Reasons to be positive.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Sep 28, 2010.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

1st, let me say that with this D, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

YEA, I know, you gotta have some production on O, but lets look at it from a different angle..

So far this year, everything is clicking about this team EXCEPT that QB. Sad thing is, that is the most important part about the O.

The good thing is that if the QB's make a turn in the right direction, LSU is game time...

The QB doesn't even have to turn much in the right direction to be honest with you, just a little.

What I think we should look for and focus is this LSU playing mistake free Ball. Which really translates into:

No Penalties
    Fewer Dropped Passes

Aside from the obvious QB issue, these 2 areas are(possibly) easier to fix and could yield a NOTICEABLE production in this O...

I really believe this. Not so much room to be optimistic for some, but for people like me who cling to hope like its the last piece of catfish on earth, I think just improvement in this coming week in these 2 areas will be a BIG step in the right direction..

This is just what I am looking for and hope LSU can clean up these 2 areas at least...

LSU!

2. jt4lsu0923

jt4lsu0923 Founding Member

I couldn't agree with you more. With less penalties comes more efficient offense. Hell, if it is 3rd and 12 everytime, the defense knows a pass is coming. If we have more manageable 3rd down distances, things will go a lot better. I am not saying that Jefferson is the second coming of Peyton Manning, but he is not as bad as people are making him out to be.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

As I posted before, getting into 2nd or 3rd and stupid yds, due to penalties killed several possible drives. We will never know what might have been in the WVU game, but if we get to disciplined ball we might see where we can get in future games. Starting this week against UT. I would bet that if we eliminate most of the penalties and dropped balls (especially the TT drop that ended with an int) that we would have scored 10-14 more pts.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Unfortunately 'Anything is possible' is not the case here, because there is a coach who refuses to succumb to logic and make a change at quarterback.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yes, some of the dropped passes are just that, dropped/not looking the pass in before turning to run, etc. However, some are the result of an obvious, telegraphed play call with the defender subsequently playing tight. Look at the actual catches our receivers do make and see how they get lit up immediately. It is rare in CGCs offense these days to get a player in space where he can make an unpressured (word?) catch and turn it upfield for more yards. So, I am not optimistic that we will see much improvement in dropped passes since the receivers are probably discouraged about their production to begin with, do not see much opportunity on the horizon, know they are going to get lit up when they do catch the ball, all translating to dropped balls predictably multiple times per game.

Sorry to derail a positive thread, but this offense is just so frustrating that I personally am not optimistic they will make much progress until we cut the umbilical cord on Crowton and wave bye-bye. Having said that, I do think our defense and special teams play will get us to 10 victories this year, but probably will not win SECW, much less SEC, with this offensive offense.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

When is the last time this team has shown much discipline.

2007?

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Well folks I'm bullish on your Defense. Can argue it's the best in the SEC. Let that sink in, the best in the SEC. Chavis, I heard went to the press box and is making the calls from on high, hold your position. He has gone to a smaller, faster team and says for some reason he can coach the faster players more effectively, now that's funny. This gives LSU a great chance to match up with Florida next week, even in the swamp. I'm positive that Miles will have to tweak the offense and come up with something special for the big, big games. Otherwise, this is a very good team.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nick says the same thing . . . and he's stone cold dead serious.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Well since penalties are one of your favorite indicators of a lack of discipline I would think the answer would be obvious. But since you said the 2007 team - 113 penalties/844 yards - the most penalized team in the SEC, was disciplined, I suppose you don't know what that is after all. :thumb:

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You ever consider that maybe the coaches know a little more than us? Maybe there is a reason no change has been made?