Refs at Bama

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Jul 17, 2010.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

It's easy to be magnanimous when you are the beneficiary, bammer.

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Funny video. Kind of sad how blatant it was. I tried to forget. Still funny though.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Yes, this is true. However if the shoe was on the other foot, I would expect the same. Ton of missed calls last year by the SEC. I personally thought Florida vs Arkansas was about the most grievous that I watched all year. (Yes, PP was in)

I know some things went well for LSU starting with the Miss. St. game. Certainly, against Georgia, enjoyed a big break, even Arkansas, with a lot of player's hurt, things went well at the end. Refs and all, these things promise to keep the "wild" in west this year.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Yes, and since the NCAA is apparently far more concerned about turning college football into the new "no fun league" than improving officiating quality, we also get to see how many TDs get taken off the scoreboard this season thanks to the new and improved unsportsmanlike conduct rule.

Because nothing says integrity like the discretion of an SEC officiating crew. :dis:

5. TUSKtimes

As long as you're not signing autographs and teaching the defense sign language on your way in for a touchdown, you should be OK.

Nothing says no, like taking 6 points off the board. I'm guessing no repeat offenders.

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Book it. Someone will be called for something like diving into the endzone, in a situation where it was purely done to avoid a tackle.

7. TUSKtimes

Could happen, but much like the "throat slash" gesture that soon bit the dust, some of these emotions need to be regulated. Usually, this discussion gets divided among the old school guys and gals and the younger new school.

Either way, for the refs, it is a judgment call. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of sportsmanship, but I'm definitely old school.

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

It's nothing like the throat slash gesture. Let me know if I'm wrong, but an Ole Miss player was penalized last year for diving into the endzone for no other reason than to avoid a tackle against LSU.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm also guessing Bama won't have to worry about that too much. Start with the simple things first, let's get holding to be called as an actual penalty again. If that takes too much mental effort for the SEC officiating brain trust, then color me skeptical on how the new rule will be applied.

The rule will most certainly be abused, and egregiously so, by an SEC crew by the time the season is over. If the call favors Bama or Florida, well, we all know the wagon circling routine by now.

10. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Exactly, it won't be an irrelevant call either. It will be in a close game where the call make a huge impact on the outcome.