Randall said

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Nov 30, 2002.

1. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Marcus Randall: "We had it won until the last couple of seconds. We really needed that one touchdown on the last series -- the last three series really -- to really put the game away. It should have never have gotten close."

For me, this sums up yesterday. We didn't put the dagger in Arkansas when we had the chance. Randall was playing well. I wish we would have went for the jugular. We scored a TD with about 6:00 in the 3Q, and then didn't score a TD the rest of the game, even though the QB and receivers were playing well. Michael Clayton was an animal. SKyler Green is a budding superstar.

Last year when LSU made a big 3rd down play late in the game against Arkansas, Saban overruled a call Fisher had made to run the ball, and LSU passed instead, and Davey completed a 3rd down pass to Reed. After the game, Saban talked about the decision to pass the ball on that 3rd down and said something like, "everytime I've been conservative in that situation, it seems like I've lost."

And then you have yesterday.

2. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

GREAT POINT!

nm

3. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

So true. I also remember last year's SEC Championship, where we went for the TD on 4th down late in the game, and Saban said something like, "We were going to have to stop them sooner or later." It really took the fight out of UT.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I agree that LSU was not able to put it away when they had the chance. I sort of diagree with the FG to go up by 6. In this situation a TD virtually beats you either way. I say you go for the TD and even if you fail, Ark gets the ball deep and they don't get the chance to return the ball on a kickoff after the FG. If Ark still drives and scores the TD, well all they have to have is one more point than LSU.

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

It seems like defensive coaches have a tendancy to be more conservative.
    I too remember Saban saying that last year. I thought last year in the the Auburn(onside kick etc), ARK, and SEC championship he broke out of the "too conservative" mode. We dipped back into a little but this year. I just want LSU to be aggressive for 60 minutes.

6. PiggieBacker

PiggieBacker Freshman

I thought your quaterback played a great game. I believe Arkansas was waiting on him to make a mistake but that never happened.

I was also surprised at the field goal. My thought was it was going to be a fake. Give you coach some credit, who would have thought a team (any team) would score that quickly.

I enjoy the LSU game as your players work hard and you show up with lots of fans. Hopefully, the division title will be on the line next year at your house.

7. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

we of all teams should know.....

how fast another team can score. We had the play of the year against Kentucky. Of all teams that should know how fast a close game can change it should've been us.

I am a bit dissapointed in this season but think LSU looks good for next year. Next year we will have 2 QBs w/ SEC experience. Our D may not be as good(b/c of losing James) as this year but I think we will still be good. Maybe the SECW can come down to the LSU-Ark game again next year and help feed the "Battle for the Boot" rivalry.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Re: we of all teams should know.....

If the LSU/ARK game ever means anything like it did this past weekend I may actually stay around Baton Rouge for Turkey Day. Arkansas is the only SEC West team that I have never seen play live. And Vandy and Georgia are the only east teams I have not seen live.

9. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

reflecting and looking ahead

I think after all that's happened, were an 8-4 team. Before this year started, I had the view that this was going to be a rebuilding year, starting from sctrach basically. We have a young team that is only going to be better than what they did this year. We have some monster recruits coming in, and freshman that are blossoming. Though I have no idea who will be the QB next year, I think we will be revisiting some familiar controversy unfortunately. I wonder though what our season would of been like if mauck and toefield stayed healthy, and james would of stayed on the team. Given this tough position, I commend the coaches for working with what they had and making the most of it. I objectively think between us and the hogs, we would have the best shot of beating georgia, and I really wanted to play georgia, but now I think the hogs will get spanked and it will be a onesided game. Lets all hope that the cotton bowl will take us instead of arkansas. I really do not want independence or music city. Anyone notice how much better we played the last two games without all those damn penalties? What a difference.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Very good point about the penalties.

Fewer penalties made a huge difference.