Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by locoguano, Mar 12, 2012.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Red's signature got me thinking about Niccola Machiavelli's, "The Prince"

Written in 1513, Machiavelli's The Prince, is an intensely practical guide to the exercise of raw political power over a Renaissance principality.

Basically, written as a Prince's "how to" book, for maintaining political power.

Machiavelli is an advocate of ruthless cruelty, premeditated backstabbing, and political assassination. . I found parts of this little book to be extremely fascinating.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Just finished "Cruel Doubt" by Joe McGinnis. Same guy that wrote the one about Jeffery Macdonald, read that one too. Really love to get @wjray take on it if he has read it. Twisted shit and puts defense attorneys in a completely new light for me.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I reading the Brooke Shields autobiography about her mother. I found out a lot of things I didn't know about Brooke (like her dad was remarried to Jackie Kennedy's step-sister, etc.) But the main theme throughout the book is Brooke writing about her mother's alcoholism and then apologizing for how her mom was an asshole.

Oh, and Brooke is bat shit crazy, as well. Her mom kept her rather socially retarded with regard to men. She was a virgin until she was in her early 20's, and even then felt so guilty that she had sex out of wedlock that she lost her relationship with Dean Cain over losing her virginity to him after they'd dated for 4 years.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have three open at present.

A Game of Thrones, by George Martin -- The TV series was in its third year before I checked it out and I realized that it would be far better to read the books before seeing the series in order on Netflix. So I finally started it.

The Anglo-Saxons, by James Campbell -- Very good, well illustrated history of the Anglo-Saxon people from whom many if not most of us are descended.

The Complete Book of Human Evolution, by Stevens and Andrews -- A recent book that updates what has been learned about Human evolution since the books I read 10 or 15 years ago.

5. red55

I was on the riverboat in New Orleans in the 80's when she was about 20. I was about to walk down the stairs when I see Brooke Shields and her bodyguard coming up. So I just stood there and watched her walk up the steps . . . and up . . . and up . . . and up . . . you know, she's over 6 feet tall!

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How could she resist Dean Cain? He was Superman.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Modeling is just like football....they sorta lie about the stats. Years ago I worked in West Hollyweird on Melrose by the Pacific Design Center. Lots of famous folks shopped next door at the J Robert Scott textile showroom so I had the chance to see how they "measured up". I know how tall I am....Brooke is not even 6'. She is however, stunning. Michael Landon and Sylvester Stallone? Runt city.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

She was busy dating Michael Jackson. He Heee He.

9. red55

I'm 5-11 and I looked up at her from 3 feet away. They list her as 6'-0". I absolutely buy it.

I know what you mean. I worked nights at a liquor store when I was in college. One night I sold a bottle of wine to Leonard Nimoy. He looks really tall on TV and he's listed as 6', but . . . he ain't.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Seeing as it's topical at the moment, I would highly recommend Unbroken. It is far better than the movie and is an amazing story.