Ranking the SEC Programs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Aubie16, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Your opinion is noted.

Out of curiosity, if not Georgia, who do you think will have the best defense in the SEC East?

The DL will consist of Charles Johnson, Jeff Owens, Kade Weston and Quentin Moses. Tennessee or Florida can't even come close.

CJ Byrd will likely become the next All American Safety for Georgia.
    Asher Allen, Kelin Johnson and Ramarcus Brown are all solid. Paul Oliver, Tra Battle and Thomas Flowers will be rotated as well.

All the Georgia linebackers are back, but healthier at the moment.

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Freshman Tim Tebow looked like a perfect fit for coach Urban Meyer's spread-option offense.

Tebow completed 15 of 21 passes for 197 yards and a touchdown, seemed more comfortable than starter Chris Leak and led the Orange team to a 24-6 victory over the Blue team in Florida's annual spring game Saturday.
    Tebow also gained 2 yards on 11 carries and was sacked three times, but he was handcuffed by a non-contact jersey that allowed the defense to tackle him with a single touch. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound left-hander probably would have racked up big rushing yards if not for the rules, which Meyer implemented during spring practice to keep his only two scholarship quarterbacks safe.
    Leak was 17-of-33 passing for 145 yards and an interception for the Blue squad. He ran four times for 9 yards and was sacked once.
    Meyer maintained there was no quarterback controversy, but said Tebow can determine how much he plays this fall by how well he performs in practices and games. "That's a great water-cooler story," Meyer said. "That's a great discussion over coffee in the morning. Chris Leak is our quarterback, and Tim Tebow is going to be a guy that's going to play. We're going to let him grow as a quarterback. There is no quarterback controversy."

Yeah, right.... at least until game 2, right, coach?

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I can buy UGA being number one, but I'm not buying Auburn having passed us just yet. The credentials speak for themselves in wins and in hardware. There's is no doubt that this author is bias. I will say that Auburn is right on our heels though. Should be interesting this season.

4. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

That is an interesting billboard..... but there are also some ironic twists.

Spurrier recruited the Florida class of 2006 and then denied them of their last opportunity to make it to Atlanta by beating them in Columbia. They didn't win the SEC East during that time span while Georgia made it to Atlanta three times.

5. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I really think FLA would be a better team with this guy at qb. Obviously he has never taken a snap of college football yet, but he fits the system better. Tebow is strong, has a good arm on the run, and can run the ball with somewhat of authority. It is clear that Leak doesn't like to run the ball. That doesn't make him a bad quarterback, but he is just a bad quarterback for that offense. As long as Leak is running the ball, it just won't work, but if they let him be more of a pocket passer that throws down the feild A LOT more then it could be a different story.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

UGA's DL is good, but about equal to that of UT even though UT's DL is "down" from the previous season. I actually like UGA's D-front and I believe they will provide the key leadership the team needs to keep a lot of their games close. But UT has some solid talent with the quality depth to make it UGA's equal.

Same goes for linebackers .... UGA is very thin at the position, as they have been for 2 seasons running .... one injury and the Dawgs will be exposed BIG TIME. The LB corps for both UT and UGA are adequate, but not solid enough to neutralize some of the balanced offenses they will face this season.

Where UT's defense outclasses UGA for top spot in the East is in the secondary. Not only is UT significantly faster and more experienced, but their quality depth makes it one of the top secondaries in the South.

The secondary is precisely why UGA is not the top defense in the East. Teams that can execute the deep threat will torch Richt's secondary this season (look out for USC, UT, UF, LSU)

But hey,.... don't take my word for it ..... there's plenty of research that supports my claim. try TSN or collegefootballnews or a variety of other independent, objective sources. Almost all of them have UT's defense ranked slightly ahead of UGA's and it doesn't account for UT's superior defensive depth.

Now, how 'bout a little tit for tat, Chip82.... You've never provided a specific answer as to why you feel AU will "lose 3-4 games in 2006" despite being asked for an explanation from more than one poster on this board. How 'bout it, ....hmmmmm? Which games? How? Why? :thumb:

7. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I have no idea why ANY source would say that the UT secondary will be faster than the UGA secondary. And the UGA guys I mentioned all have substancial playing experience except for Asher Allen, who is a true freshman who arrived on campus last January and is too good to be kept off the field this season.

To answer your question about the Auburn D, I did mention that the loss of McGlover would impact the Auburn D. The result is that Herring is being moved outside. That leaves Karibe Dede inside at 215lbs right behind your DTs who go 260. 260 and 270. That is going to put extreme pressure on Josh Thompson who is going to be double teamed a lot.

If LSU, Arkansas, USC and UGA don't run the ball up the Auburn gut, I will be very surprised. Home field advantage is of little use if you can't stop the run.

Time will tell....

8. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

First off, its McClover.

Second, he wasn't even the best DE on the team last year, missed alot also due to injury.

Third, pre-season All-SEC DE's Marquis Gunn and Quentin Groves return for Auburn. Not to mention that Quentin Groves has been named to the Hendricks Award watch list given to the best DE each season.

Its pretty obvious to notice your anti-auburn bias frequently on this board... but at least do some research before you talk.

9. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Express some Anti-Auburn bias? On an LSU forum?

You call it bias, I call it being vulnerable up the middle...

10. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

I call it as: You dont know jack about college football.

Lets all thank god that theres more reasonable posters on this board than your opinions.