RB situation in 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jan 29, 2011.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

How do you see the RB situation working out for next season?

I'm curious people's guesses for RB carries/yards for next season.

How many carries and yards do you think each RB will get next season? Who starts? How does the depth chart stack up?

Personally, I expect Spencer Ware to start. He's got the ability to pound the ball between the tackles, the speed to take it to the corner, he can pass-block, he can catch... That said, he'll only be a true Sophomore next year and was a QB in high school, so I'm not going to go crazy with predictions of him being awesome.

Michael Ford hasn't shown that type of versatility yet. He's appeared mostly one-dimensional so far.

Alfred Blue surprised everybody to be the 2nd string RB until he got hurt. I thought he was fine, but Miles seems to really like him.

I think Ware rushes for 900 yards on 150 carries.
    Ford & Blue each get around 400 yards on 50 carries.
    Hilliard ends up with 15 carries for 60 yards.
    Russell Sheppard & Jackhori Gore get some carries as well.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

:milesmic: has always had an affinity for pure between-the-tackles backs over the years, which is why Alley Broussard, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott and Stevan Ridley all started ahead of more versatile backs. With that in mind, look for Ford to be the first option in '11, with Ware moving ahead of Blue as first to spell Ford. With (admittedly) nothing to back this feeling up on, I think Shepard gets more handoffs out of the slot and possibly as the back in the shotgun this season. Hilliard will get every opportunity to prove he's college ready in the spring, but he'll need to demonstrate that he's completely over the ankle injury, and could probably drop a little weight as well. A redshirt would not surprise me if he doesn't get those things done. If we stick by the commitment to Hill and he gets cleared to play, I could see him getting those 15 or so carries CParso gave to Hilliard. Same amount for Gore; I've got a feeling he's destined for a Trindon Holliday-type role.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I disagree. Miles likes complete backs. First priority is pass-blocking, second priority is running between the tackles.

Ford wasn't even a between the tackles runner this past season, and he sure didn't display ability as a pass-blocker.

Hill won't sign his LOI - greyshirt is a best case scenario for him right now.

4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I agree with this almost entirely. I expect Hilliard to get more carries as a freshman because of his running style. Of all the backs, he is the best runner between the tackles, and I see him getting carries much like Charles Scott did in his freshman year. I expect him to get more around 400-500 yards, probably largely coming from big games for him against our lesser opponents. This is just a hunch, though.

5. dudley

dudley oops!

I think Spencer Ware will outdo what Ridley did this past season, with Blue also getting a lot of carries. Both Ware and Blue can run, block and catch the ball and Ware can even pass it. I think Ware will turn out to be one of the great running backs in LSU history.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ware, Ford, and Blue will battle for the start. Whoever shows the inside power and durability will rise to the top. I'm thinking Ware.

7. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

I expect SW to get Ridley's carries...and end up with more yards. Ford will have SW's carries from last season.

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Thats not very many carries.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The RBs you mentioned started because they were the best at running, catching AND blocking.

10. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I have read Krag is known for throwing the ball to runningbacks. If we see screens and other quick passes to the backs who gets those calls?