Reading a good book?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal Buddy, May 3, 2007.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

He's my favorite baseball player too. And to think his accomplishments were all done with nothing but talent.

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

On that note, "Game of Shadows" is my current-when traveling on a plane-book.

3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

The Collectors by David Baldacci. Good read, not deep, somewhat predictable, but satisfying. I generally like anything James Lee Burke writes.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have three books open right now:

"The Eagle", by Jack Whyte. It is the concluding novel in in a series of six books of pre-Authurian England that has been described as a King Arthur tale as told by the non-coms.

"Biblica: The Bible Atlas", by Barry J. Beitzel. A huge 14 x 20 " color atlas with excellent cartography, photos, and illustrations. Almost 600 pages with 125 original maps. Very readable for a book of this type, it places the biblical narrative and its peoples in their true historical, cultural, social, and geographic contexts.

"Riders of the Purple Sage", by Zane Grey. This famous Western novel had previously only been published in highly edited and censored versions since the 1920's to avoid angering Mormons or offending straight-laced people of the times. But a new version has been released that uses Grey's original hand-written manuscripts to restore the novel to its original form.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

That's really good to hear.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i love sherlock holmes. this jibes with my theory that almost all good fiction was introduced to us in school.

7. MCab

MCab Founding Member

Finished:

Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen - Lot of fun, even though it's quite sympathetic toward enviroterrorism. If you are from Florida, his stuff is must-read.

Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - Graphic novel, in short, Batman is 50ish, retired, and a drunk. He decides to put the costume back on and get back to fighting crime. He even takes on Superman. Who wins?

Reading:

The Charm School Cold-war spy thriller about the Soviets taking American POWs and turning them into spies. So far, lot of fun, I love all things Russian.

Total Rugby by Lee Greenwood - Too disorganized, I don't really walk away from it knowing more about the sport.

New Seesd of Contemplation by Thomas Merton, another spiritual book confirming my belief that Catholics write the best ones. Life changing, even for the skeptic.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

does that include encyclopedia brown?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course. encyclopedia brown rocked my world when i was a kid.

any fiction you have not heard of by the time you graduate college is likely miserable. everything your teachers told you was good is good. this is true until about sophomore year in college when you are forced to read snoozers.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Wow, did that spark a childhood memory. Loved that story as a kid, so I will certainly have to look for it again if you say it is non-censored now.

Just finished two very interesting books; Men Astutely Trained & reread a favorite fiction novel of my teen years, The Borribles.