Redshirt Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I have had several different answers.

If a player plays one play does that mean his redshirt is burned up ?

I am curious on Williams and Scott. Are their redshirts gone now ? I mean I know they can redshirt a following year.

Someone told me - they can play a certain amount of plays in the first three games.
    Another said Nope one play and your done.

if so I am curious on Miles decision to put in Keiland Willams.

Thanks

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Rule loophole will allow them to play the first 20% of the season and still get a medical redshirt.

Neither will be redshirted though anyway. Scott should get the start this week if you ask me, and Williams is gonna be in the mix.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

One play and you're done. It's really that simple.

The confusion starts with the medical hardship waiver, also known as a medical redshirt. You can qualify for this if you are injured in the first half of the season and you have not played in more than 20% of the games.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The rule must have changed recently. In years past you could play a certain percentage of time up to a cutoff and still redshirt, correct??

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I agree with the poster who said Williams and Scott will play. In case you haven't noticed, we have little to no depth at RB without those two.

6. TigerWins

I don't recall any major redshirt rule changes in the last few years, but I'm not positive.

As long as I can remember, the assumption was that you can play in your first 3 games and still redshirt. Honestly, I think the medical hardship waiver applied back then, but the NCAA simply looked the other way and allowed schools to request hardships for minor injuries.

That's just my take on it.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Redshirt Definition from ncaa.org

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

from http://www.lincolnu.edu/pages/1028.asp

Redshirt: The term "redshirt" is not an official NCAA term. It is simply a reference to a year in which a student-athlete does not use a season of eligibility. This is usually a conscious decision made by the coaching staff so that an individual can have time to concentrate on academics, gain strength or gain knowledge of a sport.

Medical Redshirt: The term "medical redshirt" is not an official NCAA term either. It is also a reference to a year in which a student-athlete does not use a season of eligibility. As the term suggests, a "medical redshirt" occurs when the student-athlete does not compete due to an injury or illness. If a student-athlete actually competes during a given year and is then injured, he/she must apply for a medical hardship waiver so that he/she will not be charged with a season of eligibility.

Medical Hardship Waiver: This waiver allows a student-athlete to be granted an additional season of competition when he/she has participated in competition during a given year but subsequently suffers a season-ending injury. A student-athlete may qualify for this waiver when he/she has participated in 20% or less of his/her team's competitive events for the season (e.g., 3 games of an 11 game football schedule), his/her participation occurred only during the first half of the season and he/she suffered a season ending injury. These waivers may not be officially requested and granted until the completion of the season in which the student-athlete was injured.

8. TigerWins

Saved this little gem from previous discussions..

NCAA Rule 14.2.4 Criteria for Medical Hardship

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Thanks. I obviously was getting redshirt and the medical redshirt confused.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Ask Travis Daniels about the "one play" rule.