Refs at Bama

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Jul 17, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

That is precisely the problem. I wouldn't trust these bozos to judge a pie-eating contest without money changing hands.

2. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

When it benefits the SEC to have fairly called games it will happen. Until then certain teams will continue to be the beneficiary of questionable calls.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

It is as far as being an unsportsmanlike penalty. Misinterpreting these acts is what we all live with. This rule covers many types of behavior. Showing up a defender by diving into the end zone has become common as well as dangerous. These guys have now opened up all this scrutiny for everyone else. The "showboaters" have brought this on the rest, as they always do.

We've seen holding calls that weren't, phantom calls on clipping and every other penalty invented, they've all been called wrong, at some time or another.

This penalty which has come specifically because of taunting, will not be called perfectly. But I for one, appreciate what they're trying to do.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I don't, because the NCAA in general, and SEC in particular, have far bigger issues than little Johnny diving into the end zone after a TD.

Officiating quality seems to be the 800-lb gorilla that nobody in an official capacity ever seems to want to talk about. It's the David Stern approach: "Everything's fine here, but if you say something to the media I'll fine your a$$ off." Season after season there are numerous controversial calls/non-calls in situations where the right call is obvious to everyone with a functioning brain. This was the reason for instant replay. In the old days when all you had was an official's own two eyes reacting at normal speed, those types of mistakes are understandable. Today there is no excuse for not getting a call right aside from bang-bang plays. If every possible reasonable measure were taken to improve officiating quality, then I could live with these problems, but that's far from the case.

• Nobody, and I do mean nobody, seems interested in busting up the good ole boys officiating club in each conference, especially the SEC. A very good suggestion that's come up in recent years is putting all officials from each conference in a larger geographic pool. That way you don't have the same crews screwing up big calls in all the same big games. As far as I know, implementing this idea on a national scale hasn't even gotten a fair hearing by the powers that be.
    • Transparent evaluation standards, instead of handling everything in-house, behind closed doors can go a long way toward establishing fans' trust in officials' objectivity. Have the coordinator of officials or an objective outside body look at the game footage, analyze it, and put the results out for public consumption. I believe Steve mentioned at one time that the Big 12 does something very similar, sending game tape to a group of NFL officials for evaluation. I also think the NFL coordinator of officials comes on the NFL Network every week to discuss controversial calls.
    • Modernize instant replay equipment. There is absolutely zero excuse for member schools, especially in the cash-flush SEC, not to have top-notch HD video equipment in the replay booth. It is never acceptable for a fan sitting at home to have a better view of a crucial play than the replay official at the actual game.
    • Overhaul of the hodge-podge, make it up as you go along, instant replay system, including having the NCAA (NOT schools, NOT the conference) assign currently active officials to be the replay official, as part of a regular crew. Overhaul also includes the prevention of anyone even remotely affiliated with a school being present in the replay booth. No way in hell would I have allowed this Burleson guy anywhere near Bama-LSU, nor would I have allowed someone with LSU connections in the TS replay booth. This is a very basic step to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
    And this is all stuff off the top of my head. Tackle the more serious stuff first, then worry about the existential threat of a college kid excited about a touchdown hot-dogging into the end zone.

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I played Pop Warner when I was little. Rule #1 was homework comes first. Technically, that should still apply and in most ways it does to college athletics. Rule #2 was to always be a good sport. That meant never talking to the referee, being a teammate, helping other players up, etc. Included in that was the rule that if you ever spiked a ball after scoring a touchdown, you immediately were subbed out and sat out the rest of the game. No excuses, if you did it, you were done. Our fastest running back did it once, and he quickly found out that coach wasn't kidding and he was done for the day.

Being fired up is one thing, but it's gotten out of hand when teams all run on the field and stomp on logos, taunt before games, and all of that other garbage.

As far as I am concerned, players should know what not to do by now. They have more than enough time to get it in their head that you give the ball to the referee and party with the rest of us after the game.

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Of course, you appreciate it. It won't hurt Alabama any. Someone will get screwed out of a victory as a result of this. Even the NFL isn't this stupid. Under these rules, the Tracy Porter INT would be nullified and the ball placed on the 30ish. For what reason, because he acknowledged the fans?

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I just don't like the "we are right, even when we are wrong" mentality the SEC home office and officials have when they do blow it. They did take a stance after the Arkansas Florida game, but only because it was the same crew that got an earful after the call on AJ Green the week before against us. If we can't get good officials in the SEC then the NCAA needs to step in and give fines to Southeastern Conference every time there are numerous botched calls and nothing is done after the game. The officials need to fined, or suspended. And i am not talking about 1 blown call, that happens all the time. But when an obvious replay isn't overturned, or a crew makes bad call after bad call after bad call, they should either be fined, suspended or canned. Also people who have any affiliations with the teams on the field should not be allowed to call that game, or be in the replay booth.

8. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I'm with you. I hope they can continue to improve officiating, instant replay, and all things that make a better game.........but

These players have some serious responsibility to play according to the standards set. When I see players jumping offsides, getting unsportsmanlike penalties, that's not a ref problem, it's a discipline problem, which makes it a coaching problem. Many college coaches won't do what your Pop Warner coach was willing to do. First, instilling and then holding their players accountable when it comes to good sportsmanship.

Good coaches will tell you "you play like you practice." Saturdays will tell you in a hurry how the week really went.

9. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Why? Bama got the better of bad officiating all year.Forget the interception, a six yard procedure penalty on 4th and six?

1 person likes this.
  10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Bad calls are going to be made, it is just going to happen. My only contention is that they be made equally. If the refs make a bad call that assists one team then they need to do the same for the other team. Unfortunately there will always be a disparity in the officiating, especially in the SEC.

As to you Tusk, don't even try to come on here and try to play the equal justice card. Your entire season was marred by poor officiating last season. If not for the refs you guys would have lost at least 2 games and never been in the SECCG or the BCSNCG. This isn’t' to say that LSU hasn't received their fair share of questionable calls that went in our favor, but not in my life have I witnessed so many blatant bad calls that altered the outcome of games.

1 person likes this.