recruting class

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerfan1303, Jan 31, 2005.

1. tigerfan1303

tigerfan1303 Founding Member

How do you all picture this recruiting class? How will we end up finishing in the rankings?

GOD i miss Saban, but I think Miles will do great work.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

This is a class that I think will be under appreciated by the rankings. I think, depending on RP, Bennett, Shelley and Jean-Francois, right now we have a minimum top 15 class (again, not sure how they actually figure out the rankings--but I think it appears to be heavier on the "quantity" side, more so than the quality).

If RP, MB, SS and RJF sign with LSU, we jump top 10 easily. PERHAPS top 5.

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

It will be a bust if RP don't sign according to some on the Auburn board.

cadillacattack
    (1/31/05 3:37:21 pm )

Re: Saban is still giving to LSU....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LSU's recruting season hinges on the commitment of Ryan Perriloux.

Regardless of what the recruiting pundits will say, most LSU fans will consider this class a bust if they don't get a commit from RP. Perhaps an unfair expectation, but realistic nonetheless.
    "Illegitimus non Carborundum

4. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Maybe I read that wrong but I don't think he said it will be a bust. I'm pretty sure he said most LSU fans will think it is a bust. Which may or may not be true.

I think ya'lls class is pretty good considering the coaching change. It won't stack up with the previous 2, but who could expect it to?

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Plus the fact while other schools could offer scholarships to 20-30 players LSU has what 15 at best ????

Makes a difference when you cannot commit a scholarship to a large range of players....

6. kjntiger

kjntiger Founding Member

don't think about quantity in this class. what we need is quality since we have so few schollies. and it certainly looks like we have quality and hopefully it will get even better tomorrow.

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

No, you read it right aubie. I never wrote it to say caddy said it would be a bust.
    Hey caddy, you gonna change the username? :)

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

The best we can probably do is top 15...

Most likely top 15 is RP signs..

As far as Quality(i.e. average stars per recruit):

This will be a top 5 class.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Dallas, you've got it right. I don't give a crap about the ranking, but the average star rating is a good (though probably still dubious) measuring stick. The real test of the class will be over the next 2-4 years.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

In my opinion LSU needs to fill the following slots: one quarterback, twi defensive linemen, one receiver, two offensive linemen and two defensive backs.

Here is what it is looking like as of now:
    Quarterback: While we have a shot at Perilloux, I have always maintained that he will go to Texas where he has always said he will go. He has committed to Texas and has never de-committed. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see him coming to Tigerland. No quarterbacks will be recruited this year.

Defensive Line: LSU is looking pretty good here. We have our two DL in Al Jones and Jerrell Powe (although Powe will not be available for a while and could always change his mind.) With Gabe McKenzie committing to Auburn (no surprise there - LSU was always a longshot) we still have a legitimate shot at snaring Ricky Jean-Francois. Keep your fingers crossed. With Powe being unavailable for the next year or so, we could use one more strong recruite on the defensive line for next year.

Receivers: Unfortunately we lost Pat Turner to USC. DeSean Jackson may be out best bet at pulling in a top receiver, assuming he does not go pro baseball. Fred Rouse is technically still a possibility, but I have my doubts.

Defensive Backs: Looking great here. We have our two slots filled with Darryl Beckwith and Chris Hawkins, both "4-star" players. In addition, we still have a chance of getting Derek Pegues and/or Nic Harris.

Offensive Line: The decision Nick Saban to move to Miami hurt LSU bad in regards to the offensive line. The loss of Kevin Meyers and Ishie Oduegwu is directly attributable to his decision. The other three standouts - Calvin Wilson, Michael Oher and Chris Scott has committed to Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Tennessee respectively. I don't see LSU picking up any top-notch (4 & 5 star players) this year.

So in summary, we are looking strongest in the defensive line. We don't look good at all in regards to the offensive line. While the quarterback situation is questionable, I don't hold out much hope of getting RP. How we do in regards to receivers and defensive backs will make or break LSU's recruiting effort this year.