Ranking the SEC Programs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Aubie16, Jul 4, 2006.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Not the barn specifically, but why do all opposing fans think there will be no problems with filling certain postiions.

LSU fans are quite ignorant, but we can at least admit we are concerened about certain positions like rb, even though we have five 4 or 5*'s there.

A ton of opposing fans on here enjoy quoting postion coaches in the offseason saying the new players will be great. What did you think they were going to say? :dis::dis:

2. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

That is a main concern of mine, especially at LB where alot of changes have taken place. I only noted the DE position because we are not filling in new players at that certain spot. Also, replacing McNeil on the line will be tough, but having 2 potential All-Americans (Grubbs, Duckworth) to help out doesn't hurt too much.

Also, WR is a concern... but having Taylor/Prechae around will help the situation a little bit.

3. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Out interior goes a little bigger than 260, 260, 270. It is the LB's that are smallish.
    http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf?resources/depth.html

Nose Guard
    97 Josh Thompson (6-0, 302, JR)
    99 Tez Doolittle (6-3, 298, So.)
    95 Pat Sims (6-4, 314, SO)
    Defensive Tackle
    92 Christopher Browder (6-5, 260, SR)
    94 Sen'Derrick Marks (6-1, 287, FR)

And then there is this guy, IF he can get 7 hours in the second summer session:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sec/Auburn.htm
    Greg Smith L 6-3 315 Chattanooga, TN (Tyner/NE Mississippi J.C.)
    JC/HIGH SCHOOL: Originally signed with the Tigers as a high school senior out of Tyner High in Chattanooga * Ranked No. 5 on the Rivals.com Junior College Top 100 list as a five-star prospect and the nation's top defensive tackle * Helped Northeast Mississippi rank fourth in the nation in 2005 in total defense (186.9) and rushing defense (59.0) and 11th in pass defense (127.9) * Made the All-State Juco team as a freshman after recording 37 tackles for loss * Was the Tennessee Division II Lineman of the Year after making 164 tackles with 37 tackles for loss, 11 forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a senior for Tyner High School, which went 12-2 and advanced to the state playoffs * Was a three-year starter on both sides of the ball in high school * Listed as a player to watch on the 2005 JC Grid-Wire Pre-Season All-American team * Team played in the 2005 Pilgrim's Pride Bowl Classic and finished 7-2.
    PERSONAL: Born Sept. 18, 1985 * Son of Greg Smith and Dewanda Taylor.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

??????:confused: Why are these guys potential AA's? Have they shown signs of this will getting actual playing time, or is is just a matter of hype?

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

When you line up against an OL that is averaging over 300 with a DT who is 260 and linebackers who are on the small side right behind, I think you are being very optimistic about that not being exploited.

If Herring is going to be put outside, like all the reports seem to indicate, Thompson is going to be one tired double teamed NT.

Again, this is my reponse to Cadillac...

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Auburn seems to be undersized somewhere on the defense every year. It somehow just seems to work out. That is where coaching, rotation, and schemes will come into play. Would a Williams and Wroten combo be better, likely. Even LSU, however, doesn't have a combo like that every year.:thumb:

7. cajdav1

I agree with that, and we've had trouble with undersized lines a lot the past 4 years as far as the running games goes especially. Size can be overrated quite a bit IMO, especially weight.

Now, where's vatz22AU so he can answer my question above?;)

8. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=557433

Descriptions of why they were picked. To note, Duckworth had 22.5 pancake blocks in the first ten games of the season with a knee injury. Graded 101% against UGA and 93% against LSU.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Grubbs and Duckworth are as good as our own Will Arnold and all three will make pre-season AA lists. But . . .

When anybody grades out at 101%, I seriously question the grader!

10. cajdav1

thanks for the info.