RANK SEC COACHES

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jun 7, 2005.

1. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

Proud Tiger u have Johnson twice!

2. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

1) Spurrier
    2) Tubberville
    3) Miles
    4) Richt
    5) Fat Phill
    6) Meyer

7) Nutt

8) Shula
    9) Croom
    10) Orgeron

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Since there are so many unknowns, I'm ranking mine purely for entertainment potential:

1. Spurrier
    2. Orgeron
    3. Miles
    4. Nutt
    5. Myers
    6. Tuberville
    7. Fulmer
    8. Shula
    9. Brooks
    10. Croom
    11. Johnson
    12. Richt

4. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

how can anyone rank Tubberville ahead of Richt?

Richt will have Georgia in contention for a title every year he coaches there, and he runs a clean program (see the recent dismissal for a DUI this past week).

I would love to have been able to have the chance to get Richt at LSU. He is a classy guy that wins.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

It really does blow my mind how much disrespect Mark Richt gets at UGA.

Not that he doesn't get press but the fact that people put him so low on many polls (not here but at some sites).

The fact is Richt has turned UGA into a consistent Top 10-15 recruiting program, has won the MOST SEC GAMES SINCE HE STARTED, won the East twice (with a brand new OL), and won the SEC with a QB whom he made Offensive POY and the winningest QB in NCAA HISTORY.

So what if the defense held the team up? Richt was the one who found BVG and made him their DC and even hired Martinez back when to take over when BVG left.

That is part of being the HC which Richt has shown he is very good at doing.

Now, I am not saying Richt is the best coach in the SEC. I would put Fulmer and Spurrier ahead of him as they have won more games overall and put consistent winners for years now with a National Title.

But Tubberville? How? Richt has been a HC since 2001 and Tubby since 1995 yet Richt has won as many Division Titles and SEC Titles in that span and won more games then him since 2001.

Say whatever you want about poor Tubs being at Ole Miss and/or Auburn during crappy times but that was his decision.

Tubby was about to be fired from Auburn after 2003.

That says something.

1. Spurrier
    2. Fulmer
    3. Richt
    4. Meyer
    5. Miles
    6. Tubs
    7. Ed O.
    8. Nutt
    9. Shula
    10. Croom
    11. Johnson
    12. Brooks

6. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

1) Spurrier - NC and 12 SEC titles, set the bar by which all SEC programs aspire to be
    2) Fulmer - NC and always battling for SEC titles, regardless of thoughts he produces year in and year out
    3) Tuberville - 2004 SEC Champs, despite his Riverboat Gambler image - which is stupid, Tubby puts good, solid teams on the field
    4) Richt - SEC title and has raised UGA to a championship contender
    5) Nutt - Somehow has managed to get Hogs in title game, and gets the most out of marginal talent
    6) Croom - Will do and good job at State, but unfortunately for him it's Moo U
    7) Shula - Think he's in over his head, but may get better with age
    8) Johnson - Was a good I-AA coach at Furman, but it's Vandy where good coaches go to die
    9) Brooks - He's awful and so is Kentucky, but it's a basketball school

I can't place Miles, Meyer or Orgeron because they haven't coached a down in the SEC yet. But if I had to I'd put them in the order I'd put Miles and Meyer at 5 & 6 and Orgeron at 11. Miles elevated OSU, a bottom tiered Big 12 program to the upper level, impressive at a school that will always be second fiddle in Oklahoma. Inherits an LSU program that has as much talent as the school has likely ever had on campus at one time. Meyer did a great job at Utah but that's still not the SEC, but sure inherits a lot of talent in the already talent-rich state of Florida. I still say...what the f--k was the admin at Ole Miss thinking - you fire the coach who did more than any coach had done in 40 years and replace him with a lunatic, good luck with that!

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

One more stat to throw out for the Tubberville/Richt comparison

10 Win Seasons

Richt - 3
    Tubby - 1

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I grudgingly add Tubby at #2 since he did win the SEC and SECCG last year. Through no fault of his, he got no shot at the NC. I hate to do it but I've got to be honest.

9. Volmania

Volmania Founding Member

I think the best way to judge a coach is by how his teams have compared to his predecessors. Afterall they are dealing with the same school, fans, reputation and recruiting base.

Richt
    in his 3 years Georgia is 34-6 .850
    previous 3 years Georgia was 24-12 .667

Fulmer
    in his 13 years Tennessee is 123-31 .799
    previous 10 years Vols were 82-32-7 .719

Both have certainly improved upon their predecessor's already impressive records.

edited because I thought the part about Miles might seem offensive

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And I think that those winning percentages are able to be that high because of the university more so than because of the coach. IMO, lots of coaches can win with UGA & UT - thus fulmer & richt aren't that special.

And yes, I think Miles will improve on Saban's record. There's no reason to think he shouldn't. Saban lost 3-5 games a year every year but one. It took time for all of his recruiting classes to start making a difference. Miles inherits all of that talent & doesn't have to take several years to rebuild the team. That's not to say Miles is a better coach, just that he comes into a better situation.