Random thoughts of the day

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Looks great but nothing like a car. I've seen videos of it flying but tethered to the ground with rope or cables.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Moller Skycar definitely has the TF-X beat on looks. This pic looks like some kind of alien flying saucer. Or maybe a styling update of the Enterprise's Shuttle Craft.
    [​IMG]

This article, TF-X flying car concept gets a fancy new design (Tomorrow Daily 213), originally appeared on CNET.com.

Flying cars seem like the type of thing everyone feels will herald an era like we saw in "The Jetsons," but Khail's not so sure. What kind of world will it really be when everyone is flying around in cars they barely know how to operate, without roads or other guidance to keep collisions from happening? All we're saying is that there's going to need to be a lot of new rules and regulations before everyone should be able to buy a flying car.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The FAA is going to make it awfully hard for anyone to use a carplane without flight plans, etc. Just going out an flying out of the driveway on a whim sounds good unless a million people are doing it.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Depends on the classification. If very few people had them it might be approved in a way that they could be used like that. I have seen people flying ultralight airplanes and those motorized parasails. I don't think they had to file any flight plan. If I had a flying car I wouldn't want to take it to 30,000 feet. Just a few hundred feet.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's smart to fly higher than buildings and radio towers.

With hang gliders, never fly higher than you are willing to fall.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Just fly around the buildings and towers. :confused: The other day in Washington state a small plane crashed into a moutain. The girl who survived said they were in a cloud bank and when they flew out of it there was a mountain so close that the pilot couldn't elevate above it. It would seem that anybody flying in an area where there are mountains would know better.

I used to see an ultralight plane flying above my house every day for months. About 100 or 150 feet high. The guy would take off and land from a field a few miles away. I met the guy a few months later. He said he was selling the ultralight but he wouldn't sell it to anybody who didn't know what they were doing. They are dangerous.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe there should be another thread for stupid inventions

BIKERS CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR PASSENGERS

[​IMG]
    It is no surprise that when you are riding a bike, you can't really talk to your passenger. So a solution to this problem was proposed.

On the picture is an invention of unknown origin, but with certain functionality. It is a biker headset. It allows the passenger to speak into the helmet of the driver, and the driver to speak into the tube of the passenger. In the 70-s there was no wireless communication, so this did the trick for a short while. However, the idea was dropped because if any of the two decide to jerk their head backward, the other will receive a hard tube hit to the nose.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Nothing special there, I've seen the Blue Angels do that I'm F'18s

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You should have posted a video of it on YouTube before the Rooskis did.