Ranking the SEC quarterbacks 1-10

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jun 14, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

I have a feeling that one of our QBs will be top 3 by the end of the season.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Will Garcia ever live up to the hype? I'd take JJ over him in a second.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Was going to say that maybe he should be on there twice. One play, he looks All-SEC. The next, he makes JJ look like Heisman material. No way should he be at #2.

5. red55

Wilson and Bray are way high on that list for guys who only played in a few games last year.

6. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

Tyler Wilson performed like a heisman candidate in that game against Auburn. I would have ranked him as the #2 SEC QB this year.

7. laduckfan

laduckfan Veteran Member

SEC has 4 current QB's that were in the top 40 in the country last year (QB ratings wise). 1 in the top 20. Granted 3 SEC QB's either graduated or went to the NFL last year that were all in the top 10.
    What SEC QB's do you see stepping up this year to replace Mallett, Newton and McElroy in the top 10?

8. red55

Too many intangibles. There are a lot of sophomores and untested juniors on that list that don't have a track record yet. Murray, Wilson and Brantley will likely be the front-runners. I think Jefferson and McCarron are both lower than they should be on this list. I think Garcia is too high.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Wow. Even with those three as the front-runners there are still a wealth of questions left unanswered.

Murray? I don't have a problem with the notion he's the front-runner for leading QB in the SEC this season. But, who does he throw it to?

Wilson? Looked great against Auburn, but hasn't faced a decent defense as of yet. Arkansas is replacing both tackles and are working with four guys right now for those position. Only one, Freeman, has what we'd call experience on the OL.

Brantley? Like we've talked about earlier...how can one not foresee a rift between Weis and Muschamp on the horizon? I do believe Weis can develop him into a better "pro-style passing QB" but it's also my gut instinct Muschamp is going to be about ball control more than Weis is...

Jordan? I've always had a heck of a lot of respect for Kragthorpe. There's an intangible from a coaching point of view a lot haven't considered...or, maybe they just haven't voiced opinions?

McCarron? I don't expect to see Rohan type of numbers out of him in his collegiate career. But, I also don't see him as one who turns the ball over. Heck, his predecessor only had 10 picks in 28 games. The math on that turns into one pick for every 68 throws...new SEC all time record.

Garcia lit us up last season—17 for 20 I think with three TD's-but I can't think of another team he had numbers even close to that. Heck red, that's including teams like Furman where he had more incompletions, less TD's and two picks.

One choice of Lowe's here I think is the closest? Relf at MSU. Under Mullen's offense he should have some impressive showings this year.

10. red55

Wilson is one of those with no track record as I mentioned, but he sure seems to be getting a lot of ink because of that Auburn game.

Neither of them is going to be throwing the ball. Brantley has talent, experience, and is surrounded by talent. He has the potential to do vey well.

There is a large faction of Tigerfans who think Jefferson's main problem is never having had a proper quarterback coach. We will see this season if Kragthrop's influence steadies Jefferson and breaks his bad habits.

Like Brantley and Jefferson, McCarron is surrounded by enough talent to do well. They don't need a lot of home runs, just keep getting base hits and keep rival offenses off the field and they will do well.

I could be wrong about Garcia, but I don't see him taking South Carolina into the SECCG.

Here is a case of a man that may not have enough talent around him to survive what is going to be the roughest year in history to get out of the SEC West undefeated.