Reasons to worry at Auburn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Aug 20, 2003.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

most of those concerns are pretty legit . .

3. chuck

chuck Founding Member

actually, I don't agree with some of his stuff:

1) Jason Campbell - everyone can raise doubts about him they want. The fact remains he was 5-1 as a started against the likes of LSU, Alabama, UGA, Ole Miss, and Penn State, not to mention HUGE rallies vs. Syracuse and Floprida . he had a 11/5 TD/INT ration which is not bad . . hardly a liablity
    2) Anyone who says that Tre Smith is not as good as Brandon Jacobs has not been paying attention. Smith has out performed Brandon in practice and has proved he could run against two of the top DL's in the nation last year (LSU and Alabama). Just because he's small and white, doesn't mean he's not dang good.
    3) I wish we hadn't lost Petrino, but there is a reaosn Nall was hired. . to ensure that we run the same offense as last year.
    4) Our WR's are very exciting . .they may not have experience . .but we have 2 true sophs and 1 rs Frosh that have phenominal speed, size, strenght and talent . .I think it will be a bright spot

I do agree that our schedule is tough and am concerned about our DBs. Previous history of SEC teams (high ranked teams the previous year, and preseason faves) is a dumb way to rate a team.

4. Thibodaux Tiger

Thibodaux Tiger Professional Lurker

well Jacobs is from the great state of Louisiana , so i'd have to go with him over Tre Smith anyday

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

What we're going to learn this year is can Tubby take Auburn to the promised land. He's going to have to shed that "Riverboat Gambler" mentality and get the most out of this talented group for 12 weeks. I swear, sometimes I get the impression that soothing his own ego takes precedence over what's the best thing to do to ensure victory.

By the way, I thought that was an excellent article. His description of recruiting young legal studs-to-be was hilarious.

6. chuck

chuck Founding Member

we shouldn't see much of the Riverboat Gambler this year. CTT went to Jimmy Johnson back when he started coaching at Ole Miss, and asked for advice on how to coach such a talent depleated team in the highly competitive SEC. Johnson's advise was 'keep it interesting,' trick plays make it fun, and going for it on 4th down shows the players you have confidence in them.

CTT has said that the team he inherited at Auburn was extremely talent depleated, and that this by far is the most talented and deep team he has been the HC of. Therefore, he has alluded to the fact that the need for these trick plays should fade. Although its nice to keep you opponents guessing.

Either way . it has nothing to do with CTT's ego, it has to do with his players ego and giving confidence to players who may be overmatched talent wise.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Are you interested in some real estate I have for sale south of Dularge? ;)

8. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I am personally not as high on Campbell has some. I don't think he is that no-mistake QB as some others seem to believe NOR do I think he will be able to handle a full year of SEC ball with perfection. I think he will be AU's downfall this year.

9. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

yea, but from what I saw of Tre last year, that is one quick dude...white lightnin!

10. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I think Campbell detractors will be very surprised this year . . I will say it again . .5-1 vs. 4 Top Ten Teams, and huge comebacks vs. UF and Syracuse.

An 11/4 TD/INT Ratio against 4 of the top defenses in the nation .. .

But . .I'll guess he'll have to prove it . . .again . .