Ranking the Wide Receivers of the South

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, May 10, 2006.

1. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I feel that way toward JaMarcus Russell. I was disappointed when Mauck chose to leave early, but I knew we had a kid that could run (supposedly... he looks aweful doing it) and throw pretty well. So far, I'm not too impressed, especially since he was one of the top QBs coming out of high school. I expected a lot more. He kind of reminds me of Brock Berlin, in a sense. Berlin was highly touted coming out of college, but was merely adequate at best.

I hope all of our receivers step it up. I hope JaMarcus breaks all kinds of LSU records this year. I think it would be nice to see him tone down a bit, yet it would make him even more vulnerable to injury. And I would love to see a running back come out if nowhere like Irons did for AuBURNT, seeing how our guys are pretty banged up...

2. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

When are we gonna have another Michael Clayton, Jerel Meyers, Devery Henderson, and Josh Reed group again?

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Doucet was quite impressive his freshmen year here considering it was his first time he played WR (he was a QB in HS). But like most of the others, he had a dissapointing season last year.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

JaMarcus isn't a great QB, but he's a lot better than "adequate" and definitely already better than Brock ever was. The problem with JaMarcus was from the beginning that he came from a system that ran a very basic offense that didn't require many reads and relied on him making plays.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

ill just refer to his record as a starting qb whenever I have a gripe. Its the same way I judge lester.

til that changes, there really isnt much to argue.

and if you saw early before he got here, surely his freshman year was a disappointment in light of his skill set.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Too early to judge Doucet. He's been playing on the third string behind seniors Skyker Green and Bennie Brazell who both got drafted by the NFL and behind junior starters Bowe and Davis. He just hasn't really gotten the opportunity to play. It takes game experience to gain consistency and he just needs more PT. Same thing with Carter.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

3rd string? i think you have 3rd receiver on the depth chart confused with string. Although as much as lester likes to line up with strong I sets its probably ends up being the same thing .

if i see as much jacob hester this year as last I may just vomit. nothing against the kid but overdosing on your lesser skilled players much less a fullback when you have skyler green patrolling the sidelines well..

ok i need to refer back to the wins i referenced before i regress back to criticizing lester.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Bowe obviously has had a problem with his eyes, but IMO he tried to run with the ball before he caught it on most of the ocassions where he had drops. That was a mental problem, not a form problem. Again IMO.

JR has already far outstripped Berlin as a college QB, in almost everyone's opinion.

:rofl:

9. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

That's why I think the jury is still out on coach Monken. I was very disappointed in the WR's production as a whole last year. This guy inherited what many experts thought was the best WR group in the nation & basically took them backwards. If these guys don't turn it around this year he needs to be fired.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

They didn't go backwards, so much as not move forward, and it was like that for the entire offense - not just them. Any opinions of us having the best WR group in the nation were based purely on potential & recruiting rankings as none of them had produced anything close to being worthy of the honor. I think Monken is a good coach, but I don't know how good. If he dissapoints again, which I don't expect, he could be let go.