Random thoughts of the day

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I’m just saying there is more evidence one way. But I’m glad that you’ve got it all figured out.

So how does the universe logically escape that cold death that all evidence points to? How does everything reset?

shane0911 likes this.
  2. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Don't know. Not scared to admit it.

3. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

But how do you know this, that the Universe is eternal? We know that up until an incredibly small fraction of a second of the 'big bang" that everything was condensed into a minuscule volume. It is debated and theorized what came before, and the leading theory is nothing. Everything came into existence there. So how do you know you are right?

4. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

There are many exotic theories that try to squirm out of the creation singularity. But you could just take everything at face value.

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

You are not following my point at all. I don't have the answers and neither does anyone else. So I don't know if I am right and I don't need to. That is the point. Humans by their nature want answers for everything and will fill in the unknowns in their brain with something that makes sense. Fight that. It leads to mysticism and beliefs in falsehoods.

A vast majority of evidence points to things always being here and things never ending. We have never created matter and have never destroyed it. We just transform it. The "science" that says we might be able to is suspect at best. So I am going with that.

What we can observe goes on as far as we can see with no end in sight and there really isn't any evidence that it does not, so it seems logical that is just keeps going. So I am going with that.

I don't have to pick answers that are out there being shared. Especially if they are beyond a natural phenomenon! Saying time and matter don't exist before a big bang is conjecture. Saying that things outside of our observable space do not exist is conjecture. For example, our existence after the big bang might just be the start of a heart beat of existence of our observable space (there is probably a lot more out there that we can't observe and that scientists assume does not exist). There might be forces outside of our observable space that could squish all this back to a minuscule volume again and start it all over again after it finishes expanding and breaking down. Who the heck knows?

I know it is fun to think about this stuff when we have such a small amount of evidence for, but we really are an ant looking at a sky scraper and trying to make sense of it. Don't take that theoretical physics stuff as if it is settled. And definitely don't use it to try to prove religious beliefs.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well there are a couple of things to point out.

Things will definitely end...for us. The Sun will eventually die and when it does its over and it's gonna be really hot! None of us will be around for it thankfully as that is billions of years away.

It also doesn't look good for our galaxy as it will eventually be eaten by Andromeda and that is going to be wild. Think that teacup ride at the fair but with planets and moons being the teacups and NONE of them are anchored down, just flinging everywhere every which way.

How did it all start? That is a good question, how will it reset? Well if the universe is eternal then more planets will form and maybe they find an absolutely perfect situation like we have here. The bigger question is what lives there? Everything on this planet will be dead so the question really isn't where did the system come from but how did WE get here?

I don't think it was by accident or happenstance or from a monkey.

7. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Well as far as you can see, everything originated from the 'big bang', and looking back in time it collapses back to a point, and appears to disappear. So not sure why you're going with that.

We see evidence of a creation singularity, and we realize that the odds of the physical laws of a Universe supporting life are incredible (and there is no inherent reason for these laws to tune this way). And the deeper we go everywhere the more we see patterns of intelligent design. Given this, as intelligent beings in the Universe we should naturally speculate about intelligent design. Take Elon Musk, he thinks its more likely than not we live in a simulation - a variant of intelligent design.

8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

There is enormous evidence for intelligent design or manipulation of DNA - our elegant machine code. Especially human DNA there appears to be significant tampering', maybe alien artifacts, maybe the big guy. Not sure but the deeper we go the louder we say ' WTF is going on!?"

shane0911 likes this.