Recipes

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Dec 1, 2017.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Post your favorite recipes here. @stevescookin , how about some of your tips from your kitchen? I remember learning from you that I could reuse grits the next day. Up until then, I had always thrown them out. I'll post some of my favorites later.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Will do.

3. stevescookin

We are a great breakfast restaurant because we only use the finest eggs I can get.

Guess where they come from ???

The children's ass !!!!
    How old are you?
    You didn't know that ???
    LOL

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My neighbor has 18 chickens. I get all of the eggs I can eat. I would probably need 75 chickens to keep you supplied!

stevescookin likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Children's asses. You are sick.

shane0911 and stevescookin like this.
  6. stevescookin

Just saw that...I swear I typed CHICKEN'S ASS.

"Children's" just popped up on autocorrect.

7. stevescookin

What I do with next day grits may be impractical in the home unless you cook a lot of grits. But, I actually measure grits. We have breakfast all day and keep them warm on a steam table behind the counter.
    Foe a gallon of grits, I use a gallon of water and a quart of dry grits...a 4:1 dilution. When the water boils, I put the leftover grits in the water. They almost dissolve and make a white "grit water". Then after it re boils, I whip in the dry grits. At first the grits are runny, but after they cook (simmer) more, they tighten up to the right texture instead of tightening up into a solid mass. You should be able to serve hot grits from a ladle without having them stick to it and not come out.

The dissolved leftover grits make them real creamy.

8. stevescookin

Another thing I do with grits is make shrimp and grits soup.

Saute small diced celery, onions and bell pepper along with lots of minced fresh garlic in some butter oil. Add a tablespoon of thyme and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add about half a gallon of seafood stock. I use water and seafood base (knorr brand).

Simmer that mixture for as long as you want to (15-20 minutes) until the celery is soft. Then add old bay seasoning to taste...about 2 tablespoons.

Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. Add cayenne or chili paste to desired hotness. Finally add shrimp...I usually use 40-50 peeled undeveined shrimp.

Simmer about 10 minutes until shrimp are done. It doesn't take much to cook a raw shrimp.

Add enough grits to thicken the soup a lot. It's like a chowder, but instead of thickening with potatoes, I use cooked grits. You can use dry grits, but it's difficult to get the right thickness...with cooked grits, the thickness is immediately apparent.

KyleK likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's been a few days. Long eno for you to have consulted with your attorney. :D

shane0911 and stevescookin like this.
  10. stevescookin

I have Roy Moore's attorney...lol

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.