Randolph to Enter NBA Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Apr 3, 2008.

1. train

train Founding Member

That might be the main reason, but not the only he came. Plus he has been on a Final Four team and Temple and Taz are the 2 leaders on the team. I really dont think he is leaving.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Tom, sounds good on paper, but this is the beef I have sometimes with LSU "hoops" fans. Many of the average fans just don't get the game of college basketball these days... and so perhaps, part of the difficulty that Brady or any future coach is going to have is just ... educating the masses about today's game.

What do I mean?

Well, first off, what is stability? We had Brady from 1999 to 2006 with plenty of "stability". We had a team that went to the post season 6 out 7 years. We had a coach that, despite fan base volatility, was supported by the AD and kept on. Some would argue that the community support was what was "unstable".

Kids going early? That's the game of today folks. You can't have it both ways. If you recruit the McD A-As they are going to leave early. Watch this year's final four teams, and see how many of the underclassmen leave (Rose, Love, Dorsey, etc.... gone). It's common place today in the one and done days. Now, you can argue that we should build a program perhaps like the mid-majors do--maybe then you've got guys that are "average" talent staying 4 years. But does that make you more competitive? Arguably no.

Players quitting and changing minds.... uh, how does a coach control this? Sure, if the Coach is an utter _ss, I guess you can have a beef, but at some point isn't it the kids that decide? Some of this probably can be blamed on the HC, if the problems are prevalent (many would argue this also was Brady's problem :wink:), but in defense of the coaches, you can't always sniff out the headcases. Case in point, players leave everyone's programs... Knight, Calhoun, Brady, they're all victims.

The things that LSU has to deal with are common place to everyone. Could we have a higher graduation rate and less transfers? Sure, but then we could also choose not to recruit the Anthony Randolphs of the world and recruit 5 Garrett Temples, and see where that takes you (not to slight on GT, just making the point--if you look back at Brady's early 2000s days, that what we had--R. Dupree, Torris Bright, Collis Temple--that got us to the first round of the NIT and NCAAs).

I'll venture to say that if the new coach, whoever he is, recruits the type of players and tries to build a program of getting us to the final four--we'll have some of the same issues above, with or without Brady. It's just part of the game today. The coaches who can really manage the egos, recruit solid, talented kids and convince them to play team ball and stay a few years, are the Coach Williams, Barnes, Howlands, Calipari's of the world. Who, by the way, are not in LSU's price range.:nope:

What we can only hope now is that the new guy can "inspire" the kids, and be a good enough salesman for the players and the fans, and is an adaptable enough coach to find the right balance for LSU. As for who he is, your guess is as good as mine. :hihi:

As for the fans, perhaps if LSU hoops fans become better students of the game, they'll realize that you should just enjoy the games and support the teams. Period.

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

3. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

WOW, Whata reply, You about covered it all. I know its gonna be tough to bring stabality to our program under the current rules. I'm just hoping we can cut down on the number of players leaving because they don't see the court enough. I think Brady got caught up in trying to have his best players on the court all the time sqeaking out a win that he never felt he had moments where he could afford to play the subs enough to keep them happy. They kept leaving & he kept being shorthanded & LSU kept having to many average or below average seasons. Kind of a catch 22 especially with starters leaving to go to the NBA also.. You gotta play them to keep them... Nobody likes to sit on the bench for four years. Just rambling I know.. just hoping for the best & a better Tiger Team in the future.. :geaux:

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Mitchell said, after he committed to LSU, when the rumors were rampant that Pierre was going to Kentucky, that he was going to LSU no matter what an assistant did. He said that he liked LSU, his teammates, and wanted to continue playing ball with Temple and the rest. I doubt he would leave LSU.

5. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

Can anyone tell me if this is official yet ar are we still at the this is what we believe stage? just wondering cause i can't find no official links

6. heaphus

heaphus Founding Member

7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Randolph is making a huge mistake. He only has one year of college. Two or three more years would really mature him and increase the value of his stock and that would translate into $$$. I hope he changes his mind, but I doubt if he will.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

He could certainly shoot up the ranks with some media exposure because he has the bball package down as far as potential skills go. But he doesn't have the media on his side and LSU's season did not help him.

Can't blame him if he is going to be a lottery pick. If he slides into the twenties it would be a huge mistake, assuming he doesn't need immediate cash.

9. clair

clair Rockets

Carmello Anthony said he was going to play 4 years at Syracuse

Sean May guaranteed UNC fans a 4th season.

Nick Saban said he wasn't going to Alabama.

ESPN said Les Miles was going to Michigan.

get a trend here?

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Interesting, but none of that has anything to do with Mitchell.