Ranking question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Sep 18, 2006.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

When was the last time a SEC team was ranked number one at some point during the regular season? I'm drawing a blank.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

florida or tennessee in the 90s id guess. leaning to steve superior days with much ballyhooed teams and hype needed to do so.

3. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I was thinking florida in 97.

There seems to be a lot of bias against the SEC when it comes to the media's #1 ranking. Do you think it could have anything to do with TV ratings?

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i was thinking the same thing but definitely not sure.

no when many make their votes in the media its who they think will be #1 at the end of the season, not who is the best at the time. take WVA or Louisville. clearly they'd get sodomized in the SEC but they reward them for an easy schedule and vote them highly simply because theres not many roadblocks on their way to the crystal.

not many times an SEC is gonna go undefeated, except auburn of course who i think did it the last 2 times in the sec and have nothing to show for it. except golf digest and sanctions. probably because they cheat.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I've heard that argument many times. That doesn't mean that I like it though. It should be who is the best team in the country at that time. Not who has the easiest road to the championship. There have been many 1 loss teams more deserving than undefeated teams that didn't play in the MNC game.

The system puts a sour note on college football. It just about gives me an ulcer every time I think about it.

6. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

WV owned Georgia last year in a bowl game. Say what you want about them playing a weak schedule, but don't knock how good they are. Slaton is a monster.