Recruiting - Saban on the path again

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 1, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I know this is somewhat old new, but in the off week I was getting up to speed on our recruiting.

Do you realize (According to Tom Lemmings)

We have Two of the top 25 QB's in the HighSchool

3 - Robert Lane
    24 - Matt Flynn

And the Number 9 Tailback.

Broussard

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

As long as Coach Saban is here, I do not fear the future.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Rivals.com has LSU ranked by position nationally:

QB -- #1
    K -- #1
    DB -- #2
    OL -- #2
    RB -- #7
    TE -- #7

Not in the top 10 -- DT, DE, LB, ATH, WR

4. LSUJake

LSUJake Freshman

That great but...

That is interesting but we are going to have to replace James and Lawrence at the LB spot and we really don't have anyone IMO that can fill in now. :( Saban is a great recruiter but he really needs to land at least one big time LB and two if possible. Anyone agree or disagree?

5. red55

The recruting season ain't over yet and I expect that Saban has a LB or two coming on board. They say he's looking hard at JC linebackers as well.

This is just out. Insiders.com has LSU ranked #1 nationally right now in recruiting based on current committments and being on the short lists of top uncommitted players. They average LSU recruit is a four-star player! We lead A&M and Texas.

http://recruiting.theinsiders.com/2/73214.html

6. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

You have both Robert Lane and Matt Flynn and I have read that Jamarcus Russell is favoring LSU also. What a battle that should be for QB, but do you need to sign that many in a single year? What is bringing these kids to LSU? Must be the food, I'm hooked. Nick is doing a great job of recruiting for you guys.

7. red55

It pays to stockpile good quarterbacks. In 2000 we had Josh Booty, backed up by Rohan Davey and Craig Nall. All three are in the NFL now. We had people who could step up.

Weakness at QB is the only thing keeping LSU from competing for the national title this year. LSU offers an excellent opportunity for a talented freshman QB to compete for a starting job at at school with quality receivers that is winning. Most quick playing opportunities for freshmen are at schools that are rebuilding.

Saban is an excellent recruiter. They say his businesslike, NFL-style approach has great appeal to ambitious players and their parents who are often put off by the ass-kissing, overt snow jobs, and wild promises made by many of the recruiters out there.

It ain't the food. It's the coach.

8. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Yes, but Craig Nall transfered. Perhaps one would redshirt freeing up the need to sign another next year. If LSU were to sign all three high profile QB, I would look for at least one of them to transrfer to a place where he could start. That would be almost like losing a scholly.

9. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

red55, notice that a particular school in the SEC East whose former coach is now in the NFL is not in the Top 25 recruiting list.

10. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Doesn't mean a thing

FLA, Fla St. usually do not get early commitments for some reason they will be there in the end Though. LSU has always gotten early commitments it is strange. The School that is in real trouble in recruiting is TENN they always get a number of early commitments and they only have 1 commitment at this time and the VOL NATION up here in Tenn are getting nervous. The subject has crept into the local talk shows.

ITS NICE TO BE # 1 IN SOMETHING BUT # 1 IN THE BCS IS BETTER