RANK SEC COACHES

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jun 7, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

agree with your list completely minus maybe swapping richt and tuberville.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Part of that is subpar coaches following great coaches, not just good ones. Stoops is a great coach - not somebody that just holds the position & lets the program run itself. Alabama is suffering from a combination of sanctions & bad coaches following a great coach. Nebraska - was doomed to fall back down to earth because they require national recruiting to be good & thus must rely on above average coaches to recruit & coach. Same thing with Notre Dame. Southern Cal - previously subpar coaching. Florida - same thing.

No program is above making bad hires & a bad coach can bring any program down. My point is that it only takes a good coach to do great things with the right program.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

1. Spurrier
    2. Richt
    3. Fulmer
    4. Nutt
    5. Miles
    6. Tubs
    7. Croom
    8. Meyer
    9. Shula
    10. Johnson
    11. Brooks
    12. Fat Sack of Crap Ogeron

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Can't argue against this, other than to say Georgia filled the hole left by Spurrier's move to the NFL. In other words, the SEC East has a natural tendency to support two very, very good teams, and Georgia took Florida's spot the past 3-4 seasons.

Still, Richt can coach. You think it was all Bobby Bowden's doing, running those high-powered offenses in Tallahassee in the 1990s, a time when Florida State literally averaged 10 wins a year?

5. max

max Founding Member

1) Spurrier
    2) Meyer
    3) Richt
    4) Fulmer
    5) Tubberville
    6) Miles
    7) Nutt
    8) Croom
    9) Orgeron
    10) Johnson
    11) Brooks
    12) Shula

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Based on individual talent I'd rank them this way, but based on the talent of the entire staff, my list would look radically different:

1) Spurrier
    2) Fulmer
    3) Tuberville
    4) Richt
    5) Nutt
    6) Miles
    7) Meyer
    8) Croom
    9) Johnson
    10) Shula
    11) Orgeron
    12) Brooks

7. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Some of you have been putting Nutt ahead of Miles. I know that Miles is somewhat of an unknown, but, I would rank my high school coach above Nutt any day. I am glad we didn't end up with that moron.

8. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Thanks! I probably should've put Richt over Tuberville but I didn't because I thought that Jim Donnan had stacked the cupboard at UGA before he was dismissed, so Richt had some big time studs to work with when he took over. Tuberville - I still am skeptical about his coaching prowess. I always thought he used that Riverboat Gambler crap to take the focus away from his lack of coaching ability. But he's done a decent job in the last few years of shedding that stupid Gambler image.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not trying to be a homer, but I think Miles would be number 1 if we rank them by staff. I love the staff he has assembled for next years team. One of the biggest up & comming DC's, good OC that will be a head coach soon & one of, if not the, best weight lifting/conditioning coaches in the country.

Tubberville's staff is pretty good now. I think almost everybody agrees that Borges has been the key. Didn't ya'll lose your DC though?

10. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Yes, we did. Replaced by former secondary coach of the Denver Broncos, David Gibbs. Tubs has had always his hand in the defense, so it will be pretty much business as usual.

I like LSU's staff also with the biggest question mark being Miles. It will be interesting to see how he reacts after his first loss on the bayou. The pressure will be much worse than anything in Stillwater. Of course, it also depends on when the first loss happens. If Arizona State pulls an upset in a few months, that is much worse than going on about a 15 game tear and getting beat by Florida in the Swamp next year.