recruiting

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Jan 26, 2002.

1. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

The Tigers' recruiting class is currently ranked 4th in the SEC (behind AU, UT, and USC), and # 14 in the nation per Rivals.

LSU had sat in the Rivals top 10 consistently until the last 2 weeks, and IMO part of the drop can be attributed to all the Saban-to-the-NFL rumors, but also Saban is recruiting several out-of-state 4 star players, and the competition for these players is fierce (schools such as Miami, Texas, and Oklahoma are recruiting some of the same players).

Nearly every player Saban is getting a verbal from is academically qualified, and Saban is truly committed to players' education. Time will prove that Saban not only will help improve the grad rate of the LSU football program, but that he will surpass the job other coaches in the SEC are doing in these department. This may be one of his most important legacies, if not the most important, he establishes at LSU.

If Saban can land a couple of more 4 star players, this class should return to the top 10. Louisiana, it should be noted, has no 4 star rated players this year (per Rivals, but even per other ratings I've seen), but Dandy Don has said Justin Vincent and Garrett Wibel are as good as any HS players he's followed year-to-year, and Alonzo Manuel is one of the most sought after players in the South (a player who has not committed, but who LSU is thought to be who he's leaning towards). Saban has nearly locked up the top talent in Louisiana the past 2 years, and next year's class is said to be stronger than this year's. If Saban can land 11 of the top 15 La. players each year (as it looks as though he'll do this year), LSU will have a solid foundation and be without question be very competitve in the SEC each year with the current staff in place.

LSU is hosting some very highly rated players this weekend, and hopefully a surprise commit will come out of these visits (such as Ben Obomano, a AL WR, or Aaron Miller, a CA DB).

Keep up the great work Coach Saban and staff!

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

another reason LSU is below Auburn is b/c the number of committments that LSU has signed vs. Auburn - I think once the recruiting time is over it will be pretty close . . .

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<< Louisiana, it should be noted, has no 4 star rated players this year (per Rivals, but even per other ratings I've seen) >>

I meant to type no 5 star players, apologies.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i think as long as coach saban gets average to above average kids who can play football, than i think LSU will be a competative team. Teams like texas, that get the top rated kids every year, but has an average coach that can't win the big games, isn't worth a darn. I'd rather have a great coach with less talent than a poor coach with great talent.