Randy Mueller Comment about Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jarad, Nov 21, 2004.

1. jarad

jarad Founding Member

I was watching the ESPN.com gameday chat with the NFL crew a little while ago and they were discussing the Browns coaching job. Randy Mueller came in the conversation and said he had heard Nick Saban wanted the Browns job.

I hate to write post like this but just passing on the info to you tiger fans. Probrably just a bunch of houpla.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

He's from that area and cut his football teeth in Ohio, so you never know. But,there's always going to be NFL rumors about Saban and it WILL happen someday. I've learned to just ignore them until you hear it from him.

BTW, if he does go to the NFL, he will probably have to take a pay cut to do it. Although some teams may be willing to fork over the jack, most will not pay him what he's making here.

3. jarad

jarad Founding Member

I totally agree, some day it will come to that hopefully not anytime soon.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I gotta think Saban would command 3 million minimum.

5. islstl

Is Mueller their GM? If so, then I would say that it is significant.

If he's just an unemployed yahoo....then no.

6. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

i'm going to school to be a school teacher.. why? because i want to teach.. i could have gone to school for other things and end up making alot more money, but money isnt everything.. the read i get from saban is that he is of a similar mindset.. he WANTS to coach college football.. maybe, one day, he will try the nfl, like spurrier did, but i think he has alot he wants to accomplish on the college level and he prefers working with college kids anyway.. he wants to teach, not manage...

7. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

They are doing exactly what they always do they take most popular names and repeatly throw them out for every job. Mueller is just trying to get people to read his column on espn. There have been plenty of jobs that Saban could have taken that were a whole lot better than the Cleveland job. This is not the last job Saban will be linked this season.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree. Some would pay it, others wouldn't. I THINK (not 100%) that's why he didn't take the Bears job last year. They were only offering him half of what he's making here.

9. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Defensive coordinator of the browns was his last job in the NFL before he went to Michigan State, and he went to Kent State, but that's just some guy spectulating to make some buzz. If he wanted to be an NFL head coach he never would have left the browns position back then.

10. islstl

Randy Mueller is not just "some guy". He's an excellent GM. Where is he now? Does anyone know?