Reasons to worry at Auburn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Aug 20, 2003.

1. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

What evidence would you say makes you think he would make too many mistakes? He only managed to get through the six games he started with a 5-1 record...and even you would have to admit that without Ronnie and Brandon going down to injury and that unbelievable throw from Greene, he would likely have been 6-0. I think that's his main strength actually. He still has to prove he can go out and win the game for you. He has already proven he can run the offense and not make the critical errors that get you beat.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I don't buy the "likely" talk because if we want to play that game, UGA could also have been "likely 14-0" and ext...for each game. AU and UGA both played hard fought games but that great throw was a practiced play that worked. Not some hail mary that went 65 yards.

Back to Campbell, I am not high on the guy because 2 years, AU fan (that I met on the Internet) were calling Campbell a near lost cause ALREADY. We all know he isnt as exactly a smart kid, IQ wise, and before last year and extreme trouble reading a defense. Also, maybe it was me but didnt anyone else realize how much confidence it seemed that Tubby lost in Campbell during the 2nd half when he struggled? To me, IMO, that tells me that Tubby doesn't have 100% confidence in the kid. 3rd, he still has yet to play a full SEC schedule. Yes, he is 5-1 against the best teams or whatever but it only takes 1 play, 1 game to lose your confidence, ext...

With those and some more, I think he will make AU a 9-3, 10-2 team.

3. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

I know. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The bottom line was, Campbell played well enough in that game for us to win. But Ronnie and Brandon going down hurt us. And that practiced throw wouldn't have been complete without our guy, who was in perfect position, stumbling. My point was just that it took a combination of tough circumstances, completely out of Campbell's control, for you guys to eke out that win.

Don't take that as saying you didn't deserve the win. You guys did what you had to do. I shook the Georgia fans' hands in front of us at the end and said "great game". I'm just setting the context.

Well, part of that was that he came in with sky-high expectations that were simply too high for the average freshman to bear. He simply was not a good fit for Mazzone's offense. In fact, Leard was about the only one who was a good fit. I think the fans just expected too much too soon from a QB that really did not have a whole lot of talent (his freshman year) around him in the WR department.

Last year, he had a new offense to learn. Once he did, 5-1 against 4 Top Ten teams, not to mention the comebacks he led against Syracuse and Florida.

If we go 9-3, I'll be disappointed and surprised. I think we should win the West and probably should win the SEC. People talking about national championships in August don't seem to understand the amount of luck and other factors that go into a run like that. Georgia should understand that well. I'd venture to say if they hadn't sleepwalked through the UF game, it would have been them playing Miami for the NC instead of OSU. You have to show up every game and you have to get the bounces.

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I guess this will be decided this season.