Random facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by martin, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

An excerpt from Christopher Hitchens' book 'The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice':

One of Mother Teresa’s volunteers in Calcutta described her “Home for the Dying” as resembling photos of concentration camps such as Belsen. No chairs, just stretcher beds. Virtually no medical care or painkillers beyond aspirin, and a refusal to take a 15-year-old boy to a hospital. Hitchens adds, “Bear in mind that Mother Teresa’s global income is more than enough to outfit several first class clinics in Bengal. The decision not to do so... is a deliberate one. The point is not the honest relief of suffering, but the promulgation of a cult based on death and suffering and subjection.”

Then Hitchens notes that Mother Teresa “has checked into some of the finest and costliest clinics and hospitals in the West during her bouts with heart trouble and old age.”

Here's another one:

The author mentions her acceptance of stolen money from Charles Keating, “now serving a ten-year sentence for his part in the savings and loan scandal.” Keating, a “Catholic fundamentalist”, gave Mother Teresa one and a quarter million dollars and “the use of his private jet.” During the course of Keating’s trial, Mother Teresa wrote Judge Ito asking clemency and asked Ito “to do what Jesus would do.”
    One of the prosecutors in the trial wrote her telling her “of 17,000 individuals from whom Mr. Keating stole $252,000,000.” He added, “You urge Judge Ito to look into his heart--as he sentences Charles Keating--and do what Jesus would do. I submit the same challenge to you. Ask yourself what Jesus would do if he were given the fruits of a crime; what Jesus would do if he were in possession of money that had been stolen; what Jesus would do if he were being exploited by a thief to ease his conscience.” The prosecutor asked her to return the money, and offered to put her “in direct contact with the rightful owners of the property now in your possession.” This supposed paragon of virtue never replied to his letter.

2. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Did you know that a mallards feet and legs take on the bright reddish orange color due to the increased blood flow to them? Keeps them from getting frostbite. This the term Redleg mallard giving to them by duck hunters late in the season.

3. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Fact: Martin thinks his opinions are facts.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

My balls itch.

5. gyver

Fact: give a man a fish and you feed him a day. Teach him to catch bass and he'll buy a boat and $1000 worth of tackle. Just to catch and release.

6. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I did not know that, I think I had Redleg yesterday, froze my ass off, got rained on but sat there quietly and didn't complain but gawd I wanted to......yesterday was miserable.

gyver likes this.
  7. gyver

When it comes to duck hunting. Misery loves company.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

the best movie of 2012 was called "safety not guaranteed"

The best movie of 2011 was called "submarine"

The Oscar awards are stupid like all,awards based on voting.

9. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Three more opinions.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

Do you suspect I am not intentionally absurd? I am unaware perhaps of what an opinion is?

Keep me updated.