Ranking the SEC Programs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Aubie16, Jul 4, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

By George, I'll spot them one Mythical National Championship which gives them 3 total . . . and still leaves them in third place. :grin:

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Well I don't think this list was a preview ranking or a power ranking for the coming year. It was a ranking based on the last, I think, four years....And in those last four years, Arkansas hasn't exactly been the best team in the SEC year in and year out...

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

If LSU beat UGA in the SECCG they would have been #1, cuz we were basically equal at that point
    but i would agree with us being #2
    and UGA didn't really win the SEC East in 03, they won the random tie-breaker and represented the east as a result of being ranked higher
    but the last 4 years....LSU is 41-11 with 1 NC and 1 SEC title plus 2 west titles
    Auburn i believe is 40-12, with one SEC title and one west title
    so its close but LSU has clearly been the better program the last 4 years
    they stil don't have one of these :crystal: :hihi:

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

UGA is definitely #1 and it's not as close as I would like it to be. In the last 2 years, LSU and UGA have played twice, and UGA won both by a combined score of 79-30. Until LSU gets a chance to clear that up, UGA gets the nod.

5. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

As much as I hate the guy, Mark Richt has really made Georgia a power house in the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if UGA ends up winning the east again this year.

6. Berge

Berge Founding Member

We also cannot ignore the 90's like we always do.... Granted, we had a very very fast turnaround, but that 3-8 record in 99 is still there. Just because 2000 starts the new decade and century does not mean it never happened.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Well yes, yes we can ignore the 90's! :)

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

So I guess LSU didn't really win the west in 03 either and two undeserving teams really played for the SEC championship?

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Actually, LSU won it in '03 by winning head-to-head match-ups with the other 2 teams. UGA, UF, and Tenn. all split their head-to-head games. So the athletic directors decided that whoever was the highest ranking team in the BCS would win the tie-breaker.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

And the athletic directors are the ones who ultimately decided who would win the tiebreaker between LSU and Ole Miss as well since they are the ones who voted on the tiebreaker, although years before that happened.

The point is, UGA was the Eastern Division winner no matter how you want to slice it and was the best team in the east that year IMHO. They would have lost only one game that year if they didn't play the national champs twice.