Recruiting - Saban on the path again

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 1, 2002.

1. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I've noticed that same thing . .

I think its good to have early commits b/c is shows the other recuits you are going after that they can be a part of something great . .

The down side is that once someone verbally commits, the other schools know WHO their main competition is . .there by helping them in the recruiting process (may not be very nice . .but it happens).

2. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

phire phat phil!!

phire phat phil!!!!!!!!!!!
    phire phat phil!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks in Tennessee think he's a good coach. I've always maintained that he's not much of a coach, he's just always had fantastic talent. I know, I know - he has a NC, when's the last time LSU had one?? (before i was born!!)

I think he's weak. UT is down this year and won't be back up until they get a better coach. They will be back - too strong of a tradition. Just not with the pumpkin.

Auburn 28
    Ole Miss 12

UGA 34
    UF 10

SC 20
    UT 17

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I always thought the reason LSU got the early commitments was because they were the premier school in the state and the HS players wanted to make sure they had a spot reserved. Nick is recruiting a little more nationally than DiNardo (gosh, I even cringe at that name). Same is true for Bama this year. With the loss of schollys we have some recruits committing early just to reserve a spot. I think we are at 13 of our allotted 18.

4. JTV

JTV Founding Member

recruiting

I honestly believe that one of these incoming fresh QBs will be the starter before the end of 2003 season, and that scares the hell out of me. Saban is without a doubt an excellent recruiter, but in my opinion he has not adequately recruited the QB position. This hurts even more because we may not be able to fully capitalize on the amazing class of 2001(Clayton,Spears,Hill,Wilkerson,Whitworth,Addai,Carey) that forms the foundation of our team for the next two years...

5. DC-Tiger

DC-Tiger Founding Member

While LSU is listed as having 13 commitments, that figure is actually 14, cause Justin Vincent, RB, is going to count towards the 2003 class. They have it as 13 cause Vincent has to re-commit or re-sign with us.

Regarding signing two top QBs in Flynn and Lane, it is not entirely certain if Lane will actually come to LSU. He is projected to a first round pick in Baseball and may go that route. That is why Saban and his staff are still recruiting other QBs like Russell, Cliff Davis, Omer Conner, Richard Clayton, etc.

Someone mentioned that we are not in the top 10 nationally for WRs. Look for that to change as we get closer to signing day. We are in several good ones, Anthony Hill (FL), Dwayne Bowe (FL), Mark Bradford (CA), Craig Davis & Eddie Brown (LA) and have an outside shot at Chad Jackson (AL) and Robert Meacham (OK).

Similarly we are also in several good players for DT, DE, LB and ATH positions.

While LSU has traditionally recruited well in TX, MS and FL, Saban is now getting good players from CA to consider LSU and is strenthgening our efforts in AL and GA.

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I know that he is trying at LB...

A friend of mine has a little brother who is a stud LB at Hebron High in Lewisville (TX). He just got offered at LSU. Looks like ND & OK are in the lead though. Arky is his top SEC choice. Hope Nick can close the gap.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Re: I know that he is trying at LB...

Take that kid to a game in Tiger Stadium now! He needs some convincing:D

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

While this is true, the biggest problem in the past has been losing recruits to out of state schools.

Marshall Faulk --> San Diego State
    Kordell Stewart --> Colorado
    Travis Minor --> Florida State