Reading a good book?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal Buddy, May 3, 2007.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

bought the Maravich book finally at books uh millyun. I cant wait to read it since his wife had a lot of input in this one and is a co-author somewhat.

weird thing happened as I checked out, this fat chick worker who didnt show until I was about to walk out the store after 10 mins due to no one at the counter, told me they had signed copies which sorta interested me i suppose if they cost the same --but it was a completely different book.

So, she found one and assumed I wanted it instead of the book i was buying. Like the sig trumped the book I originally wanted. I was confused, stared at it trying to comprehend then told her thanks but no thanks unless it was the same title I was initially buying.

Either that or she just wanted more commission and thought Id buy every book on pete if she could find it. Strange either way. both were hardbacks so neither was cheap per se.

27 bucks i think. plus i bought another copy of moneyball to reread and this protein power/locarb book.

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I'm currently reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Wilde, for the second time and "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max.

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Just finished Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. I happened to see it on the shelf at the library, and after learning about the "Muckrakers" in high school so many years ago, I figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't near as gross as I thought it's be. Of course, the meat packing industry has cleaned up quite a bit since then, right????? :redface: :confused:

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I remember reading that book YEARS ago but don't remember any details.

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Was it a good book?

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Paddy Whacked-The untold story of the Irish-American gangster. Actually, it covers everyone from Danny Lyons (think "Gangs of New York") to John Gotti, Jr, who can hardly be considered Irish. If you share my fascination for all things Mafioso, you'll love this book.

www.curledup.com/paddywha.htm

I have got to find that book. Is it widely available?

I do a ton of light, or recreational reading, albeit mostly on the throne.

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I just started reading The Rise of American Democracy: From Jefferson to Lincoln a couple weeks ago. I've gotten through the first hundred pages or so, with like 600 to go, and I have really enjoyed it so far.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm starting Dianetics: The modern science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard tomorrow on a flight to Minneapolis. I figure it could be a good conversation starter.

I tried to find it on Amazon, but apparently they don't carry it so I bought it off ebay.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

cmon, of course amazon carries dianetics, you must have made a mistake.

you are really committed to broadening your understanding of crazy people. i couldnt read that, i would die of boredom.

i am read "god is not great" by christopher hitchens. i need to be more like you and read something that differs slightly from what i think. these atheist books that have been coming out recently are boring, because they are basically the lectures i have given you folks over the last few years.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

that should be interesting because now you wil have perspective on the players that they were scouting and analyzing. i know beane was crazy insanely wrong about bonderman.