Re: Iraqi independence spells trouble for who?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Jun 29, 2004.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Quick question, let's assume Iraq's government stays relatively stable and on face value is a democracy, ala Russia. Which country does this spell the most trouble for, Syria or Iran? It seems to me the drumbeat against Iran has been picking up in the media so I have to think there will be some confrontation in the future. It seems the media usually does that to prepare people for the event.....or is that just my mind playing tricks on me again? At the same time Syria is usually named the most likely place for the WMD's if they still exist.....am I the only one that thinks our business in the Middle East isn't finished and that we are likely to find another cause for regime change after the election in November?

Gotta run, I think my phone's just been tapped...... :shock:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Try to get a bomb-sniffing dog to check out your car too. Just a thought.

I would definitely say Iran. The youth there want a change, it's just a matter of time. If Iraq succeeds, and it will (unless Kerry wins in November), Iran is soon to follow.

Turkey, Jordan and Saudi Arabian governments are already pro-American, per se.

So that leaves Syria and it's colonial possession Lebanon leftover. At that point they can either choose to die for an unjust cause or get with the program.

Another generation from now, the Middle East is a totally different political landscape. All thanks to a President that had the guts to do what is right.

Thank you George W. Bush. This will be as significant a change as Reagan winning the cold war when all is said and done.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sudan is also in the current bullseye. Colin Powell gave them a fairly blunt warning yesterday. The Sudanese government is authorizing Arab militias to kill thousands of black Africans. Al Qaeda has a long presence there, as well. This time we are lining up international support.

Powell in the Sudan

Neither Bush nor any succeeding president is going to be rashly invading another country anytime soon. It would be domestic political suicide and our enemies know it. That is bad, because Iran, Syria, Pakistan, and Korea could be major military problems soon. Two, possibly three, are nuclear capable opponents.

Even China is making aggressive military maneuvers and belligerent rhetoric about taking Taiwan by force. The US is obligated by treaty to defend Taiwan. But China is clearly tempted by the thought that the US is not currently likely to risk American casualties to defend Taiwan. Especially while the army and marines are still mired in Iraq.

Any of the potential enemies mentioned above may try to exploit the fact that we are not completely capable of fighting two wars at once. We need to disentangle, refit, regroup, and augment the military and get ready for what will be needed in the next decade, which may not be pretty. Right now we are stretched very thin with all of our reserves activated and deployed.

The next crisis could come from a half-dozen different places. Prudence would suggest that the US prepare for all contingencies, but wait until the decisive strategic moment before taking action. It does no good to flatten Syria, if it is Korea that turns out to be the biggest and most immediate threat.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Iran is the next Berlin Wall.

5. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Red, you make the point about China and Taiwan and China will probably do whatever it wants to do without interference from us but not because of military incapability but because just about every damn thing we use in this country anymore is made in FREAKIN' CHINA!!!! Practically our whole damn economy is reliant on China!

6. red55

True, war with China would severely impact our economy with the losses of all those sneakers and T-shirts. We really can't afford war with China and maintain our easy lifestyle.

On the other hand, China needs US dollars far more than we need Chinese merchandise that can be gotten from Thailand, Mexico or elsewhere if need be. The Chinese economy would absolutely collapse with no inflow of dollars. This is why they backed down so fast over the recconaisance plane collision incident and gave up the plane and crew. They simply cannot risk a war with the US. A simple naval blockade would cripple China in months.

China is getting rich trading with the US. They have to be careful about Taiwan and they will not underestimate the US response. They have seen what happened to Japan in 1945 and to Iran in 2003. But they must be tempted when they see us committed elsewhere.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Sorry, But its a good thing I'm not president!

I would use a bomb to send a message to China and anyone else if they invaded Taiwan or anywhere they shouldn't.
    I would send one everyday if need be until we were taken seriously.

We may be short on troops but we can still watch the store with the military we have
    in South Korea and Japan.

We are way too soft today and carry a big stick.

Did you know that in Germany after WWII, we had similar insurgents and former SS people terrorizing civilians and military personnel?

If people didn't co-operate in Germany and were caught disrupting the coalition there
    they were executed with no questions asked.

8. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Iran is on the verge of developing the Islamic bomb. It already has the missiles to deliver them deep into Europe, and soon anywhere in the world. Acquisition of the Islamic bomb for Iran will be the great equalizer with the great Satan. It will be impetus that will enable them to spread their Khomeniest Islamic revolution through terrorism with impunity throughout the world.

The West will make a grave error in judgment if it sits idle and lets Iran acquire the Islamic bomb unchallenged. The doctrine of MAD doesn’t work too well with barbarians, especially with people who have been inculcated to love death more than they love life. Mark my words, it will be a historic error of epic proportions if the West allows Iran to get their hands on nukes.

Islamofascist death cultists are bad and dangerous enough as it is. Islamofascists with nuclear weapons will be our worst nightmare.

9. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

That was exactly the thinking behind either Israel or the US moving against Iran.....to make sure that doesn't happen. I guess that's why the intelligence service is so important. We need to move before it's too late.....my guess is sometime between now and next Spring/Summer.

10. red55

A true statement if there ever was one.

But it must not be forgotton that Pakistan already has an Islamic Bomb and missiles capable of hitting US forces in Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Diego Garcia, Kuwait, D'Jbouti, Bahrain, Turkey, Oman, and the 5th Fleet anchorages. Pakistan is our ally today, but then so was Iran in the 1970's, right up to the point that they became our sworn enemies. Pakistan is where Bin Lauden lives. It is a mistake to trust the Paks.

And North Korea has nuclear weapons and missiles capable of hitting US territory in Alaska as well as US forces in South Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Guam, and the 7th Fleet anchorages. And the deranged midget that runs the place is just crazy enough to try us.

Iran must be handled seriously, but never to to exclusion of more immediate threats. Iran is much like the former Soviet Union, with a seething revolution brewing, way too many powerful enemies, and an economy that won't support being a nuclear power. They may very well implode in a similar fashion soon and all we have to do is be patient . . . and then laugh our asses off.