Randolph to Enter NBA Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Let's not panic guys, the operative word here is "test" the waters. Thornton and Johnson are juniors, and if they don't sign with an agent, it's almost BETTER that they test. This way, they get to go the NBA draft camps, match up against other folks that are hoping to make it and see where they stand and get more practice.

Both players have been watched this season, and commentators have spoken to their "NBA potential". I think as well that Marcus had has some NBA scout following. However, both if they test, would realize they should come back. CJ definitely would do himself a favor coming back, being a senior and having another year to mature his body. Marcus theoretically could be ready, given his scoring ability, but he's looking at mid to late 2nd round at best. He's still a streaky scorer by most statistical accounts and needs to prove that he can play smarter.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i tried out for several MLB teams in high school. knew they werent gonna sign me. just wanted to do it and see how hard i could throw.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

what they both NEED is a degree.

4. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Chris Johnson is testing the NBA waters??? Get the F out of here. The guy has averaged 1, 3 and 11 points per game for his first three years. Yes, he improved a bunch this year and has a lot of potential with a shot like his at his height. The right coach should really get him to reach his potential. HOWEVER, right now, he is ONLY potential. He's a pretty good college player. But that's it right now. Maybe after a year with a real good coach, he will improve enough to be NBA-ready. I don't think averaging 11 points a game and missing about six games on a losing team that didn't even make the NIT is gonna really excite people.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

You are right he will not go in the draft this year but it doesn't hurt to test the waters to get your name out there for future years. I am not sure but he might be able to attend the NBA draft camp for a chance for NBA scouts to evaluate him and track his progression while playing at LSU next year. Same for Thornton because his value will increase next year and he will get some attention next year.

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

True. The only dumb people are the ones that don't get there name out there by testing the waters.
    True, you can come back.

7. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And who knows if the story about Chris Johnson testing NBA waters is even true?

However, if I'm an LSU coach, it wouldn't go over that well with me. The guy did not have a great season and didn't even make honorable mention for the All-SEC teams (and the SEC was down this year).

Those guys go to those camps and basically kill themselves and each other trying to impress the scouts. Now, if Chris Johnson had a Stromile Swift kind of year, I'd be on board because it's a big opportunity and he's earned it. But he didn't, and hasn't done anything really impressive while at LSU. I want a player that's loyal to my team and wants to EARN a reward. As a coach, why would I be okay with just letting the guy go get on the court with all these guys and risk injury when he's not likely to get drafted??? I want someone that really wants to play for LSU and win some games, not one that just comes back to play for LSU if he can't get drafted. So no, I don't think the only dumb ones are the ones that don't get their name out there.

Trust me, if you are good and have earned recognition, they'll find you and find you fast. They pay people a lot of $ to scout.

Brandon Bass, Stromile Swift, Tyrus Thomas, etc. all left early (were much better than Johnson at the time of their departure) and all of them have basically struggled in the pros. They don't call it the pros for nothing. And I didn't really think any of those guys were ready for the pro game when they left. I think Brandon was probably the most mature, but even he has not had it easy.

8. bhelmLSU

The coach has an obligation to do as much as he can to for his players and getting their name out only helps them get to where they can succed in the future. If a coach did not encourage these type of things the recruits would hear about it and go elsewhere. They could find another top coach who would do everything he could to help their status. It is also beneficial for LSU and the coach himself because of the recognition that player brings to both. LSU and the coach gain recognition from recruits with success of current and past players gaining entry into the NBA.

The injury thing is a concern no matter if it is in the weight room, practice, or a camp but the benefits of getting trained by NBA coaches would help their game. Or they do not have to train at all and just go to meet the scouts and coaches to get their name out.

Win-win for both parties.

1 person likes this.
  9. bhelmLSU

He signed with an agent which I think is a good move. If you are going to do it, do it right and get the best draft spot and money you can.

Also, CLippers are looking at him for the 6th pick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8009490/Source:-LSU's-Randolph-signs-with-agent

10. downtown

downtown Founding Member

If it's a coach's obligation to do everything possible to help his players succeed in the future, telling Chris Johnson to focus on school/attempt to get a degree/improve enough to be NBA material would be the best thing he could do for Johnson's future success. Just my opinion based on Johnson's case... Remember, 2nd round picks get ZERO guaranteed money and some aren't even guaranteed to sign. If you get caught in that situation and you don't get signed, you're really screwed. Of course, I give Johnson a 0% chance of getting drafted, but if he did it would be someone taking a wild chance on him in the 2nd round.

Like I said, Johnson didn't even make honorable mention on the All-SEC teams. I don't think anyone would think the coach is hurting Johnson's future in any way by not urging him to go to the camps. I don't think it's a huge deal if he does test the waters, I'm just saying that I wouldn't promote the idea for him that much if I was the coach. I know some say it's a good measuring stick as to where the player stands, but I think that his play in the SEC was a good enough measuring stick. I think it showed that he's a pretty good player, but nothing special. Not yet anyway... But he could be next year.

Now, if he was a young player like Randolph who had a very good year after one year and scouts were saying he'd be a lottery pick, then it's obviously different. Any coach that wouldn't try to assist that player with positioning for his future would be turning recruits away possibly. But Johnson is not that kind of case.

Also, the coach ultimately has a HUGE interest in getting these kids to stay. That's how they build their programs. And honestly, the majority of players that leave early would benefit from staying longer. But there are some cases when they've got to jump while they're hot. And who could ever blame them?

With LSU's luck, all three of them will be drafted and two out of the three drafted will be cut shortly after. Actually, that would be Brady's luck, but he's not here any longer. Here's to some new luck...