Referees

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GORDO, Dec 3, 2002.

?

How many HS football players will ARK sign this year from the state of Louisiana?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2002.
  1. 0

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 1

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 2-3

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 4-6

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Over 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GORDO

GORDO Founding Member

:rolleyes: Not since the Alabama/Arkansas game of ______ (insert year of choice) have I ever heard such moaning and groaning about officiating. How can it be so shocking that LSU lost that you would have to blame it on the officials? Hell, I thought that the officials were going to ruin Arkansas' chances when they called the roughing the kicker call that gave LSU the ball back.

Remember that LSU hasn't been playing that convincing of ball this year. Turns out that the Virginia Tech team that beat up LSU is just an adequate team. LSU was throttled by both Auburn and Alabama. LSU barely held on against a struggling Ole Miss team and they needed a Hail Mary pass to beat Kentucky. They weren't playing the best football the latter 1/2 of the season and were fortunate to be in the position that they were in to win the West when they played Arkansas. Arkansas was the same way. We were pretty fortunate to be there, as well. But considering that LSU was top 15 to start the season and Arkansas was picked last or next to last in the West, it wouldn't have been such a shock for Arkansas to lose to LSU. Fortunately, LSU pass defense broke down just enough in the last minute for us to win. Just look ahead and quit dwelling on the game last Friday.

GEAUX LSU, BEAT THE SHORTHORNS!!!!!!!!!!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Why don't you heed your own advice?

Don't lurk an LSU board and then lecture us because you hear things you don't like. Hang around and you're going to hear more. Just go the hell away and you won't have to hear them! Just logout. Adios.

Go lurk the Georgia boards, will you. I'm sure there are lots of Bulldogs waiting for your insults. I'm tired of your sh!t.

3. GORDO

GORDO Founding Member

Insults?

:confused: Where have I insulted anyone? I am posting on this board no differently than anyone else. I'm not a lurker. I just discovered this board and started posting on it immediately after I found out about it. If you are tired of my "sh!t", then that's a shame. Don't read my posts. I have typed nothing that is insulting or demeaning, and I have even reinforced some statements that your fellow LSU fans have made. So just calm down.

BTW, you keep telling me that I am hearing things that I don't like, and if I stick around I will hear more. Are there sound bytes on this board? I haven't heard anything since I started posting on here. All I have been able to do is read stuff so far!

4. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

ok enuf hog gordo

Yes - LSU was playing "adequate" ball. No wait a minute, they were playing bad ball at the end of the year.

Moan about the refs, yep, we sure did. I am still pissed about the missed XP and the 4th down TD that was not really a score. I think that if you lined up LSU and Ark 10 times, we beat you 11 - Ark just got lucky and LSU got stupid. Our bad.

I'll tell you this, though, if LSU would have stopped that miracle, we sure would not be being considered for the I Bowl if we lose the SECCG. We'd go to a NY day bowl for sure. Better fans, better schedule and better tradition. Period, end of story.

Now why don't you whine about how the SEC is disrespecting Arkansas? They're doing plenty of whining on woopig. Truth of the matter is - Arkansas lucked into the SECW and played a weak OOC schedule. That's why the bowls don't like the hogs. Judging from how you are being religated to the posibility of the Ibowl in Shreveport, they obviously don't think Hog fans travel, either - which is a sign of a weak program.

Sure - Arkansas tripped over its d!ck to get to the SECCG, but everyone knows that it's really the 4th best team in the SECW. The truth hurts.

5. GORDO

GORDO Founding Member

LMAO

I'm not going to whine about anything. I wouldn't mind going to the Independence Bowl if we lose on Saturday. Below the BCS, what does any other bowl matter? At least make it close for travel sake. I don't think that Arkansas is disrespected at all. In fact, sometimes I think that we are overrespected. The reason that LSU would get into a NYD bowl and ARK wouldn't, is simple. With the exception of the Outback, ARK has already been to those other bowls. When ARK didn't even make the SECCG in 1998, we went to the Citrus. When ARK wasn't even ranked last year, we went to the Cotton. When ARK was 7-5 three years ago, we went to the Cotton. Why in the world would you otherwise think that the Cotton would favor a LSU-Texas matchup over a historical rivalry like Texas-Arkansas (BTW, the last two times ARK was in the Cotton Bowl, it was a total sell-out, with Arkansas out-selling Texas fans three years ago? Because Arkansas has been there 2 of the last three years. Of course we won't go back this year. I actually HOPE that LSU goes to the Cotton over Arkansas. I just want to go to a bowl game in Louisiana. Preferrably in New Orleans, but Shreveport will suffice if we don't make the BCS. There may be some Arkansas fans complaining about our bowl game, but it won't be me. We have been bowling just fine the past four years.

Still not sure how Arkansas got lucky by completing two open passes at the end of the game for a TD. I mean, Arkansas DID score three TDs to LSU's two TDs. LSU might have played stupid, but to call taking advantage of that stupidity "lucky"...a bit foolish. Just as saying that a team that only lost one game to a Western division opponent is the 4th best team in the West. Exactly which teams besides cheating Alabama would you put above Arkansas? LSU, whom we beat? Auburn, whom we slaughtered AT Auburn? Ole Miss, whom we stomped? At least make some sense before you type errant statements.

6. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Actually, Virginia Tech did not "beat up" LSU. LSU beat LSU in that game. Look at the film. Look at the stats.

As far as being "fortunate to be in the position" that we were in. That is just not true. More like "unfortunate" because of losing so many key players. Keep them and we beat you and end up in the SECC and the top 15 where we originally were forcast to end up. Actually, if we would have had those players, we would have beaten Bummer and the Arky game would have been meaningless.

7. GORDO

GORDO Founding Member

Really?

Those 2 or 3 players would have turned a 31-0 shellacking at home into a win? I am having a hard time believing that. Plus, you have no idea whether those players would have made a bit of difference. Arkansas had about as many key players injured as LSU, but I don't think that they would have been the difference in us winning or losing the game. Considering Randall's numbers and the fact that he was player of the game, Mauck probably wouldn't have done any better and possibly even done worse.

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL THOUGHT....

You're original thought about the "whining" about the officiating has been lost in the trash....let's bring it back front and center. Ref's are something we have to realize have become a joke in college and pro. they should not be the ones deciding the outcome of the game (not that the blown calls they had in this game would have "guaranteed" an LSU victory). Food for thought:

1) 3rd and 8 in the 2nd Qtr - Randall pass to Clayton for a first down - he is mugged by Richardson - no question contact made well before the ball ever arrives- no call and the drive dies....believe the ball was around mid-field---what could have been.

2) What most believe was a Randall overthrow into no-man's land on a deep bomb actually had a purpose. Addai came out of the backfield on a fly pattern on the left hash mark.....about 20 yards down field he gets cleaned out by Hamlin.....before the ball is in the air....again obvious pass interference (unless the 5 yd rule extends further down the field for these ref's)....could he or would he have caught it? who knows.....what could have been.

3) The most infamous goal line stand....was he in or out....NOT ONE person can say for sure....there is no camera angle that shows a clear decisive view. I rest my belief that he did not get in on the fact that B James was standing on the goal line and did not lose 1 inch of ground when Pierce dove for the endzone. If the call goes the other way who know's what would have happened....safety? Ark loses confidence? lsu drive 99 yds for score? Most likely that lsu goes 3 and out and Ark starts another possession in good field position but with 7 less points.

4) Roughing the kicker.......it was as obvious as #1 and #2 above.

5) Spot of the ball on Ark's first 4th down attempt. The spot of the ball was at least a yard further than the runner actually achieved. Correct spot and on Jones' sneak he is not even close...lsu takes over around midfield.

I can live with #3 and #5 b/c it's more judgment. But #1, #2, #4 there is no excuse. those are obvious to anyone and the call has got to be made.

9. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Re: Really?

Did you watch our Bummer game? The game was close until midway through the 3rd quarter (we fumbled on their 20 when we were down by 14). Then the defense packed it in. With Mauck and a healthy Toe and DJ, yes, we could have won that game. I even think that without the 4 interceptions in the AU game we would have been in that game with Mauck.

You cannot see the difference between Mauck and Randall because apparently you do not follow LSU very closely. Randall's numbers in the past few games are attributable to the offensive line pass blocking coming around. Mauck ran for his life in all but the FL game. Even there he was pressured. With Mauck in the last few games behind the more mature pass blocking, we open it up MUCH more and are much more dominating. If either QB could have played the entire season, I think we would be talking top 15. Randall is still very green and our offense is still very predictable at this point. If we could have played in the SECC, then I think that Randall at that point would equal Mauck after FL.

As far as Arky having equivalent injuries, that is not possible unless you lost your QB and Free Safety. Those two guys (along with the middle LB and Center) run the game. Those are critical loses. Even without these guys, we ended up a respectable 8-4. I think that it was a pretty good season considering.

10. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

Gordo...

..ok first of all you can't start a thread with a smartass poll about how many Louisiana players we expect will commit to Arkansas and then expect anybody to respect you here. That's strike one before the discussion even starts. Second of all, if Arkansas fans travel well why did Arkansas release tickets back to the SEC which went to UGA fans? What's the matter your fans would rather not go to Atlanta to lose for the 2nd time?