Ranking the uniforms in the SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CoastalNole, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

There helmet looks like an ad for Quaker State.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Here's how I would rate SEC uniforms.

1)LSU- DUH! No, seriously, a classic. The purple and gold shoulder stripes, pants, and helmets are distinctive and present a bold profile. Our helmet logo should be our full-time logo instead of the current cartoonish one. The purple jerseys look as good, if not better, than the white ones. Jersey mesh is not too transparent, but not too thick either. It's just right.

2) Alabama-Classic look. A piece of American and college football tradition. The number's on the helmet are unique, as Alabama is one of a few D1-A schools to stick with that old-school style. Red jerseys look cool. The stripe on the pants is much better than plain white, in my opinion.

3) Auburn-Like LSU, a distinctive logo that is instantly recognizable. Simple yet bold. Color scheme is very good overall. I would only suggest putting "AUBURN" on the front of the jerseys instead of just the number.

4) Georgia- The black "G" is a great logo, and the stripes match well. Love the jerseys and the stripe on the pants.

5) South Carolina- I LOVE the garnet jerseys with CAROLINA across the front. Helmet logo is hard to make out though. I think they ought to go with a different one, or switch to black helmets.

6) Florida- I actually think the assorted color combos are cool. "Gators" in cursive on the helmets is a great logo. I think the school name on the front of the jerseys would be a nice touch.

7) Ole Miss- I like their red jerseys better than their blue. Too much dark blue is negative. The shoulder stripes are good, as is the helmet logo. They ought to try blue pants.

8) Arkansas- Just a different shade of Alabama, but not done as well. The logo is nice, but they need to stripe their pants. I hate plain white pants. Their road unis (red pants with white jerseys) look good.

9) Kentucky- BORING! Road unis (blue-white-blue) look a lot better than home (white-blue-white). They have such a pretty blue shade too. WHY do they still have those ugly egg helmets?!

10) Vanderbilt- Writing "Vanderbilt" across the helmet is definitely too cumbersome. They should definitely go back to the old "V" with crossed swords of a few years back with VANDERBILT across the jersey front. They should copy the Saint's color scheme. Black and gold doesn't have to be hideous, folks.

11) Tennessee- I HATE the shade of orange they have. It's hard to see on TV, and it looks almost peach in person. You don't have to be burnt orange like Texas, but please go a few shades darker than what you've got. The logo could look real good if it were just a little bit darker orange.

12) Mississippi State- Their jerseys and helmets are brown. Enough said. I don't care what Dawg fans say. It's not maroon. It's not dark crimson. It looks BROWN! Like something you would see in a toilet. The all-white uniforms on the road are no better. PLEASE put a stripe on the pants and put some color into the jerseys. That won't make them look any better, but I could at least stand it then.

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Since I live in Knoxville, I work with lots of UT fans (it's a good way to test my patience). I've been told by several that they think LSU has the best uniforms of the SEC. Of course, they've sworn me to secrecy, so I can't tell anyone else. I think if you say that someone else has a better uniform than UT, you get stoned to death.

They school has a patent on the "Power T". How can you patent the letter "T"?

Sheesh.

4. TennesseeTiger

I hear that high school kids that are sports stars get great deals on those...:D

5. TennesseeTiger

Miami and Oregon...

I swear they look like they're wearing suspenders...

Just like the Denver Broncos...

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

there are some small colleges that have some hideous uniforms.

First the comes to mind is Florida A&M....they look like they are going to a carnival.

There is another whose helmets are/were ridiculous......the helmets are gold with black rings going around it........can't describe how ugly it is.....looks almost like a bandage. I think it was Emporia St and it looks as though they have changed there uni's on their website or atleast the helmet. I think they are the Jackets so I guess the helmet was suppose to look like a bee hive. Only reason I saw it was they had a guy play RB in the Senior Bowl a few years back. Anyone else seen this?

There are a couple of high school teams whose uni's are hideous. There is a team near BR and one in New Orleans that wear socks that look like candy canes of a different color....awful. I think Elphiage (sp ?) from Tulane went to school at the NO one.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I favor the white jerseys whenever we can wear them. Circumstances will force the purple jerseys to be worn from time to time and that's alright.

But white jerseys are how we are recognized and seen around the country. Its a major tradition and part of why we get recognition in print and on TV as well as Internet articles like the above.

Purple is just too Mardi Gras. It looks like a high school uniform out there.

And yes, LSU gold is a bright friggin' shade of yellow, get used to it. Metallic gold like Notre Dame or Vanderbilt is an antique look. The hell with that.

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I know this is a bad and small picture. It is from the Advocate's new website. The reason I am posting it, is that it shows the shoulder stripes go all around the shoulder and underneath arm (earlier pictures is this thread show this as well). Now it seem the strips are just on top of the shoulder pads. It seems the change it not 100% and goes with players who want very short sleeves. Why can't they have the stripes the old way and still keep the short sleeves(also means less to grab)?

9. Sambacocker

Sambacocker Freshman

Excluding our unis I really like Arkansas' and UGA's unis the most. UT and UF are by far the ugliest. I don't mind MSU when they where all white. The others don't even look maroon, they look plum. When I was younger I thought their school colors were plum and white.

As far as the ugliest in the nation my vote goes to Va. Tech.