recipes of the day 04/30/04......comfort foods.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 29, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

all american grilled cheese sandwich

Servings: 4

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
    8 slices hearty white bread
    8 slices (1/4 pound) American cheese
    16 slices crisp, cooked bacon
    8 slices (1/4 pound) Colby cheese

Spread butter evenly on one side of each piece of bread. Distribute American cheese slices and bacon equally over 4 slices of bread on the side without butter. Place Colby cheese slices over the bacon, and top with the remaining slices of bread, butter-side out.

Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Cook sandwiches, in batches if necessary, for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden and the cheeses are melted. Serve immediately.

and if you want more yummy cheese recipes, here is the king's link for i love cheese.com:

http://www.ilovecheese.com/default.htm

2. snorton938

here's the burgers:

Aussie Works Burger
    Submitted by: SuzAnne

"My Australian husband first made these burgers a few weeks after arriving in the USA. They became a hit with our family. They're a bit messy but delicious. Hunger busting burgers topped with every topping imaginable. Wrap your laughing gear around that. Stretch! Crikey! It's a meal in one go."
    Yields 4 hunger-busting burgers.

1 pound ground beef
    1 large onion, sliced
    4 eggs
    4 slices Canadian bacon
    4 pineapple rings
    4 slices Cheddar cheese
    1 (8.25 ounce) can sliced beets, drained
    4 slices tomato
    4 lettuce leaves
    ketchup (optional)
    yellow mustard (optional)
    dill pickle relish (optional)
    mayonnaise (optional)
    4 Kaiser rolls, split

1 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
    2 When the grill is ready, lightly oil the grilling surface. Form the ground beef into four patties, and grill for 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
    3 Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and fry until soft. Remove the onions from the skillet, and crack the eggs in the same skillet over medium heat. Cook until the yolks are solid, turning over once. Remove eggs, and set aside. Place the Canadian bacon in the same skillet, and fry until toasted. Remove the bacon, and turn the heat to high. Quickly fry the pineapple rings in the bacon drippings just until browned on each side.
    4 To Assemble sandwiches: Set bottom of kaiser roll on a plate, and top with burger, a slice of cheese, a slice of Canadian bacon, one fried egg, fried onions, a few slices of beet, a slice of pineapple, a slice of tomato, and a leaf of lettuce. Decorate the top bun with ketchup, mustard, relish and mayonnaise as desired. Place over the burger. Repeat with remaining burgers.

Makes 4 servings

Barbequed Hamburgers
    Submitted by: Paula

"This is an heirloom recipe from my grandmother. We used to beg my mom to make these. Not intended to be placed on a grill, they are best served over rice with a nice green salad."
    Yields 8 servings.

1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    4 teaspoons granulated sugar
    2/3 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef, oats, milk, 2 tablespoons minced onion, salt, and pepper. Let stand for a few minutes until milk is absorbed, and shape into 8 patties.
    2 In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, and 1/4 cup chopped onion; set aside.
    3 Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and fry the patties until brown on both sides. Pour the sauce in with the patties, and reduce heat. Continue cooking about 15 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

Blue Cheese Burgers
    Submitted by: Poni

"Hamburgers? Yes. But basic fare? Definitely not! What a treat they are, and the wise cook will make up a dozen or so for the freezer. If you like blue cheese, you'll never forget these burgers."
    Yields 12 servings.

3 pounds lean ground beef
    4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
    1/2 cup minced fresh chives
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    12 French rolls or hamburger buns

1 In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, and mustard. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
    2 Preheat grill for high heat.
    3 Oil the grill grate. Gently form the meat mixture into about 12 patties. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, until well done. Serve on rolls.

Makes 12 servings

Game Day Hamburgers
    Submitted by: Andy Alcorn

"These are seasoned and stuffed hamburgers with a taste of potato and cheese. Serve on buns with condiments of choice."
    Yields 6 servings.

1 large potato, peeled and shredded
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix

1 Preheat grill for high heat.
    2 In a medium bowl, mix together potato, cheese, and mushrooms.
    3 In a large bowl, mix ground beef with onion soup mix. Form into large burger patties. Make a pocket in each burger, stuff with potato mixture, and seal.
    4 When ready to grill, brush grate with oil. Cook burgers over high heat for 5 minutes on each side, until well done. Serve hot.

Makes 6 servings

and here are the fries...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Homemade French Fries

The indredients are:
    1 lb Beef fat, cut in small pieces Vegetable oil 1 lb Idaho potatoes Salt
    The recipe yield is:
    1 Servings

method:
    Here are the results of Chicago Tribune Test Kitchen experiments to make the best homemade French Fries: 1. To render liquid fat from beef fat, cook it in a heavy saucepan over low heat, about 40 minutes or more. Discard pieces of fat which are left over. Add an equal part of vegetable oil to beef fat in pan. 2. Cut unpeeled potatoes into long strips about 1/4- 3/8-inch wide. Soak in a large bowl of ice water for about 45 minutes. Arrange on paper towels and carefully pat dry. 3. Heat oil mixture to 365 degrees. Add potatoes in batches so pan isn't crowded. Fry until they begin to look partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove and let oil return to 365 degrees. Return partially cooked fries and continue cooking until they are crisp and golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.
    snort's note: or sprinkle them with whatever seasonings you like. :D :D

the preceding recipe should prevent the following from happening to you (poor poor kimberly.....i do feel your pain :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ):

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:51:17 GMT

I am having a hard time trying to tell if the french fries being served
    everywhere now-a-days have lost some quality that used to make them
    addictive to me....or if I have just outgrown them. I still like the ones my
    mom and I make....twice fried, golden and crisp. But it seems like everytime
    I go ahead and order the fries, they...well, in a word, they suck. Oh, some
    are edible to an extent, I guess. But for the most part, I'm noticing they
    always seem to be "coated" with something, or they have *no* flavor, or they
    are grainy inside instead of fluffy. Is this a new thing? Or are my
    childhood memories of french fry binges with my very best friend being seen
    through those infamous rose colored glasses?

3. snorton938

this could well be the king of the lasagna recipes. i mean this woman has thown in everything but the kitchen sink....

MOM'S BEST LASAGNA
    SERVES 10

This is the best. If you don't mind a little work, and want a great traditional lasagna, you must try it. My mother perfected it years ago and, to this day, when I want this type of lasagna, I use this recipe. One of the advantages of lasagna is that it can be made for a casual dinner, a small party or a large crowd. Be certain to read the Notes and Variations below.

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds uncooked lasagna noodles
    Meat Sauce
    2 slices homemade-style bread
    1/4 cup milk
    2 pounds ground beef (I prefer ground chuck)
    2 eggs
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 tablespoons dried parsley
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 pounds Italian link sausage
    Olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    8 large cloves garlic, minced
    1 large (2 pounds) cans whole tomatoes (preferably no-salt) crushed with juices
    1 large (2 pounds) can tomato sauce (preferably no-salt)
    1 large (15-ounce) can tomato puree
    1-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
    1-1/2 tablespoons dried basil
    4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) dried parsley

Ricotta Cheese Mixture
    2-1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
    1 10-ounce bag frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
    2 extra-large eggs
    Salt and pepper to taste

Additional Ingredients for Assembly
    1-1/2 pounds grated Mozzarella cheese
    1/2 pound freshly grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese

For the Lasagna Noodles: Cook accordng to package directions for al dente. Drain well and drape, as separately as possible, over the pot and colander until ready to use.

For the Sauce: Soak the bread slices in the milk. Squeeze out the excess juice and crumble into coarse pieces, reserving the excess milk. Mix the ground beef with the bread, milk, and next 7 ingredients. Combine very well with hands. Form into 1-1/2 inch balls. Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. When hot, add meatballs and fry until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and place on plate. Cut sausage into approximately 2-inch lengths. Add to hot pan. Fry until browned on all sides. Remove to plate.

In a large sauté pan, stock pot or Dutch oven, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato puree and remaining sauce seasonings. Simmer over low heat approximately 5 minutes. Remove enough of the sauce and place in the meat fry pan to deglaze; return to the sauce pot. Place the meatballs and sausage in the sauce and continue to cook, partially covered over low or medium-low heat for about 60 minutes. Remove meat from sauce and save for reheating later. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings. Allow to cool before assembly.

To make Ricotta Cheese mixture: If possible, place the ricotta cheese in a large strainer or sifter and allow the moisture to drain for approximately 45 minutes. I do this because I find most brands contain more moisture than years ago. Discard the liquids and place cheese in large bowl; add eggs, spinach, seasonings and stir until well-combined.

To assemble: Layer ingredients in a large lasagna pan (you might need two pans depending on size) in the following order: sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and Parmesan/Romano. The last layers should be noodles and sauce.

Baking and Serving: Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover lasagna tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Meanwhile, reheat the meat in the leftover sauce. To serve, cut the lasagna into serving-size squares. Place the meat in a serving bowl and the extra sauce in a gravy boat or bowl. Pass extra grated cheese.

Notes: If you have read my recipes and tips, you know that I suggest using freshly grated, good-quality, Parmesan Reggiano cheese. Admittedly, in meatballs or meatloaf and similar recipes, I sometimes use a good-quality processed variety. However, always...always serve freshly grated for garnish and, in my recipes, try the fresh where suggested. This entire recipe can easily be doubled (using extra pans) or halved. Unused portions can be frozen. Additionally, the uncooked, assembled lasagna can be frozen and baked for another occasion.

Variation: For vegetarians, simply omit the meats. It is every bit as good.

4. snorton938

mac and cheese contests are becoming more like cornbread baking contests. the goal seems to be how much stuff you can throw in. well here is a mac and cheese award winner (and the word "light" has no business being anywhere near this thing):

Lauriedale’s Macaroni Delight

2 cups Mission elbow sized macaroni noodles
    2 cups Verdi penne rigate noodles
    2 heaping cups of Tillamook® Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    2 heaping cups of Tillamook® Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    2 heaping cups of Tillamook® Extra Sharp Vintage White Cheddar Cheese
    ¾ cup of grated or dried Parmesan Cheese
    5 TBSP. Tillamook® Butter
    1 ½ cups of Tillamook® Half and Half
    3 TBSP. White Flour
    1 cup Corn Flakes crumbs
    ½ tsp. salt
    ½ tsp. pepper
    Broccoli trees for garnishing
    Pimentos for garnishing
    1 cup of Tillamook® Sharp Cheddar Cheese for topping

Boil the noodles 10 to 12 minutes in 2 ½ quarts of water. Drain well.

Make white sauce by heating the butter until it’s melted. Then add the 3 TBSP. white flour, stirring continually. Begin adding the half and half cream. (You can substitute milk, either 2% or skim) The mixture will thicken while you stir. Be ready with your 6 cups of grated Tillamook® Cheese. Add and stir until all cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper and if you wish a little garlic powder. Pour sauce over the macaroni noodles and stir well. Place in a baking dish and top with the remaining 1cup of Tillamook® Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Sprinkle over that, the cup of corn flakes crumbs. Omit the last step if you do not desire the added "crunchiness" that the corn flakes crumbs add.

Bake until the cheese on top is melted and the topping is crispy. Approximately 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. Top with the broccoli flowerets, pimentos and a sprinkle of your favorite herb. I used just a ¼ tsp of dried onions and chives.

Recipe serves 6 to 8.

Recipe made by Laurie Caspell, Beaver, Oregon. She received the Award of Excellence at the 2004 Taste of Tillamook County.

5. snorton938

now this one looks like a nice, normal meatloaf recipe:

Meatloaf

Ingredients:

2 lb. ground beef
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 cup tomato ketchup
    1 cup oats

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Place the mixture into an ovenproof casserole dish and bake for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and serve.

Makes 4-8 servings

Recipe submitted by Tim Sousa

6. snorton938

pizza....hmmmm.....last time i checked no one out there really liked to make this stuff so here are the best rated frozen pizzas.....

Fresh From the Oven
    Good Housekeeping Rates Best Frozen Pizzas

Dec. 26 — With the holiday feasts behind us, many of us do not feel like cooking another fancy meal, and frozen pizza can be a quick, easy alternative.

Good Housekeeping magazine recently ran a taste test of 46 frozen pies — including cheese, pepperoni, and vegetable varieties — to "separate the gummy from the yummy."
    Here are the results of their test, which the magazine shared with Good Morning America:

Best Pie Overall: DiGiorno Rising Crust Vegetable Pizza earned more first-place votes than any other pie in any category, scoring points for its fresh veggies and thick crust. Olive lovers liked Amy's Veggie Combo Pizza. Both are good nutritional bets, with about 290 calories and 9 grams of fat per slice.

Best Pepperoni Pie: Tony's Super Rise Crust was the pepperoni favorite.

Best Cheese Pie: Three brands tied, with personal taste playing a big role: Extra-cheese lovers gave a thumbs-up to Tombstone Original Extra Cheese, Tony's Original Crust Cheese Pizza scored for its flavorful sauce and Jeno's Crisp 'N Tasty was favored by thin-crust aficionados.

Here are the detailed results of the Good Housekeeping pizza taste tests:

Pepperoni Test:

1) Tony's Super Rise Crust Pepperoni ($4.39) Spicy, meaty, plenty of pepperoni, lowest in sodium. 21 ounces
    2) Red Baron Bake-to-Rise Pepperoni ($5.49) Doughy crust, lowest in fat. 29.45 ounces
    2) DiGiorno Rising Crust Pepperoni ($5.79) Thick crust and ample cheese. 31.5 ounces
    3) Freschetta Pepperoni ($5.99) Spiciest, but not many favored flavor. 28.15 ounces

Veggie Test:

1) DiGiorno Rising Crust Vegetable Pizza ($5.79) Fresh-tasting, plenty of red and green peppers, good crust. 31.5 ounces
    2) Amy's Veggie Combo Pizza ($5.99) Lots of olives and artichokes; crisp, thin crust. 16 ounces
    3) Tony's Original Crust Vegetable Pizza ($2.48) Skimpy on veggies; with carrots. 16.55 ounces
    4) Smart One's Veggie Ultimate ($3) Diet-tasting, but some liked sun-dried tomato and herb crust. 7.69 ounces

Cheese Test:

1) Tombstone Original Extra Cheese ($4.69) The cheesiest, tasters said. 20.5 ounces
    1) Tony's Original Crust Cheese Pizza ($2.48) Flavorful, not-too-spicy sauce. 15.1 ounces
    1) Jeno's Crisp and Tasty ($1.20) Definitely crisp, but divided on tasty. 6.9 ounces
    2) Amy's Cheese Pizza ($4.99) Organic, bland but fresh-tasting sauce. 13 ounces

snort's note: take bengal b's advice and add some extra toppings to these things. suggested ones could be extra cheese, browned ground beef or sausage, jalapeno's, etc.

7. snorton938

one note on rice puddings is not to overbake them or they'll dry out....snort speaks from experience.

The Best Rice Pudding !
    by TGirl,RN)

Left over rice never had it so good ! This creamy pudding is the perfect way to use up the extra white rice from Chinese take-out or from tonight's supper, and delicious enough to make you cook some up fresh, just so you can have this for dessert! Tastes great warm or cold--Enjoy!!

1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 1/2 cups milk, 2% or whole, do not use skim or 1%
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, cornstarch and nutmeg.
    2. Add milk, egg yolks, and vanilla, using wire whisk to beat until smooth.
    3. Add cooked rice, and pour into a 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish--you can also use a 9 x 9 square baking dish, but you'll need to decrease the cooking time by at least 15 minutes, if not more, so check carefully after the first hour.
    4. Place baking dish into larger pan, and pour hot water into outer pan to create a 1 inch deep water bath.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours, or until pudding is creamy and milk is absorbed.

8. snorton938

spaghetti with tomato sauce. here is an excellent write-up that covers this thing from boiling water, cooking the pasta, and what a good sauce should have in it.....written by a little fat italian mom who definitely looks like she knows what she's doing....

Spaghetti & Tomato Sauce recipes
    by Micheline Farrugia (mom) and Mauro Abate (son)

- The pot, the water and the salt
    - When is pasta cooked
    - Removing the hot water
    - The sauce
    - Tips on the oil, salt, basil, and grated cheese

THE POT, THE WATER AND THE SALT

The pot in which you boil the water and cook any pasta must be big enough. Pastas need to boil in plentiful water. This is the first mistake most foreigners do: they put too little water because they think that it is just the same, and so they will save time.
    When should you put salt in the water? Italians don't agree on this point, like on many things about how to cook pasta (and especially the sauce). There are many point of views, and sometimes you have the impression that every Italian has a personal opinion, which is very typical of the Italians in general. On the other hand the Italian cuisine follows a traditional outlook of life and very specific customs, rules and principles. Curious isn't it?
    I (Mauro - son) prefer to put the salt just before the water boils, because if you put it before it makes the pots become brown. Half tablespoon of salt for every 100 gr. of pasta (the usual quantity for one person) should be enough. Then of course you put the pasta (spaghetti or other sort) and you must stir: continuously for the first minute or two, and after every now and then (in Italian: "girare la pasta"). If you don't do it the pasta pieces will stick between them, and to the pot.

WHEN IS PASTA COOKED

Every type of pasta has its cooking time. Generally it is indicated in the package, but don't take it as word of the Bible. The Italians consider the correct procedure that of evaluating when it is "al dente" (literally "to the tooth").
    If you know this expression Italians will have a high opinion of you. If you don't, they will think that you know little about pasta, and remember that the Italians, unlike many other populations, are not nationalists, but there are two things or three about which they believe they are the best and, conversely, about which they think that the others hardly understand anything. These things are: pasta, caffè (coffee), and pizza. If you will ask a pasta "al dente" you will impress them a lot.
    So when is pasta "al dente"? At a certain stage when it boils, as you know, it becomes a bit whitish and softer. At this point you must take a piece with a fork, and taste it using your incisors (so you understand the expression now). With the incisors you must perceive that the pasta is soft outside and hard inside, *never* all soft. In the latter case it would be "scotta" (overcooked), and never offer it to an Italian, as it would be like offering a charred pancake to an Anglo-American, or a hot beer to a German. If you have doubts, it is better that it remains a bit raw rather than "scotta". Some Italians think that it is "al dente" only when it is a bit raw (I agree with them).

REMOVING THE HOT WATER

At this point you must take the water away using a colander, without insisting too much in taking it all away. Especially, *don't rinse it* (i.e. don't wash with water)! Generally the Anglo-Americans and the Northern Europeans do it. Don't! It changes abruptly the temperature and it interposes a water film so that the pasta will not absorb the sauce. This is a technical explanation. To the Italians it will simply seem something barbaric. The ones who rinse pasta say that they want "to take the starch away". This consideration is wrong and not really intelligent: pasta is mostly made of starch - which is healthy!

THE SAUCE

As usual, there are many opinions and family traditions. Every family has its own say. I tried many variants, and made some experiments too. Finally I decided that my mother's recipe was the best. Here it is:
    - the tomatoes (app. 800 grams - nearly two pounds - or two little cans for 4 persons) must be peeled. *I prefer the ones sold in bottles where the pulp is very visible. Do not use the "passata di pomodori", which is basically the same but with filtered tomato pulp. Buy good brands: Cirio, Star, Valfrutta, or your sauce will be tasteless (just like with the pasta: buy the best brands: Voiello, Barilla, Buitoni, De Cecco and, in general, the Southern Italian ones).
    Sometimes I add a bit of concentrated tomato to make the sauce smoother.
    - put the garlic, by *cutting into little slices* one clove.
    - *do the same with the (a quarter or one half) onion - my mom does not use it -. Cut it the "Italian way", i.e. into slices while you have it in your hands, which is better than the "French way", i.e. into very fine slices on a cutting board.
    - you should also add 2/3 (two thirds) teaspoon of sugar, which contrasts the acidity of the tomatoes. Most cooks forget this essential detail!

TIPS ON THE OLIVE OIL, BASIL, SALT AND GRATED CHEESE

Let everything cook at low fire, covering - although not entirely - with a lid, and stirring every now and then, for about 7-9 minutes. *One minute or two before turning the fire off put the basil leaves in the pot. My mother puts it at the beginning. Others put it at the end when the fire is turned off. I belong to the majority who believes, as mentioned, that one must put basil just before turning the fire off.
    At this point let it rest a minute. *I put salt at the end and no olive oil. My mom puts the salt at the beginning, and a splash of extra-virgin (and possibly Umbrian or Ligurian) olive oil (not too much!).
    Entries marked with *are my (little) variants from my mom's recipe. The brilliant idea she has is to cook the tomatoes as above mentioned. Most people put the olive oil in the pot, together with the garlic and onion (and some add celery), and they brown them before adding the tomatoes. I think that the sauce cooked this way is heavy and not as good. Mothers are always right, aren't they? I prefer as mentioned not to put olive oil, not even at the end, my mom is more normal as she puts it after it is cooked. Then of course serve the sauce on the pasta (don't put too much), and add the blessed grated Parmesan cheese ("Parmigiano" in Italian). Sometimes other cheeses are preferred, like "Pecorino romano" (salty and tasty), "Ricotta salata" (salted dry ricotta, I love it), particularly if you add fried zucchini slices, or fried aubergine slices on top of the pasta (which is then called "Pasta alla Norma"). Some prefer to add grated Grana Padano (similar to Parmigiano, but with a less sharp taste).

BUON APPETITO - HAVE A NICE MEAL!

9. snorton938

and we've got and award winning apple pie recipe......

Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie
    Marsha Brooks, Apple Pie Contest Winner 2001

N E W Y O R K, Nov. 8— When the leaves start turning colors in the fall, Marsha Brooks of Carmel, Ind., knows it is time to start baking her Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie.

It's the perfect comfort food for cooler weather, and a hit with Carmel's potluck dinner crowd. They can smell the fresh-from-the-oven pie as soon as Brooks walks in the door (See her story below). Emeril Lagasse, also lured by the mouthwatering combination of caramel and apples, named Brooks' pie the winner of his Apple Pie of Emeril's Eye Contest on Good Morning America.

Brooks joined Emeril in New York to bake her pie at the Good Morning America studios. Enjoy her winning pie recipe, and take a look at the other apple pie recipes from our finalists, just below this one.

Recipe: Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie

Ingredients:

1 pastry crust for a deep-dish pie 9-inch (homemade or store-bought)
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (You may need more if your family sits by the bowl and sneaks the sliced applies when you are not looking) Marsha likes to use golden delicious and fuji apples.
    1 recipe crumb topping (see below)
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup caramel topping
    1 oz. of TLC (tender, loving care — snort's note: awww, ain't that sweet)

Ingredients for Crumb Topping:

1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2cup all-purpose flour
    1/2cup quick cooking rolled oats
    1/2 cup butter

Directions for Crumb Topping:

1. Stir together brown sugar,flour, rolled oats.

2. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.

2. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.

3. Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell (I remove the store-bought pie shell from the aluminum pie plate and transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate of my own, but you do not have to.)

4. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.

5. Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop into your oven.

6. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.

7. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.

8. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with chopped pecans then drizzle with caramel on top.

9. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Recipe courtesy of Marsha Brooks, Apple Pie Contest 2001

as far as ice creams go, we all have our favorites: and, if you don't have one, you can take the following test to see which flavor is right for you......

http://quiz.ivillage.com/food/tests...brandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=7778474