Randall had touch

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Now you're talking!! This is the post of a true fan. Well spoken...I agree 100%. I may live in Mississippi but Baton Rouge is my HOME. I will always bleed purple & gold.

2. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Amen TexasTigers, great post!

We are the best fans that there ever was, and ever will be.

When LSU fans travel, other schools take notice. No matter how much they love their own school, they observe and take note of what REAL FAN ENTHUSIASM IS ALL ABOUT EVERY PLACE WE SHOW UP.

And when it comes to passion, devotion, and enthusiasm, LSU & IT'S FANS ARE UNMATCHED. It's why Bear Bryant said Tiger Stadium happens to be the worst place on earth to be a visiting team. It's why Brad Budde once said compared to Tiger Stadium, Notre Dame was "romper room."

GEAUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX TIGERS!

3. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

Thanks for answering my question about pulling Randall. I didn't realize our options were so limited!

I'm eagerly looking forward to kickoff this fall of what should be a fantastic season!

Geaux Tigers!

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Texastigers, You are not alone. Randall is not the QB for LSU. The post about it being his job/position to lose. Please explain your reasoning. He didn't win the job. Matt is 5-1 and went out with an injury. Randall is 3-4. Randall played injured, so what Davey did too! and many others as well. Randall should have to win the position from Matt. Based on that statement, if you were missing work because of an injury and another employee was put into that position while you were healing, you come back and the supervisor/manager says you have to earn that position, what do you say to that? I agree that Randall played with heart, I agree he is the best we have after Matt, that does not mean he is the starter next season. I agree that we win & lose as a team, but one player can influence the win or loss dramatically and in 3 of the four Randall had a tremendous influence in those losses. I too am proud of the LSU Tigers and I'm disappointed that our QB talent has fallen to this level. I agree one of the fumbles was not Randall's fault, the other two is directly related to Randall not listening to coaches and paying attention to game film. He carries the ball in a way to get it knocked loose. Basic fundamentals, protect the football. I fully support Nick Saban. I will be very disappointed if Matt is healthy and not given the same treatment if he is off target with his passes. Matt has the heart, skills and leadership qualities to lead this team. Randall has heart! I do believe he gave his best. He would be a good backup at best and probably a 3rd teamer. I believe one of those Freshman coming in, if they pick up the system, will get early playing time for experience so we don't have to fall back to Randall. If that happens, he will probably go to southern or McNeese where he is better suited.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

If LSU gets Jamarcus Russel (Which I am very skeptical) and Robert Lane does not get drafted, and Matt Flynn comes in. I say you open it up to everyone. Why not start a Freshman QB ??? Other schools have done it, if whoever wins has talent, I am willing to take a few knocks to let him grow. Lester Ricard is there as well, but I heard he is considering transferring and I would not be surpised if he did.

6. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Randell did play a very good 1st half. But I don't remember him playing a full game of football. He did ok against the Hogs, but in every other game he was terrible. He sucked the first half of the SC game. I just don't think he can put a full 4 quaters together. I am not so sure the injury was the problem. He does show some greatness at times. If he could find the consistencey he would be awsome.

The Tigers did ok IMO. It is great to be a tiger fan. Looking forward to next year.

BTW the arizona game is our second game of the season.

7. msully

msully Founding Member

I think Mauck will be the quarterback unless clausson is able to do better me it is just me I would like Randell in the backfield with the option to throw off the run what do I know I am just m_sully GEAUX TIGERS !!!!! I sure can misspell a word or two

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

LIke I said Randall has shown some promise, but he also had a bad second half. When I look at the game there were several things that did not go right. What if we block right and Texas does not get an easy 7 points? What if we make the Field Goal? What if we do not try the fake punt? What if on the end around and one of the long passes to Williams we made a tackle? What if Edwards does not drop that wide open pass for a first down? etc ...
    My point is that there were a lot of what ifs that were not Randall's fault. I do not think it is fair to put so much blame on one person in a Team sport.
    I agree with Texastigers' post and also believe that all of us will support whomever the QB is next year. I do think we will better at this position next year one way or the other.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Looks like a logjam at QB for LSU next fall.

Mauck -- steady but has not shown a Division I arm. Yet.
    Randall -- good runner, good arm, but no accuracy or timing, future Southern QB.
    Clausen -- 3rd year here and still can't get in a game, future McNeese QB.
    Harrison -- has experience and supposed to have an arm, so why didn't we see him? Has already transferred twice.
    Ricard -- Question mark. He'd be a fool to transfer without giving it a shot. Could play receiver, some say.

Lane -- if he signs, has credentials like Booty, Manning, and Berlin.
    Flynn -- if he signs, will likely redshirt (according to him).
    Russell -- if he signs, has the physical tools they say.

So... possibly 8 quarterbacks in the mix next fall. I see possible transfers, possible position changes, and three freshmen who probably won't have the stuff to step in and start in the SEC.

Looks like Mauck and Harrison will compete for the job. Of course, Ricard or one of the freshmen just might step up, but I wouldn't bet money on it. It's a big step up from high school.