And seeing that Saban has a lot of money to earn in incentives, the better the team plays, the more Saban will continue to try to do what's best for the team.

The big deal now is recruiting. Saban needs to turn some of these undecided 4 star players into Tigers.

9. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Just wondering.....

were you guys that hard on MR when he started out 5for 5? when LSU was leading 17-7? when he ran a draw for 75 yards?

I was very impressed with the way MR came out and played in the first half. He was definately a different QB after the injury. Don't get me wrong I don't think he is a great QB, but he played one hell of game for 2 quarters.

Yeah, we lost but I am proud of the way everyone played.

10. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

When the score was 17-7, LSU was physically in control of the game, and the time of possession battle heavily favored LSU.

But then Roy Williams makes 2 long plays, and LSU goes into the half, a half they completely dominated, losing 21-17, thanks to 3 plays. Take those 3 plays away and LSU is winning 17-0.

I lost a lot of money betting yesterday's game. I still felt good about my bet even after Texas got the first lucky TD, because LSU was the more physical team, and sure enough LSU turned the 7-3 deficit into a 17-7 lead.

At halftime I had a chance to cover my bet and take Texas, but taking Texas -6 at halftime was a tough proposition because Texas wasn't really moving the ball on LSU. Also, Saban's LSU teams have generally done very well in big games in the second half (the last minute of the Arkansas game nonwithstanding). The Georgia Tech game in 2000, the SECCG in 2001, this year's Florida game. But yesterday, it just wasn't meant to be.

I'm out money, but I don't blame Randall at all. He was playing hurt against a very athletic defense. Oh yes, it was agonizing at 35-20 and LSU just needed the one more TD to cover the spread, and Randall was missing passes badly. When Jerel Myers pulled up on a 4th down catch very late in the game because it appeared he didn't want to take a hit, my head almost hit the ceiling from jumping so high. But I feel I lost my bet because LSU couldn't contain Roy Williams on those 3 longs plays. You win some, you lose some.