Reed is the camp's best in Buffalo!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

article

Reed tops camp's best

Associated Press
    Receiver Josh Reed has drawn rave reviews from his teammates in training camp so far.

By MARK GAUGHAN
    News Sports Reporter
    8/12/2002

PITTSFORD - Buffalo Bills coach Gregg Williams says fullback Larry Centers has come up to him a couple of times this summer and given him a veteran scouting report on rookie receiver Josh Reed.
    "Go ahead and put his name on the back of his jersey," Centers told Williams.

You don't need to be a 13-year veteran such as Centers to see that Reed has been the standout young performer of Bills training camp thus far at St. John Fisher College.

The second-round draft choice out of Louisiana State University hardly ever drops a pass. He gets open. He's solidly built. He shows good running ability in the open field.

Reed looks like a lock to be the Bills' No. 3 receiver out of the slot position when the team opens the regular season against the New York Jets in 27 days.

"I think he's had a great camp," Bills quarterback Alex Van Pelt said. "He's made play after play. He's getting a ton of reps so he's getting in great shape. I think everybody's pleasantly happy with his progress. As the preseason goes on and we get him more playing time it will help."

Reed isn't tall, at 5-foot-10. But he showed in the practice against Cleveland he can get open. He caught a ton of passes. In the scrimmage the next day, the Browns were showing him a lot more attention. He had a couple of nice catches in traffic against Cincinnati.

"I see a lot of Wayne Chrebet in him," said Van Pelt in reference to the New York Jets' star slot receiver. "I see a lot of niftiness in the slot. The biggest thing is either you have that feel inside or you don't. It's tough to teach it. He obviously has a knack for getting into open spaces."

Nineteen days into workouts, Reed is the obvious hot commodity of camp. Here's a rundown of other hot performers, as well as some not-so-hot campers thus far, with an emphasis on the young players.