receiving punts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dvm4tigers, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dvm4tigers

dvm4tigers Freshman

I never see LSU try to block a punt.It seems the return is always on,yet we hardly ever field a punt much less return one.Why does LSU ignore this part of the game?

2. TC

TC Le Big Mac

LSU is last in the SEC and 108th in the nation in punt returns.

That will be another hindrance to a championship run.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Opponents are kicking them high and short to keep us from getting a return on.

4. IhateLouHoltz

IhateLouHoltz Founding Member

Though I am happy that even though with PUNT ugly and playing Florida and V-tech we still haven't had a punt blocked.Special teams in have been disappointing from the kick offs, to punt returns/blocks.Only the fake field goals have worked like a charm.

5. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Yes, opponents are kicking them nice and high because we're allowing them plenty of time to kick it just how they want. They need to take a look at this because our return game doesn't exist. 108th? Very pathetic, especially with the athletes we have on this team. It would be a lot easier on our O if we get some yds. from returns.

1 person likes this.
  6. slippery pete

slippery pete Founding Member

I'm not sure if its that we have a lot of young guys on special teams (specifically punt returns) or what, but it seems as though unless we get a turn over or it's a bad punt, the Tigers are always looking at a good sized field between them and the endzone.

Again, teams know we've got the speed back there so their punts and punt coverage may be by design...

7. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

Why not try something new.. bring 9? idk, but i dont think it really can get worse.

8. LSUguy31

LSUguy31 Guest

If you look at our punter... it seems everytime we do punt we have 2-3 guys in his face almost blocking his punts. The answer to this question lies in getting penetration into the backfield of opposing teams punt formations. Until we do that you'll continue to see high punts allowing no returns.

9. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Er, do the other 118 teams in Division I have slow guys returning punts?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

An "almost blocked" punt is an unblocked punt, you know. Fisher is averaging 43 yards a punt, #4 in the SEC and only one yard behind the leader.