Recruit's parents say Auburn fans threw cups of ice at players

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 14, 2004.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Oh man... you guys who think that all booing should never happen need to get a freakin' life. People don't boo for one bad play or two. People boo when one or more parts of the team continuously do stupid things. In that game, the booing seemed to be directed more at the bad coaching/play-calling. Jimbo admitted that a good chunk of blame should be directed at him, by the way. His play-calling stunk that game, and he knows it. Everyone moves on, and the team improved (albeit against a much weaker opponent).

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The booing happened immediately after Randall threw the ball to the side and way out of bounds. Despite what you may think, there should be NO booing of the players or even the coaches at the college level - it will be interpreted as booing the player(s) on the field. There are recruits at every game, most of the games are televised and it can be heard by a huge audience, and most importantly there are young men putting their hearts out on the line for the university we all love.

These players are playing for free, can not even maintain a job during school, and are there for their personal enjoyment and for the enjoyment of those associated with the university, fans etc. Most of all, they play for the love of the game. There is NO REASON to boo these young men or anyone at a game.

3. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

No, but I kept my mouth shut. I certainly didn't boo, which apparently you did.

It's called maturity and respect. I know there are a lot of really immature LSU fans out there, evidently including you, but they (and you) should still show respect to the players on the field, no matter what happens. Go boo your NFL team if you want (although that's pretty sad too) where the players make a ton of money, but don't boo a bunch of college kids, or any one of them. It's sad, pathetic, immature and disrespectful. These kids don't get paid anything, most of them will not have a pro career, and every play that they're on the field they are putting themselves in a position where they could get seriously injured. So one of them (or several) don't have good games one night, you're going to boo them? That's beyond pathetic. Grow up.

4. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

First of all, the booing wasn't directed at the coaching. The booing was directed at Marcus Randall. If you think differently, then you weren't at the game, and didn't watch it on ESPN. In fact, go back and watch the tape of the ESPN coverage. Even they (the uninformed national sports media) knew what it was about. They talked about it, and immediately showed a close up of Russell on the sidelines, and talked about the fact that the fans were booing Randall.

Fans booing their QB on national television. Yeah, real classy. The coaching was not good, and the players weren't good either, but that's no excuse. Most of us fans were both embarrased and ashamed.

And I'm just sure "the team improved" because of the lack of respect shown its' players by a bunch of immature fans. Great job guys. Be sure and keep booing them so they can keep improving. :thumb: (For those of you not smart enough to figure it out, that was sarcasm.)

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

The worst thing I ever saw at a game was Wade Richey's senior year when they announced his name at the last game of the season as they paid "tribute" to the seniors before the game. A bunch of morons booed him. Saddest display I have ever seen. I'm not going to boo a Tiger team or player no matter how badly they are playing.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Guess the responses from Auburn fans won't coincide with that story.

Amazing how one responds when the shoe is on the other foot.

Barring any hurricane Ivan destruction, I'm expecting a few friends over for the game--including an Auburn alum. Should be interesting. I don't know this Auburn girl--she just happens to be a friend of a friend, but I guess I'll be playing "happy host"....... well.....somewhat!!!! :wink:

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I can't speak for everyone, but the only play I booed, was the reverse to Skyler Green on 3rd and 2. Didn't think it was the right to call a reverse with your #1 wideout when he's got a sprained ankle and was listed as "80%".

A lot of the mistakes we made in the Oregon St. game should be credited to the obvious:

1. Weather was horrible and the field conditions DID play a big role in it.
    2. We're NOT blessed with Devery Henderson and Michael Clayton's poise and composure just yet. Skyler Green is the only player with substantial experience. Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis are next, and even they don't have a lot of game experience.

Weather is something that you can't control or work on to improve. But with each game, such as the case against ASU, our young receivers come into their own and gain experience.

8. BB

BB Founding Member

Worst thing I ever saw was when the opposing team went out onto the field prior to kickoff and jumped up and down on the eye of the Tiger in a true display of disrespect and lack of class... Wait, that was Auburn.

Worst thing I ever saw was when the KICKER for the opposing team (in full pads and in the way) took a swing at a member of the BAND during the halftime show on our field... Wait, that was Auburn.

Worst thing I ever saw was when the coach for an opposing team smoked cigars in Tiger Stadium following a victory and... Wait, that was Auburn.

Worst thing I ever saw was when a University went behind the head coach's back and entered into informal discussions with his replacement on a runway, cloak and dagger style... Wait, that was Auburn.

Forget it...

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I was at the game and have watched the replay twice and not once did I get the feeling that the booing was directed at Randall only, nor did those around me. The feeling I got was everyone was disapointed at the lack of production of the offense as a whole and in speaking with those around me they felt the same way. There is no way anyone could say that Randall was the only player on offense that looked pitiful and in fact 99.9% of the offensive players played poorly along with a piss poor game plan by the coaching staff. Much of the talk around me at the half was about how the coaching staff was hand cuffing the offense with poor play calling. With such a poor offensive display as a whole in the first half how in the world would the media know what individual fans are booing about? They just took what they thought was a good story and ran with it. I'm not saying the booing was the right thing to do, but those swearing it was all directed towards Randall have as much credibility as Bill Clinton.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I wish I could say my experience was the same. I can recall at least a handfull of specific people who's boo's were accompanied by "Randall sucks bad" types of slurs. Myself and many others in that area were quite annoyed with this and those people got an earful.