recipes of the day 04/23/04.....let's go to the florida keys.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 23, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

just got back from universal studios in orlando and passed by jimmy buffet's restaurant (actually ate at emerils) and thought what a great day to pay tribute to the florida keys.....nice and relaxing. first recipe is jimmy buffet's margaritaville keylime pie exposed:

Top Secret Recipes version of Margaritaville Key Lime Pie

by Todd Wilbur

Most of the key lime pie recipes circulating, including the recipe found on bottles of key lime juice, have a glaring error: They don't make enough filling to fit properly into a standard 9-inch graham crust pie shell. That's probably because most of the recipes are designed around one 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. But come on, if we're going to make a beautifully thick key lime pie like the one served at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurants we need to use something like 1 1/2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, or more accurately, two cups of the stuff. The clone recipe for the pie is a simple one that's for sure, with only four ingredients including the pie shell. But don't stop there. I'm also including a special way to make mango sauce by simply reducing a couple cans of Kern's mango juice. And there's a raspberry sauce recipe here that's made easily with frozen raspberries. These two sauces are used to jazz up the plate at the restaurant and are certainly optional for your clone version, even though I've made them as easy as, uh, you know.
    2 cups sweetened condensed milk 6 egg yolks 2/3 cup key lime juice 1 graham cracker pie shell Mango Sauce 2 11.5-ounce cans Kern's mango juice Raspberry Sauce 1 1/2 cups water 2 cups frozen raspberries 1/2 cup granulated sugar Garnish canned whipped cream 4 thin lime slices, halved

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. Use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice. Mix just until ingredients are well-combined.
    3. Pour filling into graham pie shell and bake on middle rack for 20 minutes or until filling jiggles only slightly when shaken. Cool. Cover pie and chill in refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.
    4. Make mango sauce by bringing two cans of Kern's mango juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cover and chill.
    5. Make raspberry sauce by combining water and raspberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer raspberries for 10 minutes. Use a potato masher or a large spoon to crush the raspberries as they boil. Strain raspberry seeds from water, then put the liquid back into the saucepan and add the sugar. Bring mixture back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Cover and cool sauce until you are ready to serve the pie.
    6. Prepare dessert by dribbling some mango sauce and some raspberry sauce onto a small plate (you can use spoons or squirt bottles for this). Place a slice of pie onto the sauce, add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of the pie slice with one half of a thin lime slice on top of the whipped cream.

Makes 8 servings.

CajunlostinCali and watson1880 like this.
  2. snorton938

paydirt! i love when this happens. here are several florida keys recipes for deserts and main courses and a couple of mixed drinks (all have minimal numbers of ingredients and processing steps).....you can just feel that ocean breeze seeing the sunset.......

first....here's a link to some killer seafood recipes (with pictures):
    http://www.southeasternfish.org/Products/Cookbooks/Florida Seafood Recipes For The Ages v2.pdf

THE FLORIDA KEYS

DESERT RECIPES

Chocolate Key Lime Pie

1 tablespoon plain gelatin 1 cup sugar
    1/4/ teaspoon salt 4 eggs separated
    ½ cup Key Lime juice, strained ¼ cup water
    1 teaspoon grated Key Lime peel 1 cup heavy cream whipped
    1 9-inch baked chocolate graham cracker crust

Mix the gelatin, half of the sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add the Key Lime juice and water to the egg yolks. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the gelatin mixture saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring, just until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and blend in the grated peel. Chill, blending often, until mixture is thick when dropped by spoon. Beat the egg whites until soft peeks form. Add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff. Fold into the gelatin mixture. Fold in the whipped cream. Pour into the baked graham cracker crust and refrigerate until firm. Serve with a sprinkle of chocolate and garnish with lime slice.

Pina Colada Cream Pie

1/2 Cup of Pineapple Juice 4 Ounces of Crushed Pineapple, drained
    8 Ounces of Sweetened Condensed Milk 3 Cups of Whipped Topping - divided
    4 Ounces of Cream Cheese 2 (9) Inch Chocolate Cookie Pie Crusts
    4 Ounces of Shredded Coconut

Mix the cream cheese, milk and pineapple juice in a bowl. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Add the coconut, half of the whipped topping and the crushed pineapple. Mix until well blended. Divide between the two pie crusts. Top with the remaining whipped topping. Freeze. Serve and enjoy!

DINNER RECIPES

Steamed Lemon Grouper Fillets FLORIDA KEYS

6 Grouper fillets 1 small onion
    1 ½ teaspoon chopped parsley 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
    ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Place one fillet on a 12 inch square of foil. Sprinkle with the remaining 6 ingredients, including lemon juice. Fold foil to form a pocket and seal edges. Continue with remaining fillets. Place foil pockets on baking sheet and bake in pre heated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. FLORIDA KEYS

Crab Quiche FLORIDA KEYS

1 - 9"unbaked pie shell 1 small onion finely chopped
    ½ cup chopped bellpepper 2 tablespoons of butter
    4 eggs lightly beaten 2 cups half-and-half
    ½ pound grated Swiss cheese 1 teaspoon salt
    Dash of cayenne pepper 1 6.5 ounces of crabmeat

Sauté onion and bellpepper in butter until transparent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Mix eggs, half-and-half, salt, cheese, pepper and crabmeat. Add onions and bellpepper. Mix well. Pour into pie shell and bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until center is firm. Enjoy! FLORIDA KEYS

Snapper Cozumel FLORIDA KEYS

1 cup lemon juice 1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tbsp. orange zest 1 red onion, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp. lemon zest 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced 2 pounds snapper fillets
    fresh cilantro

In medium bowl, combine first five ingredients (left side of table). Whisk in oil, then mix in cilantro, onion and jalapeno pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Place Snapper in a shallow baking dish and pour marinade over top. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Drain well. Grill or broil (turn only once) until fish flakes easy with fork (8 to 10 minutes per inch of thickness). Baste frequently. Serve garnished with cilantro sprigs (serves 4). FLORIDA KEYS

Beer Boiled Shrimp FLORIDA KEYS

1 pound raw shrimp, unpeeled 4 peppercorns
    1 can of your favorite brewsky 1 whole clove garlic, peeled
    2 bay leaves 1/2 lemon, sliced

Combine all ingredients in large pot. Cover and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let stand uncovered until shrimp is pink and firm (about 5 to 10 minutes). Drain well. Serve hot or cold and chow down (serves 2 medium size portions). FLORIDA KEYS

DRINK RECIPES

Pina Colada FLORIDA KEYS

Fill blender with ice, no less than 2 shots of rum (we suggest Bacardi or Captain Morgan Spiced) and Pina Colada mix to top of ice. Blend until smooth and creamy. Top with fresh coconut (if you don't have fresh ones, e-mail us and we will send you coconut telegraph. Pop in your favorite Jimmy Buffet CD and get wasted away again in (your location). FLORIDA KEYS

Sea Breeze FLORIDA KEYS

1 and 1/4 shots of absolute vodka (or your favorite) and fill glass 50/50 with cranberry and grapefruit juice. Serve over ice in a tall glass with a long straw and cherry

watson1880 likes this.
  3. snorton938

here is proof that you can do just about anything with jello. i was just going to post the florida keys related ones but what the heck.....let's post them all along with user comments !!!!!!

Jellophile
    the Jellomaniac's Manual
    Alcoholic Jell-O Recipes

Fetter's Fuzzy Navel Jell-O Shots #2
    2 small pkgs orange jello
    1 small pkg peach jello
    4 envelopes Knox Unflavored Dry Gelatine
    2 cups hot water
    2 cups vodka.
    October 1994, Susan Fetter (microsoft.com)

Litherland's Fuzzy Navel Jiggle Shots #3
    Two small boxes (or one large) Orange Jell-O
    One cup boiling water
    One-half cup Peach Schnapps
    [Optional: Add another 1-2 cups of cold water if you don't like your Jell-O Shots this stiff. -hazel]

"Please include... a warning about the strength of these things and a notice to consume them cautiously."

Fuzzy Yellow-Handled Screwdriver
    Small box of Orange Jell-O
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup Vodka (I used Stolichnaya 100-proof)
    1/2 cup Water

Gargle Blaster Jell-O v1.0
    Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster Jell-O would be a small box of Lime Jell-O, 12 oz. of boiling Mountain Dew Soda, and 1/2 cup (4 oz.) of Green Chartreuse. The Green Chartreuse is an herbal liquor. The Mountain Dew is a caffeinated soda.

This recipe is under construction. I made it the first time using a small box of Lime Jell-O, 1 cup of boiling water, 1/2 cup of Mountain Dew Soda, and 1/2 cup of Blue Curacao instead of the Green Chartreuse. I've got to go shopping and try it the "right" way. It's not Pan-Galactic without the Chartreuse.

Green Hawaiian Jell-O v1.1
    Large box of Pineapple Jell-O
    2 cups of boiling water
    1/3 cup of Coco Lopez
    1/3 cup Light Rum
    1/3 cup Blue Curacao
    1 cup cold water
    (Joyce received a case of Blue Curacao and a case of Tequila. What to do? Why, make Jell-O, of course.)

Green Lagoon Jell-O v1.1
    Large box of Lemon-Jello
    2 cups boiling water
    1 1/3 cup cold water
    1/3 cup Vodka
    1/3 cup Blue Curacao
    (Joyce received a case of Blue Curacao and a case of Tequila. What to do? Why, make Jell-O, of course.)

Greyhound Jell-O Shots v1.1
    1 packet Knox Unflavored Gelatine
    1 cup boiling grapefruit juice
    One-half cup Vodka
    [Possible milder variation: 2 packets of unflavored gelatine, 3 cups boiling grapefruit juice, and half a cup of Vodka. If you try them, please let me know how they turn out. -hazel] "Please include... a warning about the strength of these things and a notice to consume them cautiously."

For grapefruit jell-o the best substitution I could make was to use the regular amount of Knox with grapefruit juice. Doubling the amount of the mix like you do for regular Jell-o jigglers produced a less than desirable result. Unless of course you like eating epoxy.

Irish Whiskey Sour Jell-O
    green, for St. Patrick's Day

Two small boxes of Nabisco "Royal"-brand gelatine, Lemon-Lime flavor.
    *OR* one small Lemon Jell-O and one small Lime Jell-O.
    2 cups boiling water
    1 1/2 cups cold water
    1/2 cup Irish Whiskey
    Combine in the usual way...

Jovian Sunspot Jell-O
    (Mother's Day Special)
    Explanation: A "Jovian Sunspot" is a mixed drink, available on the space station Babylon-5. It appears in certain episodes of the tv show "Babylon 5." The "Mother's Day" part comes from the initials of the ingredients I decided to use.

M-Mango Jell-O, large box
    O-Orange Jell-O, small box
    T-Triple Sec, 1/2 cup
    H-Honeydew Melon Liqueur (such as Midori), 1/2 cup
    E-Evan Williams or Early Times Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, 1/2 cup
    R-Raspberry Jello, small box
    Dissolve the Orange and Raspberry Jell-O in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Add 1/2 cup Honeydew liqueur and 1/2 cup Triple Sec, and 1 cup of cold water. Let cool to room temperature. Get a bunch of 1-oz. plastic cups, and pour into individual cups - you'll need about 40-60 of them. (If you fill them up, you'll need 40 of them, otherwise you'll need more.) Chill until firm.

Dissolve the Mango Jell-O in 2 cups of boiling water. Add 1 1/2 cup cold water, and 1/2 cup Evan Williams or Early Times whiskey or equivalent. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Get a bowl of warm water, and a whole bunch of 2-oz. plastic cups. Use the warm water to loosen the 1-ouncers; you put the cup of Jell-O in for 10 seconds or so, until it pops out when you try to thump it into the larger cup.

Put the little Jell-Os in the bigger cups, one each, and pour the Mango Whisky Jell-O into them. Ponder how Mango Whisky Jell-O sounds like it should be part of a call sign. ("Mango Whisky Jell-O Sigma Nine Five Seven, you're clear for Bravo Five...") Let the Jell-O set.

You might run out of the Mango Whisky Jell-O, in which case make up another batch. Or save the leftover sunspots for some other purpose.

Chill until firm. Put 2-ounce lids on cups for transport.

Lemon Drop Jiggle Shots
    Two small boxes (or one large) lemon Jell-O
    One cup boiling water
    One-half cup Vodka
    [Optional: Add another 1-2 cups of cold water if you don't like your Jell-O Shots this stiff. -hazel]

Mainland Mai Tai Jell-O
    Mixed Fruit Jell-O or "Tropical Punch" jell-o, small box.
    1 cup boiling water
    3/4 cup cold water
    1/4 cup dark rum (approx 80 proof).
    Rum = 1/8 of volume.

Honolulu Mai Tai Jell-O
    Mixed Fruit Jell-O or "Tropical Punch" jell-o, small box.
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup Dark Rum
    1/4 Light Rum
    1/4 cup pineapple juice (canned, don't use fresh-squeezed)
    Aloha Chaz,

Ran across your homepage on jello shots and tried a variety of them the last two weekends at separate parties. They were a smash. I downloaded them and used my dtp to make pages for my personal bar book. This is a great page, I've already made several referrals. In particular, the mai tai combination with the cold water substitute of half dark rum, a fourth regular rum and a fourth pineapple juice turned out great. Oh, a tip on transporting them: I used a giant visionware bowl and stacked paper plates between layers. Worked out well.

Baden's World-Famous Margarita Jell-O Recipe.
    I would very much like to hear your comments about this (or any other) recipe. If you're from another country, please drop me a line.

Lime Jell-O, large box or two small boxes
    2 cups boiling water
    1 cup cold water
    1/2 cup Tequila
    1/4 cup Triple Sec
    For more comments and info on substitutions, select the Margarita Jell-O Recipe item. For a handful of cards with the recipe on it, send a SASE to C.M.J. Baden, P.O. Box 17522, Anaheim CA 92817-7522. In any of these cases, please explain as precisely as possible how you happened to hear about the Margarita Jell-O.

See also Blue Margarita Jell-O as well as the notes below.

Notes from people who've tried the Margarita Jell-O recipe (and made variations on it). Including Margarita Knox-Blox (Jigglers).

...By the way, we made the Margarita Jell-O using 1800 and Grand Marnier ... it is quite good, and easy to consume more than one should, but that's part of the fun.

...The party was a smash. We had orange, fruit punch, lime, and blue berry flavored jello mixed with 75% water, and 25% rum. I bumped the 25% a bit here and there to give one color/flavor a little punch.

By the way: I don't remember if you mention this in your Margarita Recipe, but Jose Cuervo's Gold (or any "gold" tequilla) is not a good choice in that it changes the of the mix to a rather ugly olive. So stick with the clear is my advice!

I don't particularily like jello, but I *do* like tequilla and I still want to try it. Maybe this summer. Interestingly, I noticed at the Jimmy Buffett concert in Detroit last summer, the gate keepers were not allowing people to take in any jello. Guess they heard about your receipe too.

Retherford's Margarita Jell-O Shots v1.0
    Lime Jell-O, large box or two small boxes
    2 cups boiling water
    7/8 cup cold water
    3/4 cup Tequila
    1/4 cup Triple Sec
    1/8 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
    ...I "improvised" on your recipe, replacing some of the cold water with fresh-squeezed lime juice and MORE TEQUILA!

I replaced about 3/8 cup of cold water with a quarter cup of cold tequila--well, room temperature--and 1/8 cup of fresh-squeezed lime juice. Next time I'll probably add another 1/8 cup of lime juice...and (to be brutally honest here about my tequila-pouring proclivities) probably lean on the tequila a bit more heavily too. Looking for stronger and more tart. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Berg's Margarita Knox Blox
    Large box of Lime Jell-O powder,
    1 packet of Knox Unflavored Dry Gelatine,
    2 cups boiling Water,
    1 cup cold water,
    1/4 cup Rose's Lime Juice,
    1/2 cup Tequila,
    1/4 cup Cointreau.
    I used everything in your recipe except for 1/4 cup of the cold water. Following the standard "Knox Blox" recipe, I added 4 packages of Knox unflavored gelatin to the hot lime Jell-O mixture. Then I added the 1/4 cup of Rose's and the cold water. ... Oops. One more thing. I used Cointreau instead of Triple Sec. Same as I do in my Margaritas.

... The Margarita Knox-blox ... re-liquified in the cooler while my companions and I were lounging on the beach for the afternoon prior to the show. I thought that once jello had set it stayed more or less solid. I was wrong. Next year I'll add ice to the cooler. My companions, who each had a block on the road, said they were excellent. ... If you try it drop me a line and let me know what you think. (BTW: The re-liquified mixture has since been re-solidified in my 'fridge and will be sprung on the unsuspecting members at a yacht club BBQ I'm attending this Saturday. Waste not, want not.)

My doubloon's worth. Fins up, High!

[How was the result when you chilled it? -hazel]

... Yummy and firm enough to be eaten with our fingers.

I tried the infamous "Margarita Jell-O" this weeked while watching JB's cameo appearance in Rancho Deluxe. Although I don't really care for the lime flavored jello, it made for a good recipe. I made the recipe into finger jello and added a dash of salt to the top of each piece. This made it more enjoyable to nibble on. I am anxious to try other flavors. I have watermelon and strawberry waiting for me to try. Keep up the good ideas.

Dugan's Melon Ball Jell-O recipe v1.0
    Orange Jell-O gelatine mix, 1 large box (4 cup size) or two small boxes (2 cup/400-500 ml size)
    3 1/2 cups (700-750 ml) water
    1/4 cup (50-60 ml) Vodka
    1/4 cup (50-60 ml) Midori melon liqueur
    Boil the water. (If using american jell-o, you can get away with only boiling half of it and adding the rest of the water later.) Put the dry powder (or block) into a large bowl and pour the boiling water over it; stir until dissolved, about 2 minutes.

Add the liquor (and the rest of the water, if you didn't boil all of it). Stir it all up, and let it cool to room temperature; then chill until firm.

Serving suggestion: pour it into Dixie Cups (3 oz. bathroom size) and chill the individual servings. You can arrange 16 of them in a 9" square fudge pan. [Well, I usually use the pan for fudge, anyway.]

Melonhol (Melonholic, Meloncoholic) Jell-O
    Watermelon Jell-O, 2 cup size.
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 cup Melon Liqueur (approx 42 proof, recommend using Midori brand). Melon liqueur = 1/4 of volume.
    I have tried this with Midori liqueur, and regular Watermelon Jell-O. I have also tried this with Gaetano brand Melon Liqueur, and sugar-free Watermelon Jell-O. The former was a pleasing amber color with a good flavor; the latter was kind of brown and I didn't like it as much. I suspect the choice of booze had the greatest impact on the results.

Orange Pina Colada Jell-O
    Orange-Pineapple Jell-O, small box
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/4 Light Rum
    1/4 cup Coco Lopez or Coco Casa cream of coconut
    Prepare in the usual way.

Party Animal Punch Jell-O
    Large box of Cranberry-Strawberry Jell-O
    2 cups boiling water
    1/2 cup Peach Schnapps
    1/2 cup Triple Sec
    1/2 cup Melon Liqueur
    1/2 cup cold water
    Mix the usual way. Note: liqueurs used are 30-42 proof.

I made this for a furry new year's eve party. I didn't have enough Peach Schnapps, nor any Peach Jell-O, to make Fuzzy Navels #1 (which I thought would be perfect for furry fans.) So I improvised this combination.

Scary Yellow Pina Colada Jell-O #1
    Pineapple Jell-O, large box (4 cup size)
    2 cup boiling water
    1 1/3 cup cold water
    2/3 cup Coconut-flavored Rum (such as Malibu or Coco-Rhum)
    Or: 2 cup boiling, 1 cup cold, 1 cup coconut rum for stronger "shots")
    Mix up the jello, dissolving the powder with the boiling water and stirring until dissolved. Add the rest of the liquids (cold water etc.) and stir, chill until firm, serve. Optional: cool to room temperature and pour into individual serving cups.

... I tried your first draft of the Pina Colada jello (Malibu coconut rum), but I used 1 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup cold water, and 1/2 cup of the flavored rum (the Jell-O seemed so strongly pineapple that I thought it would need more coconut, not to mention the benefit of the added alcohol).

... The result tasted excellent, but the color was a scary bright yellow, not the smooth white one would normally hope for in a well-made Pina Colada. Too bad the Jell-O people feel the need to color their product so brightly.

[Did you ever notice that the commercially-available Colada mixes have non-dairy creamer in them? Perhaps a little Mocha Mix or something in the jello would help to make it more opaque and white. Or if you want "natural" ingredients, maybe flour, cornstarch, or non-fat instant milk... but the non-dairy creamers have been deliberately formulated to add whiteness, so they might be the most effective in the smallest quantities. -hazel]

... I think the flavor might be even better with the Coco Lopez and good rum, rather than the Malibu. How far do you think people are willing to go with this: unflavored (colorless) gelatin, pineapple juice (or pureed pineapple), Coco Lopez, rum, etc? People in my office have already suggested, "if you're going to all that work, why not just make the drink?" I don't think they get the point.

... BTW, you might want to warn people that the taste of the alcoholic jellos is deceiving. There can be lots of drink in a tray of jello, but you don't really taste it going down. Once the jello melts in your gut, though, massive (and potentially hazardous) quantities of Tequila, Rum, etc. can be released. The same office mate says he read of some college kids dying from eating jello made with pure grain alcohol INSTEAD of water. Yikes.

[You've hit on the reason that I (a) only recommend 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of booze, and (b) suggest that they be decanted into individual servings. The Dixie Cups (3-oz. bathroom size) work well for that. -hazel]

Pina Colada Jell-O #2
    Pineapple Jell-O, large box (4 cup size)
    2 cup boiling water
    1 cup cold water
    1/2 cup Light Rum
    1/2 cup Coco Lopez or Coco Casa cream of coconut
    Mix up the jello, dissolving the powder with the boiling water and stirring until dissolved. Add the rest of the liquids (cold water etc.) and stir, chill until firm, serve. Optional: cool to room temperature and pour into individual serving cups.

... Loved the Pina Colada Jell-O. Followed your instructions to the letter for the large package of Pineapple Jell-O (with your additions). The color was a pale yellow, with sort of a "frosted yellow surface". The taste was a little sweeter than the drink but it was definitely a Pina Colada. Disappeared rather quickly. (Was gone by morning) :) Enjoyed to the max. Thanks again.

... Tried the pina colada shooters out for a party this weekend, and they were a hit!!! Also made berry colada shooters by substituting Triple Berry Jell-O (strawberry, raspberry and blueberry mixed) jello for pineapple. They were equally well received. ... With the berry colada I just replaced the pineapple jello with the mixed berry jello all other proportions the same. I got the recipe off the line from you (THANKS) and gave you credit all night long for coming up with the recipe. I guess you can say it was beta tested by about 30 people who all approved both versions.

If I remember correctly (the recipe is at home) I used 1/4 cup light rum, 1/4 cup Coco Lopez, 1/2 cup cold water, 1 cup boiling water, and small jello mix. I could only find sugar free jello in pineapple but no one noticed it was sugar free.

I have a friend who is a coconut rum freak and I plan on borrowing some from her soon to try making it that way. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Schall's Real Pina Colada Gelatine #3
    "If one lives in an impoverished city like New Orleans, pineapple Jello may be difficult to find. As an alternative, I made real coladas and gelatinized them. They came out great and were very popular during Mardi Gras this year."

1 cup rum
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    2 1/4 cups pineapple juice
    4 envelopes (1 little box) unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup sugar
    Start by mixing and heating fruit juices to a simmer. Pour rum (at room temp.) into a large bowl, and sprinkle gelatin over rum avoiding clumps. Let sit a minute, then add hot fruit juice while stirring with a fork (a beater makes it too fuffy). Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Chill to set.

Dustman's Pineapple-Orange Rum Jell-O
    Orange-Pineapple Jell-O, 1 large box (4 cup size) or 2 small boxes (2 cup size)
    3.5 cups water (half or more of it boiling)
    1/2 cup dark rum
    Bought some various jello flavors last night but didn't make it to the liqour store, so I had to just try something with what I had in the cabinet. I used to drink pineapple juice or pineapple-orange juice with dark rum in it, so I had rum and pineapple-orange flavor jello so I tried it out. Very tasty, might I say so myself? I used 1/2 cup rum substituted for water for a large box of jello as one of your posts suggested.

Purple Passion Jiggle Shots
    Two small boxes (or one large) grape Jell-O
    One cup boiling water
    One-half cup Amaretto
    Dash of Vodka (either a shots-worth or a tablespoon would do)

"Please include... a warning about the strength of these things and a notice to consume them cautiously."

watson1880 likes this.
  4. snorton938

i could not be more honored than to post a margarita recipe from this guy......

Jimmy Buffett's Perfect Margarita
    Source: Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurants

Crushed ice
    3 wedges lime
    2 ounces gold tequila (Cuervo 1800)
    1/2 ounce tequila (Cuervo white)
    1 1/4 ounces Rose's Lime Juice
    1/2 ounce triple sec (Bols)
    1 splash orange Curaçao (Bols)

Put all ingredients except the 3 lime wedges into a shaker. Squeeze 2 of the lime wedges into the shaker. SHAKE WELL! Rim outside of glass only with lime. Salt only the outside of the glass. Add fresh crushed ice to glass. Strain mixture over ice. Squeeze remaining lime wedge in glass.

5. snorton938

hey, when you think florida you've got to think oranges and gator (and it ain't that team up in gainsville either)........

Orange Pound Cake
    1 pound butter (do not substitute maragarine or shortening)
    1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
    2 tablespoons grated orange rind
    6 large eggs
    3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (sift before measuring)
    1/2 teaspoon mace
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup Florida orange juice

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add sifted sugar and rind. Cream thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Combine the dry ingredients. Sift. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Add orange juice and combine thoroughly. Turn into buttered and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn into wire rack and cool thoroughly. Serve with a nice dollop of orange marmalade or spread with sour cream.

Gator Bites .... you could feed some of these to your pet tiger. :D
    3/4 all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups cold water
    2/3 cups cornmeal
    3 Florida green onions, finely chopped
    2 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
    2 pounds Florida 'gator meat, cut in chunks
    Oil for frying

Combine first 4 ingredients; slowly add water, mixing well. Set aside. Combine cornmeal, onions and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Mix well and set aside. Dip meat in flour mixture, let excess drain off then coat with cornmeal mixture and deep-fry in hot oil (375 F) for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

and this writer does indeed capture the main essentials of good florida food.....

10 Florida Food Experiences
    (not to be missed)
    By Lisa Codianne Fowler

Florida's melting pot of cultures has resulted in a festive hybrid cuisine termed "Floribbean," where Caribbean and Latin American flavors mingle with classic American and European traditions. Stir in plenty of fresh Florida produce and specialties of the sea, and you have all the ingredients for this distinctive culinary style. Make plans to dine at sunset while sampling our savory sensations -- there's nothing like a water view to whet your appetite. Many restaurants offer dining al fresco and range from Jimmy Buffet casual to Florida chic.

Check out what's cooking. Bon appetit!

Citrus

Plump, juicy palate pleasers, Florida's oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons and limes also make a tangy seafood sauce, salsa with a kick and mouth-watering ice cream. Orange ya anxious to try some?

Stone Crab Claws

Get cracking and try this seasonal delicacy, available from October through May. Florida's stone crabs are declawed and returned safely to sea, where they regrow their claws.

Florida Lobster

This warm water crustacean is also called spiny or rock lobster. Unlike its New England counterpart, it has no claws, so most of its succulent meat is in the tail.

Grouper

You'll get hooked on this firm, white fish, delicious broiled, blackened or fried in strips called grouper fingers. And don't get caught without trying the popular grouper sandwich.

Key Lime Pie

This famous favorite is made from a tiny yellow variety of limes grown primarily in The Florida Keys, giving it that Florida sunshine and tropical breeze taste.

Mahi Mahi

Also known as dorado or dolphin (not to be confused with the porpoise), mahi mahi is a lean, sweet fish. You'll flip over it seared, baked or broiled.

Cuban Sandwich

A hearty immigrant, made with sliced pork, ham, Swiss cheese and pickles in buttered Cuban bread, then heated and flattened with a sandwich press.

Apalachicola Oysters

From Florida's panhandle come delectable oysters. But shucks, don't be shellfish. Share them on the half-shell, fried, grilled or in stew or seafood gumbo.

Gulf Shrimp

Our Gulf of Mexico shrimp is tender, sweet, and oh so a-peeling. Shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi, coconut-crusted or tequila lime shrimp, you'll find it served however you like.

Beef

Yes, beef! Florida is the second largest cattle producing state in the country, and the perfect place to find the best "Cheeseburger in Paradise."

6. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

I'm off to San Francisco for the Week-end (I know I'm missing the Spring Game) but I will post an awesome Seared Grouper w/ Mango, Tomato, & Lime Salsa recipie.

7. snorton938

these are florida indian burgers which closely resemble the fried goodies served at the jazz fest in new orleans (great minds think alike): :D

INDIAN BURGERS

Indian Burgers are a kind of fried meat pie. The dough is same as that used for fry bread in this region--self-rising flour and water. Usually, the meat filling is ground beef cooked with onion, and salt and pepper, but chili powder or other seasonings may be added. The deep fried "burger" is cut open on top and ketchup and other condiments spooned in. Serve with a side of cole slaw.

1 pound ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
    Water
    Salt and ground pepper to taste
    4 cups self-rising flour plus 1 to 2 cups for kneading
    Oil or shortening for deep frying
    In a large skillet combine beef, onion, and about 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Drain off excess liquid and season beef mixture with salt and pepper. Allow mixture to cool while preparing the dough.

Place 4 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and pour in 1-1/2 cups water. Gradually mix the flour into the water to make a soft, sticky dough. Scrape dough onto a well-floured work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes. Divide dough into 8 portions and,with floured hands, roll each portion into a smooth ball. Flatten the balls into rounds about 5 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick.

Place about 1/3 cup of beef mixture in the middle of a fry bread round. Gently lift the edges of dough and pinch and seal overlapping dough to enclose the meat filling. Deep-fry at 350 F. for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

watson1880 likes this.
  8. snorton938

the following recipes aren't necessarily associated with the florida keys but are general ones for the state itself. they are easy to prepare and capture the essence of the state's diversity. so here they are:

Arroz Con Pollo
    1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut in serving pieces
    2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes, diced, drained
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth
    8 saffron threads
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and the paprika; brown lightly in hot olive oil on both sides. Remove chicken; set aside. Sauté onion, red pepper, and tomato until onion is almost transparent. Add garlic and sauté another minute or two. Add rice and pepper sauce. Sauté and stir until the rice is opaque and coated with the fat. Add broth and bring to a boil; crumble saffron into the mixture. Top rice with chicken pieces; cover tightly and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice and chicken are done. Fluff rice and sprinkle with the peas. Cover and simmer about 6 to 8 minutes longer. Taste and add more salt, if necessary. Serve hot.
    Serves 4.

banana bites they have little finger banana plants all over florida.
    The Florida Cookbook - Jeanne Voltz & Caroline Stuart
    Knopf

vegetable oil, for frying
    1 cup all-purpose flour, plus flour for dusting
    3/4 cup beer, or more
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 to 4 bananas, cut in 1/2-inch slices
    1/2 cup shredded coconut or frozen unsweetened coconut
    confectioners; sugar for dusting
    Preheat 3 or 4 pieces of oil in a deep-fat fryer to 350°. Combine 1 cup of the flour, the beer, baking powder, and salt. Dust the banana slices with the remaining flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the slices into the batter, then roll them in the coconut. Fry 3 or 4 banana slices at a time until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Skim out the fritters and drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
    Serves 3 to 4.

Black Bean and Rice Salad
    1 can (15 ounce) black beans, well drained
    2 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
    1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    2 to 3 green onions, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    14 teaspoon ground black pepper
    fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish, if desired
    Combine beans with rice, green pepper, tomato, and green onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, mustard, sugar, cumin, and pepper. Add dressing to beans and rice and stir gently (crushing the beans will discolor the salad) to coat. Garnish with parsley or cilantro and serve chilled.
    Serves 6.

Double-Crust Guava Pie
    The Florida Cookbook
    Jeanne Voltz & Caroline Stuart
    Knopf

3 tablespoons flour
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt Pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie
    4 cups seeded and sliced guavas
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    3 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
    Preheat the oven to 450°. Mix together the flour, sugar, and salt and set aside. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry and add the guavas, slightly mounding them in the center. Pour the flour mixture evenly over the guavas. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and dot with butter. Cover with the top pastry. Cut several slashes in the top for steam to escape. Bake 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350° and bake 30 to 40 minutes longer.

Florida Conch Chowder
    Eating Southern Style - Terry Thompson
    HPBooks

6 ounces salt pork, rind removed, diced
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
    1 jar (7-oz) pimientos, drained, chopped
    3 large tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs total), peeled, seeded, chopped
    3 medium garlic cloves, minced
    2 celery stalks (including leafy tops), chopped
    2 large russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs total), peeled, diced
    2 tablespoons minced parsley, preferably flat-leaf
    3 pounds conch meat, ground
    1 cup dry white wine
    10 cups seafood stock, or bottled clam juice
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    salt, to taste
    chopped green onions (including tops)
    cook salt pork in a heavy 6-quart pot over medium heat until all fat is rendered (about 20 minutes); leave remaining crisp bits of meat in pot. Add onion, bell pepper, pimientos, tomatoes, garlic, celery, potatoes and parsley. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are slightly wilted and onion is transparent (about 8 minutes). Add conch, wine, stock, black pepper, Tabasco sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes have disintegrated and thickened soup (about 1 1/2 hours). Serve hot, garnished with a sprinkling of green onions.
    Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Gazpacho
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    3 cups tomato juice
    1/4 cup dry white wine or sherry
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 to 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
    salt, to taste
    4 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt, for garnish
    4 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
    In an electric blender, combine first 10 ingredients; blend until juicy but still chunky. Season with lemon or lime juice and salt, to taste.

Thoroughly chill before serving. Serve garnished with sour cream and parsley sprigs, if desired.
    Serves 4.

Gulf Shrimp Divine
    Suncoast Seasons
    Dunedin Youth Guild, Inc., Dunedin, FL

2/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 cup blanched slivered almonds
    dash of hot pepper sauce
    1/2 cup dry vermouth
    Make marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings. Marinate shrimp for at least 2 hours. Melt butter in large skillet; add garlic and shrimp. Reserve marinade. Stir-fry shrimp over medium heat until pink. Discard garlic; remove shrimp to a hot platter. Sauté slivered almonds in butter until brown; add marinade, hot pepper sauce and vermouth. When well blended, pour sauce over shrimp. Serve over saffron rice mixed with chopped chives or finely chopped green onions.

Low Country Chicken Pilau
    (with variations for Minorcan Chicken Pilau)
    The Florida Cookbook - Jeanne Voltz & Caroline Stuart
    Knopf

3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    1 (3-pound) chicken, cut up
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 ounces salt pork or country-smoked ham, diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
    1 rib celery, diced
    2 cups long-grain rice
    1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
    1 cup whole tomatoes (or 1 cup fresh, peeled and chopped)
    1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven, add the chicken, and brown lightly. Push the chicken to the side, add half of the onions to the drippings, and sauté a minute or two. Rearrange the chicken evenly, add 1 cup of the broth, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove chicken and pour the pan juices into a 2-cup measure. When cool, skin the bird, remove the meat from the bone in large pieces, and set aside.
    In a large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the salt pork or ham. Sauté until the pork bits are lightly browned. Add the remaining onion, green pepper, and celery. Sauté until the onion is tender. Add the rice and sauté, stirring, until it looks opaque. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Pour enough chicken broth into the measure with the pan juices to make 2 cups and add along with the tomatoes to the vegetables. Cover and simmer 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Mix the chicken lightly into the rice; heat 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Turn onto a platter, arrange sliced egg around the edge, and sprinkle with parsley.
    Serves 4.

Serves 6 to 8.

Orange-Cranberry Pork Chops
    Southern Living 1987 Southern Recipes
    Oxmoor

6 pork chops (3/4-inch thick)
    1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
    2 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons grated orange rind
    2 cups orange sections, including juice
    2 cups fresh cranberries
    hot cooked rice
    Trim fat from pork chops; brown chops in shortening in a large skillet. Drain, if necessary. Add water and salt; cover and cook over medium heat 45 to 50 minutes or until chops are done.
    Add sugar, corn syrup, orange rind, orange sections, and cranberries, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
    Serves 6.

Peggy Hartman's Sour Orange Pie
    The County Fair Cookbook Hyperion

Peggy Hartman, secretary of the citrus County Extension Service, explains sour oranges: "If the buds freeze, the tree reverts and produces only sour oranges. They're real tangy--but only good for cooking. If you can't find sour oranges, use a combination of regular oranges and lemons."

1 cup granulated sugar
    5 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons grated sour orange peel, or 1 teaspoon each grated lemon and orange peel
    1 1/2 cups fresh sour orange juice, strained, or 1 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup lemon juice
    4 egg yolks, beaten
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    9-inch baked pastry shell
    Meringue:
    4 egg whites
    1 teaspoon sour orange or lemon juice
    1/2 cup superfine sugar
    Whisk together half the granulated sugar, the cornstarch and the salt. Add the water, grated peel and juice, and whisk until smooth. In a saucepan, bring the mixture to the boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from the heat.
    With an electric mixer, beat together the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and the egg yolks until light in color. Beat in 1/2 cup of the hot sugar-juice mixture, and add all of the yolk mixture to the contents of the saucepan. Stir over moderate heat until thick. Take care that the mixture does not boil. Remove from heat, stir in butter, and pour the filling into the pie shell. Let cool. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, make the meringue topping. Beat the egg whites and the teaspoon of juice to soft peaks. Gradually beat in the superfine sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and all the sugar has dissolved. (Test with your fingers.) Spread the meringue over the filling, touching the edge of the pie shell. This will prevent shrinkage.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown. Cool thoroughly before serving.

Red Snapper "Alicante"
    Suncoast Seasons
    Dunedin Youth Guild, Inc., Dunedin, FL

2 to 3 large Spanish onions, sliced into rings
    2 pounds Red Snapper fillets
    4 green peppers, sliced into rings
    1/2 cup Spanish olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    3/4 cup brown beef stock gravy
    1 cup white Spanish wine
    1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
    Garnish recipe below (optional)
    Place onion rings in bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole; place fish on top of onions. Place pepper rings on top of fish. In a bowl mix together remaining ingredients; pour over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.
    Serves 4.
    Garnish:

1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
    8 large shrimp, cooked and cleaned
    9 pieces eggplant, breaded and fried
    fresh parsley sprigs
    Source: The Columbia Restaurant
    Tampa, FL

cool drink and shot recipes. gives you an idea of what we do on the beach. if we can even remember going to the beach (yow!):

Sex With An Alligator

I am not sure where this drink originated, but it is a very popular shooter in Florida. It is a takeoff of the popular cocktail, Sex on the Beach and is just as tasty and fruity. This is aptly named as it will bite like an alligator or have you wondering just what you did while drinking them last night. The Jagermeister gives it just a little snap without the full Jagermeister flavor.

Equal parts of Midori, Malibu rum and Pineapple juice
    Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass
    Drop a drizzle of Chambord & let fall to the bottom of the glass
    Float a thin layer of Jagermeister on top

Orange Blossom

1 1/4 oz. Gin, Orange Juice

Pour over ice in a Highball glass

Windsurfer

Equal parts of; Kahlua, Triple Sec, Yukon Jack

Layer in a Pony or Shot glass

Yellow Parrot

3/4 oz. each; Apricot Brandy, Anisette, Yellow Chartreuse

Stir with ice & strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Sex On The Beach

Recipe

1 oz. Vodka
    3/4 oz. each: Chambord & Peach Schnapps
    Splashes of Pineapple, Orange and Cranberry juices
    Shake with ice & serve in a Collins or decorative glass

Key Lime Pie

1 1/2 oz. Licor 43, Splash of Lime juice & Cream

Shake with ice, Strain into a Pony or Shot glass

Key Largo

3/4 oz. Campari, 1/4 oz. Triple Sec, Splash of Grapefruit juice & Soda

Build in a Highball glass, Top with splash of Soda

Flamingo Cocktail

1 1/4 oz. Gin, 1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy, Splash of Lime juice, Dash of Grenadine

Shake with ice, Strain into a chilled cocktail glass

Blue Lagoon

1 oz. Malibu Rum, 1/2 oz. Blue Curacao, Pineapple juice

Pour Rum & Pineapple juice over ice in Highball or Collins glass, Float Blue Curacao

Bikini Line

Equal parts of: Vodka, Tia Maria, & Chambord

Layer into a Pony or Shot glass

Beach Blanket Bingo

Equal parts of Cranberry & Grapefruit juice, Splash of Soda

Stir juices over ice in a Collins glass, top with soda, Garnish with a Lime wedge

Seabreeze

1 1/4 oz. Vodka, Grapefruit Juice, Cranberry Juice

Serve over ice in Highball glass

Orange Crush

Equal parts of: Vodka, Triple Sec & Orange juice

Shake with ice and Strain into a Shot glass

Lime Freeze

2 Scoops of Ice cream, 3 oz. Lime juice

Blend until smooth, Garnish with a lime wedge

Lime Cooler

Splash of Lime juice, Tonic

Serve over ice in a tall glass, Garnish with a lime wedge

Key Wasted

1 oz. Mt Gay Rum, 1/4 oz. Cointreau, Juice from 1/2 fresh Lime, Dash of Roses Lime juice

Shake with ice, Strain into a chilled cocktail or large Shot glass

Hurricane yeah, we got 'em here too....still better in new orleans

3/4 oz. each: Rum, Dark Rum, Apricot Brandy, Splash Grenadine, Sour Mix

Shake with ice, Serve in a Hurricane glass, Garnish with a Flag

watson1880 likes this.
  9. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Uncle Gus

I'm off to San Francisco too. I'm leaving Saturday morning for about 5 days.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Well look what I found at trusty ole TF. I don't like blended gazpacho so I'm not making it like this, and I think I have more stuff to go into it.