Ranked to end the season??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Attack Tiger, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Not exactly true...if we were Notre Dame it could happen! :hihi:

Is it really jumping "15ish" spots? I look at the top 25 as being the top 25, followed by everyone else. 4 of our 5 losses are to teams that will play in major bowls (New Year's day or later). Three of those teams should win their bowls handily (Florida, Georgia, Alabama) and Ole Miss could very well upset Texas Tech.

We'll find out next week if my prediction holds.

2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

LOL, absolutely no insult intended but regardless how you look at it, it is what it is. A dozen or so unranked teams receive votes every week and based on the votes, they COULD conceivably make a top 30-35 list if they wanted to. The last time I checked, I think LSU was somewhere in the early thirties based on votes. They'd have to gain a LOT of votes to catapult into the top 15...and I just don't see it happening regardless of what happens in the bowls.

Besides, I think it's best for the team to end the season a little hungry and humbled. Regardless of the way they played, their body of work this season is nowhere near top-fifteen worthy.

3. tenebrism

tenebrism Founding Member

yeah i agree. i told my gf after we scored our first td that a close win was the same as a loss to me because we needed to end up ranked. there's no way we're not ranked after that beat down.

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Not insulted at all. I hear what you are saying and LSU absolutely should be judged by the body of work that was their season. No arguments there.

However, most sports writers are fickle idiots and my hope is that they will look at the final scores in Bowl games and see a huge 35 point blowout of the team they ranked 14th and rethink their evaluations.

5. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

They're just dumb enough to do it! :hihi:

6. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I went back and looked at the rankings and have watched a lot of these Bowl games.

#14 Ga Tech, #17 BYU, #18 Pitt, #19 Michigan State and #22Northwestern have all lost their bowl games.

We won ours in pretty convincing fashion, plus we earned a TON of respect back last night...... anyone watching the game realizes how much talent we have.

I expect we'll be ranked somewhere between 16 & 19.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

7. bayou_bandit74

bayou_bandit74 Founding Member

I seriously doubt LSU gets that high. Id say between 20-25. With 5 losses LSU wont finisher better. Definitely not 16.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I'll predict that we're the highest ranked 5 loss team.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Does anybody realize that in the Coaches' Poll we didn't even get 1 vote. Not even a #25 ranking by 1 lonely voter.

Iowa, FSU, Kansas, Nebraska, Cal, Rutgers and Rice all garnered points and had wins in their bowl games.

I believe Iowa and FSU will certainly be ahead of LSU. Nebraska stands a good chance (9-4) and maybe even Cal (9-4). It may be a tough task to reenter the top 25 at this point.

10. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

If we're in there, it will be only just. There's no way, as far from some people's logic as this may be, that we are ranked above teams we "are better than." We shot ourselves in the foot too many times this year for that to take place. I think islstl has it at a very optimistic 22.