Random Thoughts about Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Like 1 for 20 from 3 point range by players not named Collis. Not very good. Actually very bad. Pitiful.

Jaime Lloreda could use a benching like Shawnson got. Walking back up the court several times on offense and not getting past halfcourt before a shot was thrown up. And that elbow was a dirty, thuggish play. He should have been ejected.

LSU should relocate the student section to the floor area behind the benches so we could show up on TV instead of empty seats.

Didn't get to see Brady's antics as described in previous threads because there were no seats down low in the student section 45 minutes before the game. I shouldn't have much problem next week.

Brett Nelson can shoot 3's pretty well. Maybe they should tell somebody to guard him. Why play a zone against a guy that is shooting lights out?

I think the camera operators should be mandated to not show the same freaking girl during every break. Every game they pick on some girl and show her like 20 times. I would bet that LSU didn't build the scoreboard so some pervert camera guy could stalk women.

Dupree is the only guy on this team that comes to play every single night.

If I ever get picked to take the half court shot, I guarantee to atleast hit something.

The Tiger Girls leather pants were the only redeeming thing about the game tonight.

Darrell Mitchell needs to learn that he can't go inside against taller people in the SEC from the set offense. He can take it to the hole on the fast break but he needs to concentrate on honing his outside shot and midrange J.

LSU needs to open up the Stadium parking lot to all Tiger fans and not make it for parking passes. That lot is always half full and could be used by people that actually go to the game.

So, we are 1-5 in league play. The season is not over and the Tigers could still go on a streak and get to .500 and make some postseason tourney. Geaux Tigers.

2. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Did you also see the time when he focused on the women leaving the arena. He had the camera focused directly on the women's breasts for what seemed to be 10 seconds. It seem to me that this horny bastard is sick and twisted. The athletic department need to repremand this employee for his blatent use of the camera to get his sexual jollies. This is not what we need to see happening by employees of this university.

3. -T-

-T- Founding Member

MikeD looks like you are seeing the same things I'm seeing now. Lloreda walking down court while the rest of the team jogs and watches Florida run and get a layup really got me mad tonight.

The 2-3 zone against Florida is pathetic. They jack up 3s just like the Pitino coached Kentucky teams did and its ridiculous to run a zone against them.

Its great when Charlie Thomson shoots, since he must be offensive in order to break a zone, but it looks to me like he can't win with Brady. Everytime he misses, he is pulled immediately.

Before the game I thought that this was the game that will decide whether the players will play for Brady the rest of the season or not. The last 6:00 showed that its over. It really looked like the players were fed up with this whole thing.

I really got into the game, but I'm just fed up with them now. If they would have played toward the end I'd feel differently, but there was no hustle toward the end and now I'm afraid there won't be much to watch. If I was a senior I damn sure wouldn't care what Brady told me from here on out. He's lost this team.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I wish Charlie Thompson would never shoot. He is a junior and if he can't pull the trigger with confidence by now, he never will be able to and I'd rather see somebody else play that can atleast keep the defense honest. He hasn't scored this year without having the ball blocked into the basket. And he was benched today after he threw away an inbounds pass from underneath the basket.

He doesn't create opportunities for his teammates, which is the main job of the point guard and something that Torris is very good at. How many open 3's did we have tonight because Torris penetrated the zone and then dished? Alot. How many did we make? Not many.

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

If he's gonna play, he better shoot. Torris will draw people because he at least looks to shoot(sometimes too much). Charlie can't penetrate and pass because there is no threat at all.

But lets not look at Torris as a model, because for some reason he still cannot go through a game without jumping, then looking to pass. I believe that fundamental can be taught at any local ymca, church league, or biddy ball practice.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Yeah but how many turnovers did he have from jumping to pass. It seemed like most of those were to pass over people during Florida's full court press. Most of the time he knows where he's going on to pass before he jumps. Fast breaks on the other hand...

7. -T-

-T- Founding Member

You DO NOT jump in the air before you pass the ball. He has turnovers each game in his 4 years because of that crap. No way he should still be doing that. Anybody who has played any kind of basketball other than streetball will tell you that.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

He had no turnovers tonight from jumpng to pass if I remember correctly. The only time I approve of him jumping to pass is when breaking the press, not when driving the lane.

That said, he shouldn't jump to pass because it is generally more likely to end up in turnover.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No disagreement here but I'll comment on Brett Nelson. Prior to last night he was shooting 27% from the arc. ESPN even commented early on his "struggles". Tonight he shoots 7-11 for 63%. Brady's strategy was to stop Florida's scorers but it backfired when Nelson stepped up. Florida is better than LSU and when they are on their game they are going to beat the Tigers. It's not in my plans to die anytime soon so I will endure and hope for better things.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I agree with Sabanfan. Plain and simple, Florida has a better team than LSU. Arizona also has a better team but we played better that night and got some breaks.

There were many opportunities for LSU to make a shot and turn the game. They were within 8 points with the ball and a chance to pull to 5 or 6 behind around 10 minutes to go. However, they turn the ball over and Nelson hits 2 3's in quick succession and the game was essentially over.

There were also many open 3's that were missed. Shots that should be made 40% of the time and we made about 10%.